What's new

Iranian Air Defense Systems

If indeed such radars can detect any stealth aircraft, they are very, very, very vulnerable because they are cumbersome.
The problem with such hardware, they are very vulnerable, because they are not mobile. During Desert Storm in January 1991, for the US coalition, the first critical objective was to destroy the Iraqi radar VHF station. The US sent commandos -there is not boasted by Western media -, helped by the fifth column among Iraqi leaders they destroyed Iraqi radar stations. Thus they could send their F-117 to bomb other Iraqi targets. No doubt that, in case of conflict with Iran, US green berets will be sent to destroy these critical targets.
I think US special forces are already training to destroy these iranian targets.

Quite a cost effective system that makes use of already existing MANPADS. Great for use against sub/transonic cruise missiles, UAVs and precision guided bombs. It is certainly a good addition to Iran's air defence layer.

I always wondered about these shoulder fired missiles launchers..IR detectors work the best when they are cooled..do these launchers actually have electrical cooling systems to cool the detector or are they using detectors that need no cooling..does anyone know..!!!

If indeed such radars can detect any stealth aircraft, they are very, very, very vulnerable because they are cumbersome.
The problem with such hardware, they are very vulnerable, because they are not mobile. During Desert Storm in January 1991, for the US coalition, the first critical objective was to destroy the Iraqi radar VHF station. The US sent commandos -there is not boasted by Western media -, helped by the fifth column among Iraqi leaders they destroyed Iraqi radar stations. Thus they could send their F-117 to bomb other Iraqi targets. No doubt that, in case of conflict with Iran, US green berets will be sent to destroy these critical targets.
I think US special forces are already training to destroy these iranian targets.
The main purpose of this type of radars is to provide valuable early warnings against low flying targets especially cruise missiles during the first opening hours of conflict and despite its vulnerabilities it can accomplish this task with some protection, afterwards its destruction is inevitable

A while back I watched a youtube video, here is the link to it:
is it possible that the photonic stuff in the youtube comment and the Quantum radars are related?

They seem to be talking about some physical entities that are spread in the air that would raise the RCS of any object that flies through them. Whilst this is certainly possible in theory, there are obvious practical issues, such the size of airspace you need to cover and how you will spread such a thing and keep it where you want it. So I would not give too much attention to these YouTube comments. They're based on fantastical desires rather than real projects. If there was such an available information OSINT wise, we would have known about it. Quantum radars on the other hand are real and coming in the not so distant future to Iran.

This manpad based system will be excellent for the naval forces as well and serve as a good supplement and stop gap until oghab comes along.
Couple this with gatling guns or zu-23s and a mesbah type radar and eo/ir and there is a kashtan like system for the navy right there.

I always wondered about these shoulder fired missiles launchers..IR detectors work the best when they are cooled..do these launchers actually have electrical cooling systems to cool the detector or are they using detectors that need no cooling..does anyone know..!!!
Most of them use cooled ir detectors,theres usually a replaceable component called the battery coolant unit [BCU] on the grip stock which is triggered as part of the activation process.
slide14-n.jpg

Iran has impressive home grown capabilities as far as ground based radar systems, and SAM systems go. About 100x better than Pakistan's right now(no real home grown radar in use anywhere of any value - other than a tiny ground survellance radar ).....

Even Indian's has mastered this space and have significant systems that are home grown, and Egypt has announced some systems recently aswel..

This systems are progressive and iterative in their development and take time to mature, so the fact that Pakistan essentially has nothing now is shocking.

Why is Pakistan so far behind in this radar development?!? ie it is not even in contention right now..

Back
Top Bottom