What's new

Iran Sanctions and the Indian Chabahar Project!

Aslan

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Chabahar (Persian: چابهار, Chābahār), previously also Bandar Beheshti, is an Iranian city and a free port (Free Trade Zone) on the coast of the Gulf of Oman.
Chabahar is situated on the Makran Coast of the Sistan and Baluchestan province of Iran and is officially designated as a Free Trade and Industrial Zone by Iran's government. Due to its free trade zone status, the city has increased in significance in international trade. The overwhelming majority[citation needed] of the city's inhabitants are ethnic Baluchis speaking the Balochi language.

Chabahar Port a symbol of the new Iran-India strategic alliance

India is helping develop the Chabahar port, which will give it access to the oil and gas resources in Iran and the Central Asian states. This is done by India to compete with the Chinese, who are building Gwadar Port, in Pakistani Baluchistan.
Iran plans to use Chabahar for transhipment to Afghanistan and Central Asia, while keeping the port of Bandar Abbas as a major hub mainly for trade with Russia and Europe.
India, Iran and Afghanistan have signed an agreement to give Indian goods, heading for Central Asia and Afghanistan, preferential treatment and tariff reductions at Chabahar
Work on the Chabahar - Milak - Zaranj - Dilaram route from Iran to Afghanistan is in progress. Iran is with Indian aid upgrading the Chabahar-Milak road and constructing a bridge on the route to Zaranj. India's BRO is laying the 213-kilometer Zaranj-Dilaram road. It is a part of its USD 750 million aid package to Afghanistan by India.
The Chabahar port project is Iran's chance to end its US sponsored economic isolation and benefit form the resurgent Indian economy. Along with Bandar Abbas, Chabahar is the Iranian entrepot on the North - South corridor. A strategic partnership between India, Iran and Russia is intended to establish a multi-modal transport link connecting Mumbai with St. Petersburg, providing Europe and the former Soviet republics of Central Asia access to Asia and vice-versa.
India and Iran are discussing building a gas pipeline between the two countries along the bed of the Arabian Sea to bypass Pakistan, using the Chabahar port, both the countries are pondering over the delivery of natural gas produced in Turkmenistan with Indian assistance to north Iran while the Islamic Republic will send natural gas from its southern deposits to Indian consumers. This pipeline is conceived by India to replace the proposed Iran–Pakistan–India gas pipeline, the negotiations for which have dragged on due to the worsening of relations between India and Pakistan.[2]

Chabahar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The above article is from Wiki so please correct it if there is something wrong with the info.

Now many a times allot of our indian friends argue that the port is an answer to any issues that might from Pakistan while transporting the goods through land. Now as we all know that the US is already trying to push Pakistan away from the IP gas project. So my question is what implications will the new sanctions have on the indian project which is related to the port. And while there be or is there already pressure on the indians to distant them selves from the project.

true, its going to hit hard :)

as we all anticipated...... it was bound to happen :)

Dil ke armaan aanso'on main beh gaye :cry:

So my question is what implications will the new sanctions have on the indian project which is related to the port. And while there be or is there already pressure on the indians to distant them selves from the project.

You see, India is neither in NATO camp nor in Russia camp completely. India has ever enjoyed the benifits of being non-alligned and hence catering to the best interests of itself. So there wont be any trouble in this regard. USA would be aware of Indias investment and its policy vis a vis Afghanistan and its rebuilding. So I dont think US would have its eyes set on this. And even if it has, It doesnt bother us. As you can see, we are already into negotiations for Iran- India undersea gas pipeline. Plus We can go to any extent to counter China.

And even if it has, It doesnt bother us. As you can see, we are already into negotiations for Iran- India undersea gas pipeline. Plus We can go to any extent to counter China.

Lets see if the Americans will pass 2 sets of legislations one to Bar Pakistan from getting gas, and other to exempt indians from them.

india will not abandon the project in any case..after all it was meant to contain gwadar..n honestly speaking india wont take US pressure..they know well how to handle their case!

Lets see if the Americans will pass 2 sets of legislations one to Bar Pakistan from getting gas, and other to exempt indians from them.

dont want to be arrogant here mate.but IMO..they might.I am not saying they certainly will..but they might do it...chances are there.

india will not abandon the project in any case..after all it was meant to contain gwadar..n honestly speaking india wont take US pressure..they know well how to handle their case!

If they use land route, its too long.... may not be economical option for them espacially when oil prices goes up...... in my opinion, india may abondon the project :agree: They would make US happy for abondening the project if need arises

Not giving a verdict, just my opinion

If they use land route, its too long.... may not be economical option for them espacially when oil prices goes up...... in my opinion, india may abondon the project :agree: They would make US happy for abondening the project if need arises

Not giving a verdict, just my opinion

land route is not meant for the gas..its for the supply of Indian goods to Afghanistan, CIS countries and ultimately to Russia.. it's kind of an alternate route for the Indian goods and vise-versa

regarding US sanctions.. we have two different things here..
1. proposed India Iran under sea gas pipe line... this might attract UN sanctions..

2. The development of port and land connectivity to Afghanistan.. I dont think US would object to this one as it would heavily benefit Afghanistan which is good for it's stability and makes US job little bit easy ..and who knows US and NATO might also clandestinely ship their goods under Indian flag once this road is complete...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom