What's new

Iran released a 10 years old picture from a monster rocket engine!

Iran's space program by the most part takes advantage of rocket engines and 1st stage boosters initially developed by the MOD/IRGC and most of the engines Iran's Space Agency works on are by the most part long exhaust (compared to thrust) post boost engines for 2nd and 3rd stages.....

The fact that Iran lost it's best rocket scientist who was also an IRGC officer during that test is basically a testament on how wrong you are about the IRGC not caring about SLV's in fact in one of the last letters written by Tehrani Moghadam to Iran's supreme leader he basically informs Iran's supreme leader of achieving SLV capability and the fact is if he had lived the Qhaeem within 3 years would have been Iran's 1st Solid Fuel SLV.
Also, according to Hajizadeh the head of IRGC Aerospace forces, the very 1st missile project he proposed to Iran's supreme leader when he took command was of a large, long range, wide diameter missile who at that time was shut down by Iran's supreme leader so this idea that the IRGC doesn't care about SLV's is utter nonsense. Do you know how much money the IRGC could of made by just sending 1 commercial communication sat into GSO above our region alone? With the capability to reserve a few channels for it's self for military use.....

Now why did Iran's supreme leader back away from that program? If I was to guess, I would say at that time they likely predicted that they would need to come to a JCPOA type agreement with the west so they chose to stand down on any missile program that could be perceived as an ICBM program capable of hitting U.S. soil and if the U.S. & E.U. had truly stuck to the letter of the agreement all the people that argued for having foreigners send our sat's into space instead would of had a valid argument because due to Iran's economic conditions a domestic SLV program by it's self wouldn't of been worth demolishing our entire future economy over. However, that's if and only if the west had truly stuck to the agreement but they didn't and neither the U.S. nor the EU stuck to the agreement neither under Trump nor Obama.

As for Iran's space Agency being a den of spy's, that today is true however one of the main reason it has turned into a den of spy's is due to how the Rohani Administration restructured Iran's Space Agency into various small parts under the telecommunications ministry and that has clearly made security a nightmare.

All this is just speculation and borderline propaganda.

First of all, almost any rocket scientist will tell you that Solid fuel engines are NOT suitable for SLVs. As boosters sure, but not as the main stage engine, they simply a not efficient in that role.

Only reason IRGC wanted ghaeem was for latent solid fuel ICBM capability. It was disguised under SLV program, but if Iran truly cared to build a powerful SLV it would choose a liquid engine design not a dual use ICBM design.

All this is just speculation and borderline propaganda.

First of all, almost any rocket scientist will tell you that Solid fuel engines are NOT suitable for SLVs. As boosters sure, but not as the main stage engine, they simply a not efficient in that role.

Only reason IRGC wanted ghaeem was for latent solid fuel ICBM capability. It was disguised under SLV program, but if Iran truly cared to build a powerful SLV it would choose a liquid engine design not a dual use ICBM design.

If you could actually read Farsi you'd know it wasn't speculation!
https://www.tasnimnews.com/fa/news/...ه-مدار-1000کیلومتری-با-موشک-چهارمرحله-ای-قائم

As for liquid fuel being better than solid fuel the best SLV's in the world across various countries from U.S. to EU to China and India use both in their 1st stage (0-100km altitude.) Aris-1 was a single engines solid fuel 1st stage booster capable of putting over 20 tones in Low Earth orbit!

The reason liquid fuel seems more attractive for the 1st stage these day's is due to a very simple prediction about reusability! And that is that continued advancements made in processing, software, Batteries & electronics will make 1st stage liquid fuel boosters of the future all reusable and that very predictable prediction is the main reason liquid fuel engines have been more attractive for 1st stage boosters not only to space agencies but also to privet enterprise and companies like spaceX
Also compared to liquid fuel engines that can be fueled on the launch pad transportation of heavy solid fuel rockets is yet another problem.

And those are the real attractions of liquid fuel engines however that doesn't make 1st stage solid fuel booster any less capable because If the continued development of the Qaeem over the past 10 years had lead to a SLV with even half the capabilities of Ares-I it would have been more than sufficient for Iran's space program today
FYI Aris-I had the capability to put +56,000 lb in low earth orbit! So anyone thinking that Solid Fuel engines are not suitable for 1st stage boosters of SLV's is delusional!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ares_I

upload_2019-11-21_10-25-48.png

And until the day comes when Iran develops a closed circuit liquid fuel engine like the Raptor powered by cheaper propellent like liquid methane on a reusable rocket capable of landing it's self OR until we develop an aerospike engine for a reusable single stage to orbit vehicle, then a larger solid fuel option would have not only been a good option but also superior to any of the other options we have developed so far.

Solid rocket engine (most probably stage two) of Ghaem space launch vehicle :

View attachment 589345

I will do some analysis tomorrow ... It's enormous !

And it's where we were 10 years ago ...
Don't get offended but it does't look like solid engine it nozzle more looks like liquid fuel engine.

If you could actually read Farsi you'd know it wasn't speculation!
https://www.tasnimnews.com/fa/news/...ه-مدار-1000کیلومتری-با-موشک-چهارمرحله-ای-قائم

As for liquid fuel being better than solid fuel the best SLV's in the world across various countries from U.S. to EU to China and India use both in their 1st stage (0-100km altitude.) Aris-1 was a single engines solid fuel 1st stage booster capable of putting over 20 tones in Low Earth orbit!

The reason liquid fuel seems more attractive for the 1st stage these day's is due to a very simple prediction about reusability! And that is that continued advancements made in processing, software, Batteries & electronics will make 1st stage liquid fuel boosters of the future all reusable and that very predictable prediction is the main reason liquid fuel engines have been more attractive for 1st stage boosters not only to space agencies but also to privet enterprise and companies like spaceX
Also compared to liquid fuel engines that can be fueled on the launch pad transportation of heavy solid fuel rockets is yet another problem.

And those are the real attractions of liquid fuel engines however that doesn't make 1st stage solid fuel booster any less capable because If the continued development of the Qaeem over the past 10 years had lead to a SLV with even half the capabilities of Ares-I it would have been more than sufficient for Iran's space program today
FYI Aris-I had the capability to put +56,000 lb in low earth orbit! So anyone thinking that Solid Fuel engines are not suitable for 1st stage boosters of SLV's is delusional!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ares_I

View attachment 590787

And until the day comes when Iran develops a closed circuit liquid fuel engine like the Raptor powered by cheaper propellent like liquid methane on a reusable rocket capable of landing it's self OR until we develop an aerospike engine for a reusable single stage to orbit vehicle, then a larger solid fuel option would have not only been a good option but also superior to any of the other options we have developed so far.

Again more propaganda! Aris-I project was cancelled! That is your example? A cancelled project?

here are some FACTS

“No rocket discussion goes on for long without mentioning “specific impulse” or ISP. This measures the thrust generated by any given amount of fuel, and liquid engines have a higher specific impulse than solids, which explains a great deal of their attraction.”

“Liquid rocket engines far exceed the control of a solid. Liquid engines can throttle up or down as needed. These engines can even shut down, a useful safety feature. No so with solid rockets.”

“Refurbishing solid rocket motors takes lots of time between flights. But if you don’t want to make spaceflight as routine as airplane travel—as Elon Musk has said—then this pace is less of a problem.”

https://www.popularmechanics.com/sp...d-rocket-fuel-spacex-orbital-atk-blue-origin/

The future is re-usable liquid engines with solid fuel boosters attached if needed.

you have no idea what the final status of Ghaeem project was or what the work led to. You do not know what they are doing at Shahrud military base.

You are merely spreading propaganda without facts. Your opinion or conjecture does not make something true!

Again more propaganda! Aris-I project was cancelled! That is your example? A cancelled project?

here are some FACTS

“No rocket discussion goes on for long without mentioning “specific impulse” or ISP. This measures the thrust generated by any given amount of fuel, and liquid engines have a higher specific impulse than solids, which explains a great deal of their attraction.”

“Liquid rocket engines far exceed the control of a solid. Liquid engines can throttle up or down as needed. These engines can even shut down, a useful safety feature. No so with solid rockets.”

“Refurbishing solid rocket motors takes lots of time between flights. But if you don’t want to make spaceflight as routine as airplane travel—as Elon Musk has said—then this pace is less of a problem.”

https://www.popularmechanics.com/sp...d-rocket-fuel-spacex-orbital-atk-blue-origin/

The future is re-usable liquid engines with solid fuel boosters attached if needed.

you have no idea what the final status of Ghaeem project was or what the work led to. You do not know what they are doing at Shahrud military base.

You are merely spreading propaganda without facts. Your opinion or conjecture does not make something true!

So now you think you know more than NASA rocket scientist who worked on the Ares-1! LOL! And Chinese Rocket Scientist who worked on

As for the current status of Ghaeem & it's mission parameter so far I haven't claimed anything beyond information already made public by the Iranian government!

Again I'll repeat my self THE MAIN attraction of liquid fuel rocket engines over solid fuel in 1st stage boosters of SLV's is the potential of reusability! It doesn't make it the only attraction and the few % points you gain on fuel consumption with throttle control on multi stage liquid fuel SLV's mostly shows it's value on reusability in carrying enough fuel to land because in general on multi stage SLV designs whether liquid fuel or solid fuel, your 1st stage booster is mainly built to achieve no more than ~120km altitude so it's not like your throttle control will allow you to use the fuel for achieving greater altitudes and or speeds because it won't because you still need Vacuum engines as your main post initial boost engines for achieving orbital velocity in the vacuum of space (Which is basically impossible to do with standard rocket engines due to their design NOT type or amount of fuel that is unless you have a new type of engine design like an advanced aerospike engine.)

Also, the reason NASA cancelled the Ares-I for space travel had nothing to do with capability, rather the fact that the potential of reusability of liquid fuel 1st stage boosters had peaked the interest of privet corporations to invest in and compete for contracts for low orbit space flights and for privet companies liquid fuel is more attractive due to various reason and the 1st of which is reusability, they are also far easier and cheaper to handle and transport, further R&D will allow you to use cheaper fuel, liquid fuel allows for the potential in the development in engine designs for reusable single stage vehicle, liquid fuel allows for far greater freedom in rocket design,...... HOWEVER none of that changes the fact that if Iran had developed the Qhaeem, today it would be the MOST advanced and the most capable SLV developed by Iran to date with the capability to use them as boosters of a much larger multi engine 1st stage boosters..... In short, in terms of 1st stage boosters, the Qhaeem tech would have directly given Iran the capability to send probes to the moon....

older thread but one thing that's disturbing me and hope is not true... is any connection to Tehrani moghadams death and a slowdown in Iranian missiles...

this also fits into the Soleimani situation.. you cannot rely on a single person to run such large and important organizations.. we need to build of institutional capabilities where as soon as 1 person dies someone can instantly take his place...

this is how the US and virtually any succesfull nation state operates.... I really hope if it wasnt the case beforehand, the Tehrani moghaddam/Soleimani situation made the IRanian government understand this.

and I really hope there is a contingency in place for the day after khamnei passes... its only a matter of time

I hope they dont claim they can reach united states.... They don't have the bomb yet. Make bomb first delivery methods later

Back
Top Bottom