What's new

Iran unveils indigenous combat drone armed with AtoA missiles

The applications could be quite a few. But the drone would pop up on the heli's radar I am sure. The drone would be given a general heading from ground radars and then the Manpad would need to be aligned to get a lock. Or so I assume.
You know what, helicopters typically do not have radar for detecting air targets....

Pulse Doppler KLJ-7 a decent RADAR?+ no IRSt +only 7 hardpoints in which 3 of the heavy ones will always be occupied with drop tanks ......I can go on & on but simply hear this that JF-17 is not even a 4th generation Jet...& on long terms you need something which is "at least" 4.5th generation. But all these things can only be seen if we role out the patriotic prejudice...!

Although this is not the appropriate thread for discussing JF17 but anyways are you objecting on KLJ-7 for being a Pulse Doppler or you are objecting on its range/resolution specs ?? If you are objecting on the Pulse Doppler technology then please keep in mind that the APG68V in F16-52 is also a pulse Doppler radar and is very potent, robust and powerful. KLJ-7 offers a very "Reasonable range/modes/resolution" solution to Pakistan Air force requirements for an enemy next door where JF17 will be backed up by AWACS and a very well integrated C4I network.

There is no fixed IRST onboard the Thunder for now but even now it has an option to carry an external dedicated IRST on a fixed weapons bay. 7 hard points are "Enough" to carry out a coordinated planned mission in all the advertised roles separately. Do not expect it to carry out multirole missions in a single sortie because it is not the goal of the project.

Also lets not discuss how much loads are carried in a real world mission where you expect a similar or more powerful adversary like PAF vs Indian AF. I am not talking about USAF vs Afghanistan or Iraq or Syria missions. Missions like e.g. USAF vs Russian AF or a modern airforce. Hint Missions in such a scenario will be specific with minimum loads necessary.

Ferry and combat range is also reasonable for Pakistani territory where our enemy is right next door. Plus the next block is already expected to have IFR and it will most likely be integrated on the block1 models also.

So keeping aside all the patriotic prejudice; yes its not F22/F35 or Rafale/EFT but its a decent multirole light weight fighter matching the needs of PAF perfectly at an unbelievably low cost.

For further discussion on JF17 please refer to the JF17 specific thread. thanks

Last edited:
You know what, helicopters typically do not have radar for detecting air targets....

Thats tough to swallow. I would have believed every new attack helicopter manufactured can detect aircraft to some capacity. Could you state which helicopters you are thinking of that have no air detection capabilities?

Thats tough to swallow. I would have believed every new attack helicopter manufactured can detect aircraft to some capacity. Could you state which helicopters you are thinking of that have no air detection capabilities?
All except dedicated AEW helicopters.

b781c37a85a88126fe13c3f1f83af6b6.jpg

59d78d3ebf3ac0ecb87ca8cdc4c68898.jpg

48db1360bc078980a1843bf32c81f62e.jpg

While e.g. AH-64D Apache has a AN/APG-78 Longbow fire control radar, that radar and its weapons counterpart, the radar-guided, "fire and forget" Longbow Hellfire missile, enable the potent Apache attack helicopter to detect, classify and prioritize ground targets day or night, in poor weather and obscured conditions; then attack those targets with pinpoint accuracy from ranges that safeguard the lives of the aircrew. Likewise Mi-28N/MMW Havoc with Ataka missiles. Some UH-60 are equipped with AN/APQ-174B terrain-following radar. Other helicopters have weather radars or radars for detecting targets at sea (maritime surveillance radar).

I think the only exception is Ka-52 Alligator, which has a radar system with two antennas— mast-mounted for aerial targets and nose-mounted for ground targets
10a1d0da1b6632e92551914f38134a76.jpg

ee91b46419b077d00698f4508e059d95.jpg

Last edited:
All except dedicated AEW helicopters.

Whhile e.g. AH-64D Apache has a AN/APG-78 Longbow fire control radar, that radar and its weapons counterpart, the radar-guided, "fire and forget" Longbow Hellfire missile, enable the potent Apache attack helicopter to detect, classify and prioritize ground targets day or night, in poor weather and obscured conditions; then attack those targets with pinpoint accuracy from ranges that safeguard the lives of the aircrew. Likewise Mi-28N/MMW Havoc with Ataka missiles
Mi-28A/N Havoc Attack Helicopter, Russia

The Mi-28A has small swept-back, mid-mounted stub-wings with four suspension units. Countermeasures pods are mounted on the wingtips. The helicopter can be armed with a mixture of air-to-air and air-to-ground missiles, unguided rockets, and podded guns.
d3765bce53792b85d082ffbfd25ec92b.jpg

1a218b2e0cb8fd05af43e99b952d6b8b.jpg

All indicators suggest that these helicopters have the ability to target and kill air units with specific loadouts.

Attachments

• 1a218b2e0cb8fd05af43e99b952d6b8b.jpg
    1a218b2e0cb8fd05af43e99b952d6b8b.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
One thing does not rule out another. They do carry AAM or MANPADS variants (e.g. Sidewinder, Starstreak, Stinger. TY-90, Ataka. 9M120O expanding rod warhead variant, Igla V, R-73, Mistral) but they do not typically have a radar to detect air targets: they use their optronic sights to cue the missile seekers of IRH missiles and other missiles are SACLOS (not homing but command guidance). To the extent attack helicopters carry radar at all, most have a radar for ground targets, with Ka-52 being an exception. I'm sorry but that's just the way it is.

Last edited:
Although this is not the appropriate thread for discussing JF17 but anyways are you objecting on KLJ-7 for being a Pulse Doppler or you are objecting on its range/resolution specs ?? If you are objecting on the Pulse Doppler technology then please keep in mind that the APG68V in F16-52 is also a pulse Doppler radar and is very potent, robust and powerful. KLJ-7 offers a very "Reasonable range/modes/resolution" solution to Pakistan Air force requirements for an enemy next door where JF17 will be backed up by AWACS and a very well integrated C4I network.
There is no fixed IRST onboard the Thunder for now but even now it has an option to carry an external dedicated IRST on a fixed weapons bay. 7 hard points are "Enough" to carry out a coordinated planned mission in all the advertised roles separately. Do not expect it to carry out multirole missions in a single sortie because it is not the goal of the project.
Also lets not discuss how much loads are carried in a real world mission where you expect a similar or more powerful adversary like PAF vs Indian AF. I am not talking about USAF vs Afghanistan or Iraq or Syria missions. Missions like e.g. USAF vs Russian AF or a modern airforce. Hint Missions in such a scenario will be specific with minimum loads necessary.
Ferry and combat range is also reasonable for Pakistani territory where our enemy is right next door. Plus the next block is already expected to have IFR and it will most likely be integrated on the block1 models also.
So keeping aside all the patriotic prejudice; yes its not F22/F35 or Rafale/EFT but its a decent multirole light weight fighter matching the needs of PAF perfectly at an unbelievably low cost.
For further discussion on JF17 please refer to the JF17 specific thread. thanks
Have studied these details along the cancelled ones... :)
Thanks anyway dear...but I will be more excited about the possible block-3, may will be more promising.

Have studied these details along the cancelled ones... :)
Thanks anyway dear...but I will be more excited about the possible block-3, may will be more promising.
What we need to realize is that what are the Targets/Goals of a project and then comment on whether they are met by the end product or not. Yes, I would also like JF17 to shoot down F22 400km away but that is obviously a day dream and not within the scope of the project. Block 2 or Block 3 should be better than block 1 but please note that targets for Block2/3 are now higher than what they were for Block1. You never shift the goal post when the design phase is complete and locked. This is called ABC of project management.This is (IMHO) what happened with LCA. In 20-30 years of its development they keep shifting the goal post .. what started as a light weight fighter project is now expected to compete against MMRCA specifications. The end result is that LCA so far; is a no show ..

Last edited:
“The drone is capable of destroying various flying aircraft including fighter jets, unmanned aerial vehicles and helicopters,” Hatami said.
The general must be high while saying this :alcoholic::alcoholic:

What we need to realize is that what are the Targets/Goals of a project and then comment on whether they are met by the end product or not. Yes, I would also like JF17 to shoot down F22 400km away but that is obviously a day dream and not within the scope of the project. Block 2 or Block 3 should be better than block 1 but please note that targets for Block2/3 are now higher than what they were for Block1. You never shift the goal post when the design phase is complete and locked. This is called ABC of project management.This is (IMHO) what happened with LCA. In 20-30 years of its development they keep shifting the goal post .. what started as a light weight fighter project is now expected to compete against MMRCA specifications. The end result is that LCA so far; is a no show ..
What I am trying to say is that lets not talk on it anymore...The ABC is that even up to block 2 it's not even compatible with current era, let alone the scenario of 6 years later when not just Europe but even India will have 5th generation Jets flying in it's air & we will still be dragging "3rd gen" Jets with us.
Good Bye for now.

Iranians indeed have remained isolated for a long time and have been able to keep their Air force air worthy (which is an achievement in itself) but now is the best chance (Russia vs West standoff) for them to induct something which can at least give them min credible deterrence against the Israelis. Su30 is the best option and they should go for it asap.

Even if Russia wants to sell the planes right now, Iran who is negotiating a settlement with the West can't buy. The West can pull out of the talks citing military buildup inside Iran. Same reason why we don't test ICBM.

Back
Top Bottom