What's new

Iran unveils indigenous combat drone armed with AtoA missiles

10ec0418b0724a85e1d6db1915fa7bc9.jpg

096fa66d0c0fed32ee2a8215e2627187.jpg

58e8a0867e99d6d3df7bf1345698ec87.jpg

cefe90e8a73daceeec39d93562cfb7ac.jpg

f570fa1128f1149c1eb563c77da72d60.jpg

Does it employ 'seeker slaving'? i.e. is the optronic head on the UAV used to point the missile seeker in the general direction of the target, so it can lock on?

The first Stinger Reprogrammable Micro Processor (RMP) missile was successfully fired by a Kiowa Warrior while acquiring the target through the seeker slaving mode at Yuma Proving Ground on 6 November 1997. This mode of acquiring the target dramatically simplifies the procedure and should decrease the acquisition/engagement time lines in most instances. Essentially, the system slews the Stinger missile's seeker to an off-axis position coincident with the Mast Mounted Sight's (MMS) line of sight (LOS). Considering the missile seeker's relatively small field of view, the capability to accurately direct the seeker onto a target being tracked by the MMS is a significant advantage. In practicality, the pilot no longer has to meticulously fly the missile to the target by aligning the center cross with the MMS LOS cue. He merely flies the aircraft to the "ballpark" of the MMS LOS and initiates first detent, allowing the seeker to slew to the target, uncage and begin tracking it. This capability will afford the greatest advantage while acquiring from a hover position in unstable wind conditions with the RMP missile. Seeker slaving is enabled by the Improved Master Controller Processor Unit (IMCPU) which is included with the digitized Kiowa Warriors. Non-digitized Kiowa Warriors may be equipped with seeker slaving by adding a card in the Integrated System Processor. Eventually, all Kiowa Warriors will gain seeker slaving as they are converted to the digital configuration.
FIM-92A Stinger Weapons System: RMP & Basic

Does it employ 'seeker slaving'? i.e. is the optronic head on the UAV used to point the missile seeker in the general direction of the target, so it can lock on?

FIM-92A Stinger Weapons System: RMP & Basic

Translations would have been nice on the video but what you are referring to is basically what has been done with this drone. Its a cheap alternative to take down other low speed, low altitude drones. Pointing that thing towards an aircraft or heli would be pushing it. Since the missile is already in the air its range could also be a bit more.

12eee28be0c08b4fdf31e813d5991bc3.jpg
18729506a086b641e11125aca00ad332-jpg.79612

What missile is this underneath the Karrar-4 drone: is it an AAM?

Translations would have been nice on the video but what you are referring to is basically what has been done with this drone. Its a cheap alternative to take down other low speed, low altitude drones. Pointing that thing towards an aircraft or heli would be pushing it. Since the missile is already in the air its range could also be a bit more.
Ok, seeker slaving is one hurdle taken. Another would be to get the drone in the right position so it can acquire a air target with the optronic payload. This means pluggin' the controller in with air defence network and radar.

Agree on the remarks about the use against aircraft and heli's. Though one could possibly use it with effect against helicopters entering or leaving a known landing zone inside the country, when they are most vulnerable.
24247a387145f5355889427456cc7505.jpg

Last edited:
View attachment 82133
18729506a086b641e11125aca00ad332-jpg.79612

What missile is this underneath the Karrar-4 drone: is it an AAM?

Ok, seeker slaving is one hurdle taken. Another would be to get the drone in the right position so it can acquire a air target with the optronic payload. This means pluggin' the controller in with air defence network and radar.

Agree on the remarks about the use against aircraft and heli's. Though one could possibly use it with effect against helicopters entering or leaving a known landing zone inside the country, when they are most vulnerable.
View attachment 82140

The applications could be quite a few. But the drone would pop up on the heli's radar I am sure. The drone would be given a general heading from ground radars and then the Manpad would need to be aligned to get a lock. Or so I assume.

The applications could be quite a few. But the drone would pop up on the heli's radar I am sure. The drone would be given a general heading from ground radars and then the Manpad would need to be aligned to get a lock. Or so I assume.
Do not forget that a small drone like this one has a very low RCS on radars. It will be almost invisible from the rear of the helicopter if it is posionned that way or from a lower altitude as in the video.

creativity gets a new meaning when it comes to Iranian defence achievements
the shoulder fired manpads on drones, WW2 V1 German drones/ rockets @500 come and hide with me.

Under sanctions anything is better than nothing . Congo bongo lads.

Integrating a manpad with a UAV in itself is an achievement, maybe little when compared to what others (US, Europe, Israel) have achieved but significant for a country that is almost completely isolated form the rest of the world for almost 30 years. Just imagined if Iran was not isolated like she is now, what she would have achieved in 30 years? And then look at us? Do we have a moral standing to belittle Iran's efforts? I don't think so.
Isolation is that made them what they are today, as the old people say "necessity is the mother of invention"...they are on the stage of reverse engineering & modernizing right now but as their "education system" that they cultivated 30 years ago has started to bring fruit, in next a decade or so we may see wonders from Iran. Pakistan was "meant" to have the only "gift" so precious of all, Nuclear Power(with missile technology)...but we also need to catch up in the rest of fields too & China is more than willing to help...only if we stop going for their low price "Export Only" products like JF-17 & MBT-2000(China never inducted them for it's own forces because of their unsatisfying performance), instead go for things like J-10b & Type-99 MBT...I hope you will have got the point brother.

Isolation is that made them what they are today, as the old people say "necessity is the mother of invention"...they are on the stage of reverse engineering & modernizing right now but as their "education system" that they cultivated 30 years ago has started to bring fruit, in next a decade or so we may see wonders from Iran. Pakistan was "meant" to have the only "gift" so precious of all, Nuclear Power(with missile technology)...but we also need to catch up in the rest of fields too & China is more than willing to help...only if we stop going for their low price "Export Only" products like JF-17 & MBT-2000(China never inducted them for it's own forces because of their unsatisfying performance), instead go for things like J-10b & Type-99 MBT...I hope you will have got the point brother.

Iranians indeed have remained isolated for a long time and have been able to keep their Air force air worthy (which is an achievement in itself) but now is the best chance (Russia vs West standoff) for them to induct something which can at least give them min credible deterrence against the Israelis. Su30 is the best option and they should go for it asap.

Regarding your comments about Pakistan; yes indeed we are lagging far behind in the science and technology domain. Our political leadership has failed the nation miserably time and again. There is no lack of skill or determination just the lack of Govt. support and funds. Regarding JF17 vs J10B. You need to look at the requirements and goals. The goal for JF17 is to offer a cost effective, modern and multi role light weight fighter which PAF can induct in numbers. I don't think there is any other fighter which full fill these requirements perfectly 100%.

Iranians indeed have remained isolated for a long time and have been able to keep their Air force air worthy (which is an achievement in itself) but now is the best chance (Russia vs West standoff) for them to induct something which can at least give them min credible deterrence against the Israelis. Su30 is the best option and they should go for it asap.
Regarding your comments about Pakistan; yes indeed we are lagging far behind in the science and technology domain. Our political leadership has failed the nation miserably time and again. There is no lack of skill or determination just the lack of Govt. support and funds. Regarding JF17 vs J10B. You need to look at the requirements and goals. The goal for JF17 is to offer a cost effective, modern and multi role light weight fighter which PAF can induct in numbers. I don't think there is any other fighter which full fill these requirements perfectly 100%.
Price factor is the main reason for choosing JF-17...& about modern :) DSI is the only thing "modern" onboard JF-17...!
& Iran indeed needs some fresh blood for which SU-35 is best instead of 30...but problem is that flyaway cost of SU-35 is 5 times greater than a JF-17,,, 70 to 80 million VS 20 million. & Iran has five "other countries" to manage unlike two of Pakistan & that needs huge spendings.So it seems like out of question unless Russia may make it "easier"...!

Price factor is the main reason for choosing JF-17...& about modern :) DSI is the only thing "modern" onboard JF-17...!
& Iran indeed needs some fresh blood for which SU-35 is best instead of 30...but problem is that flyaway cost of SU-35 is 5 times greater than a JF-17,,, 70 to 80 million VS 20 million. & Iran has five "other countries" to manage unlike two of Pakistan & that needs huge spendings. So it seems like out of question unless Russia may make it "easier"...!

What is not modern in JF17? decent radar and avionics, ECM, already able to fire a variety of weapons in the Air defense, Land attack, Anti Radiation and Anti shipping roles (and the list is still increasing), modern man machine interface, low operational costs and the best and most important factor of easy modern maintenance and fast turn around time. What else is left ??

I dont think JF17 will suit Iranian requirements well. You have a large area to defend and the most likely attack will not come from your neighbors but from Israel. Su35/Su30 which ever is available or affordable; will give you capability to do long range patrols and can offer better long range deterrence for any misadventure from Israel. . It would be ideal if you could go for a deal similar to India with local assembly and upgrade/overhaul option.

Pulse Doppler KLJ-7 a decent RADAR?+ no IRSt +only 7 hardpoints in which 3 of the heavy ones will always be occupied with drop tanks ......I can go on & on but simply hear this that JF-17 is not even a 4th generation Jet...& on long terms you need something which is "at least" 4.5th generation.
But all these things can only be seen if we role out the patriotic prejudice...!

I think its a very doable and brilliant idea. It can lay down a blue print for more advanced and reliable UAV platform to perform Point defense. Pakistani scientists should look into it and try to integrate ANZA-MKIII for such integration with UAV.
Great work Iran.

Back
Top Bottom