What's new

Iran to react if US prevents lifting arms embargo as per nuclear deal: President Rouhani

Although not an ICBM, do note that the warheads of missiles Sejill and Khoramshahr do travel at hypersonic speeds. The warhead of Sejill for example as been given at around mach 11/12. I agree Iran has not directly demonstrated an ICBM level RV, but I have no doubt it has this capability, And that RV can carry either nuclear or non nuclear systems. Obviously should Iran ever test an ICBM overtly then the west will use that to "prove" Iran must be after nukes, but that is a different discussion.
Yes, I have always said that Iran should not test an ICBM unless it has nukes. That's for sure.

Is that the maximum speed of Sejjil and Khorramshahr or their speed in reentry phase? Because traveling at such a speed in the absence of atmosphere seems to be less challenging.

Anyway, I will be nothing but glad if Iran has ICBM capability. It will make me proud.

Yes, I have always said that Iran should not test an ICBM unless it has nukes. That's for sure.

Is that the maximum speed of Sejjil and Khorramshahr or their speed in reentry phase? Because traveling at such a speed in the absence of atmosphere seems to be less challenging.

I do not think we have any information regarding how fast the systems travel inside the atmosphere. I seriously doubt they would be traveling at such speeds inside the atmosphere. But I am just guessing, I have no hard information to go by.

When I watch these videos, I'm reminded how intelligent he was, he really knew the layout of the world...but alas he miscalculated the power and depravity of the foreign actors that he was irking. Nevertheless, amazing answers to the lady interviewer....world class answers. My god,....how did we go from him to Ahmadinejad?

His one and only mistake was to make enemy of Euros and US. We are literally repeating exactly the same mistake.

His one and only mistake was to make enemy of Euros and US. We are literally repeating exactly the same mistake.
He was toppled by his own people, not by the Europeans or the US.
And are you seriously considering the power Europe had in 1970s with now? That's insane. Even the US is not as powerful as it was in 1970s.

On a side note, the UK used to be a major global power in 1940s. Fast forward to 1960s, it lost most of its global influence and power in a matter of 2 decades only. I think the same is happening to the US now. I can be wrong, but time will tell.

Yes but this time Iran is not dependent on the west
I'n what way were we dependent on the west back then, and in what way are we not anymore?

And are you seriously considering the power Europe had in 1970s with now? That's insane. Even the US is not as powerful as it was in 1970s.

Toppled by his own people yes, but are you saying US and Britain had nothing to do with it? I recommend you to read this book shorturl.at/DHY56

Militarily we have caught up to them, but politically, they have more power now than they did back then.

On a side note, the UK used to be a major global power in 1940s. Fast forward to 1960s, it lost most of its global influence and power in a matter of 2 decades only. I think the same is happening to the US now. I can be wrong, but time will tell.

Kesa keh feqt yek dushman dared hemah ja ba aw melaqat ma kened

I'n what way were we dependent on the west back then, and in what way are we not anymore?

Toppled by his own people yes, but are you saying US and Britain had nothing to do with it? I recommend you to read this book
Militarily we have caught up to them, but politically, they have more power now than they did back then.
They obviously helped the revolutionaries topple him. Not the US though. But the British and the Europeans did help the revolutionaries to undeniable extents. I don't think the US wanted to topple him.

The US has a history of siding with the winning side. They didn't want to topple the Shah, they agreed to stop supporting him only when they realized (after 18 months of unstoppable riots) that his time had come.

And you are focusing only on the good things about him. The Shah was a clown in many ways. He ridiculed foreigners for democracy, telling them that they were moving backwards to the time of cavemen. He embarrassed Farah in front of others, including journalists, several times. Most famously, in one of his interview with a foreign journalist he called women inferior and when asked about Farah, he said yes, she was inferior to him.

And that's not all. His motto was Khoda, Shah, Mihan (God, Shah, Motherland), putting his royal *** above Iran. The national anthem of Iran was nothing but praises for the Pahlavi dynasty. You got to be realistic. Go see the photos of the earthquake in Sistan just few years before the revolution to see the standard of living of people there. It was like Africa. Only 35% of Iranians were literate. 24% of women and 48% of men. See the gender gap? Now surprisingly, 25% of our nuclear scientists were women. Go figure how! Many of the tales of Iran being advanced under his reign are just beautiful tales and propaganda.

Kesa keh feqt yek dushman dared hemah ja ba aw melaqat ma kened
I didn't understand the "ba aw melaqat" part.
I could understand the rest of your sentence though.

They obviously helped the revolutionaries topple him. Not the US though. But the British and the Europeans did help the revolutionaries to undeniable extents. I don't think the US wanted to topple him.

The US has a history of siding with the winning side. They didn't want to topple the Shah, they agreed to stop supporting him only when they realized (after 18 months of riots) that his time had come.

And you are focusing only on the good things about him. The Shah was a clown in many ways. He ridiculed foreigners for democracy, telling them that they were moving backwards to the time of cavemen. He embarrassed Farah in front of other several times. Most famously, in one of his interview with a foreign journalist she called women inferior and when asked about Farah, he said yes, she was inferior to him.

And that's not all. His motto was Khoda, Shah, Mihan (God, Shah, Motherland). The national anthem of Iran was nothing but praises for the Pahlavi dynasty. You got to be realistic. Go see the photos of the earthquake in Sistan just few years before the revolution to see the standard of living of people there. It was like Africa. Only 35% of Iranians were literate. 24% of women and 48% of men. And surprisingly, 25% of our nuclear scientists were women. Now go figure. Many of the tales of Iran being advanced under his reign are just beautiful tales.

I didn't understand the "ba aw melaqat" part.
I could understand the rest of your sentence though.

He who has only one enemy meets him everywhere.

Working on my Farsi so hopefully it gets better haha

Last edited:
He who has only one enemy meets him everywhere.

Working on my Farsi so hopefully it gets better haha
Oh, I understand it now. You can always count on my help to improve your Persian, brother.

Kesi ke faghat yek doshman darad hame ja ba oo molaghat mikonad.

Oh, I understand it now. You can always count on my help to improve your Persian, brother.

Kesi ke faghat yek doshman darad hame ja ba oo molaghat mikonad.

I hope more people can correct my Farsi when I make a mistake haha. I'm learning it gradually and I figured if I started writing in it on Iranian section of PDF, it will get better over time.

I have heard there is a pretty big difference between formal and spoken Farsi just like Urdu but many people would know better than me on that

Last edited:

The US has a history of siding with the winning side. They didn't want to topple the Shah, they agreed to stop supporting him only when they realized (after 18 months of riots) that his time had come.

And you are focusing only on the good things about him. The Shah was a clown in many ways. He ridiculed foreigners for democracy, telling them that they were moving backwards to the time of cavemen. He embarrassed Farah in front of other several times. Most famously, in one of his interview with a foreign journalist she called women inferior and when asked about Farah, he said yes, she was inferior to him.

No doubt he had too much pride. I know what interview you talk about. The interviewer asks if he sees Farah/women fit to rule Iran. And he says no and then Farah laughs. But as for democracy, he insisted that democracy is impossible to have, but the way of democracy we had in Iran was more true to real democracy than the democracy in the western world. Because we don't lie in elections, we have a smaller gap between rich and poor etc.

And that's not all. His motto was Khoda, Shah, Mihan (God, Shah, Motherland). The national anthem of Iran was nothing but praises for the Pahlavi dynasty. You got to be realistic. Go see the photos of the earthquake in Sistan just few years before the revolution to see the standard of living of people there. It was like Africa. Only 35% of Iranians were literate. 24% of women and 48% of men. And surprisingly, 25% of our nuclear scientists were women. Now go figure. Many of the tales of Iran being advanced under his reign are just beautiful tales.

We were improving though, don't forget we were living in an extremely backward society. Saying that we had many undeveloped areas, and illiterate people is unfair. We had to start from -1000.

No doubt he had too much pride. I know what interview you talk about. The interviewer asks if he sees Farah/women fit to rule Iran. And he says no and then Farah laughs. But as for democracy, he insisted that democracy is impossible to have, but the way of democracy we had in Iran was more true to real democracy than the democracy in the western world. Because we don't lie in elections, we have a smaller gap between rich and poor etc.

We were improving though, don't forget we were living in an extremely backward society. Saying that we had many undeveloped areas, and illiterate people is unfair. We had to start from -1000.
Yeah, yeah. I know how people think it was Carter's failure to support the Shah that allowed the revolution to succeed, but what could he do? The Shah had completely lost his legitimacy. Anti-American sentiments had reached a peak already.

It was the stupidity of the Shah himself that he sent Khomeini to Iraq and then France. You can't blame Carter for that.

The guy didn't believe in democracy. He lived in a delusional world of his own where he was as powerful as Cyrus the Great. What do you mean Iran had a smaller gap between the rich and the poor? People in Tehran lived with the standards of the US while 70% of people lived in rural areas with less than minimum.

That's a myth. Iran has always been a progressive country, even during the Qajar dynasty. The Persian revolution happened in 1905. We became a constitutional monarchy before many European countries. We had feminist movements in Iran before the Pahlavi dynasty and before many European countries. The Qajar dynasty, as weak as they were, did invest a lot on cultural issues. As for the Shah, see Dariush Homayoon's interview where he says how the Shah helped Islamists grow in Iran because he thought Islamists would stand against the influence of communism on Iran.

Yeah, yeah. I know how people think it was Carter's failure to support the Shah that allowed the revolution to succeed, but what could he do? The Shah had completely lost his legitimacy. Anti-American sentiments had reached a peak already.

It was the stupidity of the Shah himself that he sent Khomeini to Iraq and then France. You can't blame Carter for that.

The guy didn't believe in democracy. He lived in a delusional world of his own where he was as powerful as Cyrus the Great. What do you mean Iran had a smaller gap between the rich and the poor? People in Tehran lived with the standards of the US while 70% of people lived in rural areas with less than minimum.

That's a myth. Iran has always been a progressive country, even during the Qajar dynasty. The Persian revolution happened in 1905. We became a constitutional monarchy before many European countries. We had feminist movements in Iran before the Pahlavi dynasty and before many European countries. The Qajar dynasty, as weak as they were, did invest a lot on cultural issues. As for the Shah, see Dariush Homayoon's interview where he says how the Shah helped Islamists grow in Iran because he thought Islamists would stand against the influence of communism on Iran.

Agree that Shah signed his own fate by exiling Khomeini

All the discontent and anger from rich-poor gap that built up inside Iran basically got channeled out by Khomeini who was now exiled and feared no consequences living outside of Iran.

I will say that I don't think anyone at that time could have guessed that it would be Khomeini who would become as powerful as he did. All that energy had to go somewhere, Khomeini was in the right place at the right time.

Just watch the video, it has nothing to do with Carters lack of support to Shah, it has more to do with Carters support to Khomeini, and his plan to topple the Shah.

I agree he had too much pride and became delusional. Iran had a smaller gap between the rich and poor. Students were paid pocket money. An uneducated employed man had enough wage to feed his entire family. The billionaire/millionaire to poor ratio was a lot less compared to US.

That's a myth. Iran has always been a progressive country, even during the Qajar dynasty. The Persian revolution happened in 1905. We became a constitutional monarchy before many European countries. We had feminist movements in Iran before the Pahlavi dynasty and before many European countries. The Qajar dynasty, as weak as they were, did invest a lot on cultural issues. As for the Shah, See Dariush Homayoon's interview where he says how the Shah helped Islamists grow in Iran because he thought Islamists would stand against the influence of communism on Iran.

I was not alive at that time, but I have seen videos and pictures of backward Iran was before Reza shah.

Read some about the white revolution:

The White Revolution consisted of 19 elements that were introduced over a period of 16 years, with the first 6 introduced on January 9, 1963,[9] and put to a national referendum on January 26, 1963.

1. Land Reforms Program and Abolishing "Feudalism": The government bought the land during the Iranian Land Reform from the feudal landlords at what was considered to be a fair price and sold it to the peasants at 30% below the market value, with the loan being payable over 25 years at very low interest rates. This made it possible for 1.5 million peasant families, who had once been little more than slaves, to own the lands that they had been cultivating all their lives. Given that the average size of a peasant family was 5, the land reforms program brought freedom to approximately 9 million people, or 40% of Iran's population.
  2. Nationalization of Forests and Pasturelands[10]: Many measures were introduced, not only to protect the national resources and stop the destruction of forests and pasturelands, but also to further develop and cultivate them. More than 9 million trees were planted in 26 regions, creating 70,000 acres (280 km²) of "green belts" around cities and on the borders of the major highways.
  3. Privatization of the Government Owned Enterprises[10], selling shares in manufacturing plants and factories to the public and the old feudal lords, thus creating a whole new class of factory owners who could now help to industrialize the country.
  4. Profit Sharing for industrial workers in private sector enterprises, giving the factory workers and employees 20% share of the net profits of the places where they worked and securing bonuses based on higher productivity or reductions in costs.
  5. Extending the Right to Vote to Women, who previously did not enjoy this right.[10] This measure was criticized by some of the clergy.
  6. Formation of the Literacy Corps, so that those who had a high school diploma and were required to serve their country as soldiers could do so by fighting illiteracy in the villages.[10] In 1963 approximately 2/3 of the population was illiterate, with 1/3 found mainly in the capital city of Tehran.
  7. Formation of the Health Corps to extend public health care throughout the villages and rural regions of Iran.[10] In 3 years, almost 4,500 medical groups were trained; nearly 10 million cases were treated by the Corps.
  8. Formation of the Reconstruction and Development Corps to teach the villagers the modern methods and techniques of farming and keeping livestock.[10] Agricultural production between 1964 and 1970 increased by 80% in tonnage and 67% in value.
  9. Formation of the Houses of Equity where 5 village elders would be elected by the villagers, for a period of 3 years, to act as arbitrators in order to help settle minor offences and disputes. By 1977 there were 10,358 Houses of Equity serving over 10 million people living in over 19,000 villages across the country.
  10. Nationalization of all Water Resources, introduction of projects and policies in order to conserve and benefit from Iran's limited water resources. Many dams were constructed and five more were under construction in 1978. It was as a result of these measures that the area of land under irrigation increased from 2 million acres (8,000 km²), in 1968, to 5.6 million in 1977.
  11. Urban and Rural Modernization and Reconstruction with the help of the Reconstruction and Development Corps. Building of public baths, schools and libraries; installing water pumps and power generators for running water and electricity.
  12. Didactic Reforms that improved the quality of education by diversifying the curriculum in order to adapt to the necessities of life in the modern world.
  13. Workers' Right to Own Shares in the Industrial Complexes where they worked by turning industrial units, with 5 years history and over, into public companies, where up to 99% of the shares in the state-owned enterprises and 49% of the shares of the private companies would be offered for sale to the workers of the establishment at first and then to the general public.
  14. Price Stabilization and campaign against unreasonable profiteering (1975). Owners of factories and large chain stores were heavily fined, with some being imprisoned and other's licenses being revoked. Sanctions were imposed on multi-national foreign companies and tons of merchandise stored for speculative purposes were confiscated and sold to consumers at fixed prices.
  15. Free and Compulsory Education and a daily free meal for all children from kindergarten to 14 years of age. Primary schools were built in hundreds of villages that previously did not have one.[10] In 1978, 25% of Iranians were enrolled in public schools alone. In that same year there were 185,000 students of both sexes studying in Iran's universities. In addition to the above there were over 100,000 students pursuing their studies abroad, of which 50,000 were enrolled in colleges and universities in the United States.
  16. Free Food for Needy Mothers and for all newborn babies up to the age of two.
  17. Introduction of Social Security and National Insurance for all Iranians. The National Insurance system provided for up to 100% of the wages during retirement.
  18. Stable and Reasonable Cost of Renting or Buying of Residential Properties (1977). Controls were placed on land prices and various forms of land speculation.
  19. Introduction of Measures to Fight against Corruption within the bureaucracy. The Imperial Inspection Commission was founded, consisting of representatives from administrative bodies and people of proven integrity.

Back
Top Bottom