What's new

Iran tensions to boost Gulf arms sales -Lockheed

Reaction score
(Reuters) - U.S. weapons maker Lockheed Martin expects more sales of anti-missile interception systems in the Gulf in a regional military buildup sparked by growing tensions with Iran, a company executive said on Wednesday.

Lockheed, fresh from a $3.6 billion deal to sell its Theater High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) system to the United Arab Emirates in December, is in talks with other Gulf states to promote the advanced systems, said Dennis Cavin, a Lockheed vice president for army and missile defence programmes.

"We are in discussions with the other (Gulf) nations through government-to-government relations," Cavin said on the sidelines of a conference in Abu Dhabi.

"All the GCC (Gulf Cooperation Council) countries have expressed an interest in the THAAD."

Gulf countries are spending billion of dollars on defence procurement amid increasing tensions with Iran over its nuclear programme. Iran has repeatedly denied charges by the United States and its allies that it is seeking to develop nuclear weapons and said it is for power generation.

Talks between Iran and world powers over the dispute are due to resume on April 14 in Istanbul, after collapsing more than a year ago.

Tehran has threatened to target Israel and U.S. bases in the Gulf if it is attacked and also to close the Strait of Hormuz, through which a third of the world's sea-borne oil traffic passes daily.

MORE DEALS

The UAE deal was the first foreign sale of THAAD, the only system designed to destroy short- and intermediate-range ballistic missiles both inside and outside the earth's atmosphere.

Cavin said Lockheed looked to leverage its experience with the UAE to offer the systems to other U.S. allies and partner countries in the region.

"I can't tell you who is the closest to making the next procurement, but I feel very optimistic that as long as the threat continues to evolve, there will be many opportunities to provide the capabilities," he said.

The UAE deal followed a $1.7 billion direct commercial contract to upgrade Saudi Arabia's Patriot missiles and a sale of 209 advanced Patriot missiles to Kuwait, valued at roughly $900 million.

Last year, the Obama administration also announced it had sealed a deal to sell $29.4 billion in advanced Boeing Co F-15 fighter jets to Saudi Arabia, the priciest single U.S. arms sale yet.

The ongoing build-up of Saudi Arabia as a counterweight to Iran is projected to total as much as $60 billion over 10 to 15 years, including the F-15s, three types of helicopters and advanced missiles, bombs and other hardware and services.

Cavin said there has been a "dramatic improvement" in relationships within the GCC and in countries' partnering with the U.S. government to build a fully integrated air missile defence architecture.

"We are not there yet ... but everybody acknowledges that it's something that needs to be done quickly," he said.
Iran tensions to boost Gulf arms sales -Lockheed | Reuters

Are in jeeza ke be shoma mifrooshan kheilie advance hast....
ina cheghad ahmagh hastan.
lol
saddam wasted half his country's wealth on crap from the West. In the first week of the Iran-Iraq war half his airforce was blown up on the ground. He bought more, and wasted more money. In thend tens of planes and pilots deserted to Iran. By 2000's, whatever hadn't rusted was destroyed by the US.

lol

These khlijis spend 10% of the GDP on arms. We weren't spending that much even during the war!!!! Imagine losing 1/10th of your nation's wealth each year on metal that's going to rust away in a matter of years. What a ******* waste!

military_expenditure.png

Donkey exhausted?
lmao at the translation
not exhausted bro

funny part is that GCC countries must spend 15-20 time more than Iran on military and have 4-5 time more of any sort weapon just for the illusion of having a status quo with Iran and they still claim and are proud that they have the best of all that's available.

funny part is that GCC countries must spend 15-20 time more than Iran on military and have 4-5 time more of any sort weapon just for the illusion of having a status quo with Iran and they still claim and are proud that they have the best of all that's available.

It is just to make sure that we can beat you a few times over which true is an over kill since only 2 Jets can probably bring the entire Iranian military to a complete halt.

What? feeling mad?:disagree:
Oh... poor boy, It's not our problem to have Thaad while you celebrate producing 23 mm cannons:
THAAD_FT09.jpg

You know Iran would diffidently win a war where home made equipment is in use. Granted that war should be named World War 2. :rofl:

America spends double of Iran's GDP on defense, so whats your point?. So, it's our duty to spend much on our defence to crunch arrogant heads.

America spends double of Iran's GDP on defense, so whats your point?. So, it's our duty to spend much on our defence to crunch arrogant heads.

I wonder what else they will domestically produce once they run of paint though :cheesy:

I heard in an alternate timeline ages ago West Bank was part of Jordan ,I wonder did you manage to take it back after spending so much on military ?
by the way I don't think USA spend those money to just reach an status Quo with Iran .

and also I recall a dictator who was a very close friend of your king that bankrupted his country just to do that duty you mentioned

It is just to make sure that we can beat you a few times over which true is an over kill since only 2 Jets can probably bring the entire Iranian military to a complete halt.

You know Iran would diffidently win a war where home made equipment is in use. Granted that war should be named World War 2. :rofl:

HAHAHA:rofl:
Do you still remember how Iranian regime lost it's mind when Russia canceled selling old S-300 to Iran?:rofl:

Oh plz Mosa don't underestimate their HOME-MADE equipment:
Mesbah1-air-defense-system-Iran1.jpg

Russian ZSU-23 mm put together...:drag:

well several people dreamed about defeating Iran in 3 day or reaching Tehran in one weak or one month , in recent years .
now let ask you were are they right now ?

Those downgraded THAAD's systems already don't have a good enough accuracy/probability of hitting target. Oh well, more $$CASH$$ in the American STASH!!!

Source plz...
Another thing, I heard Afghanistan has SZU-23, is that right?

For those people who are saying Iran home made weapons are not good, i have to ask them to compare stuff using their minds.
1. Iran is an almost isolated country, and its STILL MANAGES to make home made military equipment, missiles and etc.
2. Gulf countries has all the money, but no brains to make their own military equipment (at least like Iran)
3. Iran doesn't ally with Israeli puppets Aka USA. It's obvious Israel controls USA and the GCC.

Enough talking about Iran HOME MADE equipment. I ask the GCC people to make a better weapon and come talk then.

And Mosa, i thought you were grown up, but no you use the F word. ha?

Back
Top Bottom