What's new

Iran should just leave the NPT

soundwave

New Recruit

Reaction score
What do you think?

Currently Iran is observing the NPT to the letter but not exactly how the US would like it to. Iran is in the precarious situation where they're observing the NPT while at the same time being punished as if they weren't. Why not just leave the treaty since they (US and co) are not holding up their commitments? Namely assistance with nuclear energy, recognition of enrichment and other core parts of the NPT. US and co have shamelessly shunned these duties.

Iran could leave the NPT with 90 days notice. The aim would not be to permanently leave the treaty but to be used as a bargaining chip for negotiations. The US would much rather have a program it could watch (even though it may suspect), than one it has no monitoring of.

Obviously people will say this will give the US a reason to attack Iran. This would be true if they were looking for a reason to attack, but I don't think there's any reason to believe the US wants a war, especially this year. Finally Iran's options are very limited, what else can they do? Watch as it's economy slowly collapses (which is certainly heading that way) ? Iran's position can only get weaker. They need to do something new and radical. Or am i just crazy?

i think the position of Europe is going more weaker with soaring oil prices. Iranian nation had fought 8 year war with saddam who was supported by US. and Arab countries .I think they have enough tolerance to face the embargo.
US. is unable to make any adventure before clearing their mess in Afghanistan.

^have you got your head under a rock?

oil prices have steeply fallen. contrary to the popular myth, there is an abundance of oil, problem was just that suppliers were hoarding onto their oil as they expect prices to rise. just look at exxons and shells profits dwindle this quarter.

iran can't go on being virtually cut off from the financial world forever.

i would like to hear people's opinion what strategic decision iran should make in order to deter economic collapse/war and at the same time ensure their nuclear program.

Back
Top Bottom