What's new

Iranian Air Defense Systems

To be more powerful than S-500, Iran would need a missile that can intercept HGV targets not just SCUD and fixed trajectory BMs. Also a system that is extremely resilient to EW/ECW.

Somehow I doubt Iran will be able to overtake the leader in air defense technology (Russians) in a less than 2 decades (Bavar was started in circa 2009). Russians have been making air defense systems since before Iran was able to manufacture a gun on its own. So I take these claims of “better than S-500” with a grain of salt.

Nonetheless, Iran’s advancements in field of air defense in such a short time is nothing but remarkable in my opinion.

how dose Iran overcome EW/ECW ? read the article below.

HGV targets: well Iran already has Haj Qasem missile fastest tactical ballistic missile with HGV trajectory that can test its S-500 (Bavar-474) on it.

Bavar can surpass the capabilities of S-400 relatively easily. The main area in which S-400 is currently superior to our Bavar is in the range of missile, this can be dealt with by Iran with no major problem. Also, do not forget our Bavar uses AESA radars whereas the S-400 uses non-AESA systems. Thus Bavar surpassing S-400 in next few years will not only not surprise me, but I am expecting it to happen.

Regarding the S-500, we (in the public) need to wait and see its specifications before we can comment on it. It would not be a shock to know the Iranian officials may have more information regarding its capabilities than us relying on OSINT data. From what I can see, the S-500 is more of a dedicated missile defence system. How capable it will be on paper against HGV remains to be seem. It is thus more difficult to do hypothetical comparison regarding future Bavar and S-500. However, there is no question that defence against hypersonic and space based systems will become a major threat in the future and Iran must prepare accordingly.

how dose Iran overcome EW/ECW ? read the article below.

HGV targets: well Iran already has Haj Qasem missile fastest tactical ballistic missile with HGV trajectory that can test its S-500 (Bavar-474) on it.

You should probably read the article you referenced as even Iran admits the drone never turned on its jammer.

Also the ECW/EW I refer to is not just from aircraft, but cyber warfare and dedicated ECW/EW that the US has up its sleeves for wartime.

I refer to ECW/EW against the system and not just the missile.

Also Haj Qasem missile is a missile not an ABM. For Iran to intercept a Haj Qasem missile it needs to build an ABM that can move very fast and agile enough to counter the movement Qasem missile makes. It needs to have enough penalty energy to be able to make deviations without running out of energy. Also it needs to be able to intercept a quasi BM missile meaning within the atmosphere envelope instead of traditional BMs that seek to intercept outside that envelope or just don’t have penalty energy to account for the adjustments Qasem missile can make.

it seems Iran will soon unveil a anti cruise missile system

پیشرفتهای خوبی در سامانه های پدافندی ضد کروز و سامانه های چابک پدافند هوایی دست یافته ایم و محصولات جدیدی در زمینه پدافند هوایی شناورها معرفی خواهیم کرد.

Probably on 22 September---40th anniversary of Iran-Iraq war---Sacred Defence Week

it seems Iran will soon unveil a anti cruise missile system

پیشرفتهای خوبی در سامانه های پدافندی ضد کروز و سامانه های چابک پدافند هوایی دست یافته ایم و محصولات جدیدی در زمینه پدافند هوایی شناورها معرفی خواهیم کرد.

Very hard to counter cruise missile in the modern world, best bet are probably aerostat with radars or AWACS. Even than, targeting them is harder given Iran's mountainous terrain and NOE flight many cruise missiles fly.

Very hard to counter cruise missile in the modern world, best bet are probably aerostat with radars or AWACS. Even than, targeting them is harder given Iran's mountainous terrain and NOE flight many cruise missiles fly.

It’s a short range system using dual IF/optical imaging alongside its own radar as well as data link to National Iranian air defense network. This is how it will locate the CM.

It’s goal is to protect its kill sphere. It’s goal isn’t to protect all of Iran.

It’s a short range system using dual IF/optical imaging alongside its own radar as well as data link to National Iranian air defense network. This is how it will locate the CM.

It’s goal is to protect its kill sphere. It’s goal isn’t to protect all of Iran.
Of course it is a point defense system, but the problem i see with intercepting cruise missiles in general is they are usually launched in swarms depending on the importance of the target which makes interception of every single missile almost impossible. That is a major threat even big powers cannot combat.

They said they will unveil oghab(iranian tor) and separ(iranian pantsir). This one is different?

you said Iran lacks space observation, so currently Iran will not
After October I RGC will launch satellite into space it is so decided so in the next two years we are hoping we can do it
the actual missile is ready and the seeker and .............. Are ready so it’s just a matter of getting it to work

Last edited:
agreed it will probably be a short range Tor like system well Iran's high terrain will give it an advantage too if Iran add long range radar on its mountainous terrain then it can see much larger in range

After October I RGC will launch satellite into space it is so decided so in the next two years we are hoping we can do it
the actual missile is ready and the seeker and .............. Are ready so it’s just a matter of getting it to work

Meaning: IRGC has already launched several observational satellites during these years, but not publicly...

For sure Iran has "some" observational satellites orbiting Earth since some years...

Iran is the master of deception!

Meaning: IRGC has already launched several observational satellites during these years, but not publicly...

For sure Iran has "some" observational satellites orbiting Earth since some years...

Space doesn’t work like that. There are laws to space and Iran has to declare its orbital space it intends to put objects into at time of launch as well as the time so other satellites can maintain a safe distance during insertion.

Space isn’t a no mans land where anyone can just shoot something up at anytime without giving advance notice. There are thousands of satellites and tens of thousands of objects floating around the earth at any given point.

we have had experiment but only Noor-1 satellite is first operational satellite so, so far only one satellite

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom