What's new

Iran Tests Supercavitating Torpedo

Changing the path is not the hard part , the challenge is changing toward where ? As this sort of torpedo really mess with sonar .
It actually is. You see it covers itself in a layer of gas bobbles that reduces the friction between it and the water. Now if it turns to sharp and fall off that layer of gas bobble, then the water pressure at that speed will reduce it to scrap metal.

I agree that wayfinding is also another challenge. Maybe that's why its range is limited to 6 miles. This way the submarine should aim it at future location of the target like WWII torpedoes.

ALCON,

Per the link I posted previously:

"Generates a gas-cavity which gives it great speed but also prevents it from having any sort of homing guidance system. For this reason, a newer version was developed which runs out at high speed but then slows to search for a target. "

ALCON,

Per the link I posted previously:

"Generates a gas-cavity which gives it great speed but also prevents it from having any sort of homing guidance system. For this reason, a newer version was developed which runs out at high speed but then slows to search for a target. "
Why does the gas cavity prevent guidance at high speed?

shkval.png

hoot.png

Why does the gas cavity prevent guidance at high speed?
Heres a pic of the cavitator plus the gas generator vents
shkval-22337341.jpg

I would imagine part of the problem is simply the noise generated by both the gas generator and from the cavitator at speed,also these are right in front of the nose where you would usually place the sonar for active/passive guidance.

The problem is torpedoes use sonar to find target. And air is not a good vessel for sound . in medicine air is blind spot for sonography . that gas cavity is blind spot for the sonar.
Yes,I`d also wondered if that was the case,that the gas layer/bubble would have inhibited acoustics

AmirPatriot,

I admit I'm not expert when it comes to sonar/acoustics but I'll take a stab at it.

As several other members pointed out, since the front of the torpedo is not longer actually "in water", an acoustic-based seeker likely wouldn't function proper (likely having your ear just above the water and trying to hear a sound coming from the water, you may hear it but not as clearly/distinctly). This problem would apply to an active seeker (aka one that "pings" the target itself) and a passive-seeker.

Now, there is at least one other way to guide a torpedo these days: Wire-guidance.

Just as with wire-guided anti-tank missiles, this type of guidance is something of a double-edged sword. While they do provide excellent control of the weapon (and allow the submarine's fire control systems to do the work instead of having to design a compact onboard guidance kit), it also puts the launch vessel at risk of retaliation.

Think of torpedo guidance methods like this:
-Wire-guidance= Semi-active radar homing (SARH) A2A missiles
-Acoustic homing= "fire and forget" A2A missiles (whether radar guided or EO/IR guided)

With a torpedo like the VA-111/Hoot, the time to target and limited range could make wire-guidance somewhat more feasible, as its speed puts the launch vessel at risk of retaliatory attack for much less time, but also at a less safe distance from the enemy.

A "sprint, search, sprint" method using an acoustic-homing seeker suggested by Navweapons sounds like a feasible idea but would require modifications to allow the rocket motor to be capable of being throttled back (which given that it's a liquid-fuel rocket motor, shouldn't be that difficult to design).

But my question with this method would be this:

How well would an acoustic seeker work with the cavitator at the tip of the torpedo?

EDIT: Scratch that underlined bit, the VA-111 apparently uses a solid-fuel rocket motor, which are much more difficult to "throttle down". So I'm not how exactly that "sprint, search, sprint" method would actually work...

Last edited:
Iran’s & Russia’s Torpedoes are the world’s fastest (deadliest) and nothing like any country in the world including Americans does have. For the time Iran tested Hoot torpedoe in 2005.

I hope we have nuclear torpedoes so at the first day of war with Yankees in Persian gulf all of american fleet will be sinked.

Even if we don’t have nuclear torpedoes still we’ve upper hand.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoot_(torpedo)

4AC4F055-F72F-4410-B67F-C9332A775432.jpeg

MUST WATCH VIDEOS:

Iran’s & Russia’s Torpedoes are the world’s fastest (deadliest) and nothing like any country in the world including Americans does have. For the time Iran tested Hoot torpedoe in 2005.

I hope we have nuclear torpedoes so at the first day of war with Yankees in Persian gulf all of american fleet will be sinked.

Even if we don’t have nuclear torpedoes still we’ve upper hand.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoot_(torpedo)

View attachment 553416

MUST WATCH VIDEOS:

Please use those nuclear torpedoes at USA shore not in our waters and in a sea that it's water turnover is 50 years.
By the way I'm wondering are you ready for USA nuclear retaliation ?

Back
Top Bottom