What's new

Iran broadcaster allows musical instruments to be played on TV

TruthSeeker

PDF THINK TANK: ANALYST
Reaction score
Country
United States
Iran broadcaster breaks rule over musical instruments played on TV

Programme airs musicians playing instruments fuelling hopes of ban being lifted but broadcaster says it was mistake

by Saeed Kamali Dehghan, theguardian.com, Wednesday 22 January 2014 12.25 EST
Iran-music-009.jpg

A screenshot of Iran's reformist Shargh daily showing an Iranian band performing and playing instruments on national television. Photograph: theguardian.com
To any western viewer, it would have been the most normal thing in the world: a TV programme showing a group of musicians performing and playing live in the studio.

But viewers in Iran found themselves rubbing their eyes in disbelief when the morning programme broadcast the musicians playing traditional Persian instruments because for many it was simply the first time they were seeing such musical instruments on national television.

Although the Islamic republic of Iran Broadcasting (IRIB) tolerates non-western music – albeit to an extent – and singers are regular guests there, musical instruments have been banned on state TV for more than three decades.

But on Saturday, Avaye Parsian (Persian voice), led by musician Saman Alipour, were filmed in the studio of the Good Morning Iran show for IRIB's Channel 1 playing santoor, a trapezoid-shaped Persian dulcimer played by wooden hammers, tar (Iranian lute) and kamancheh, a bowed string instrument.

On previous occasions when bands have been invited to perform on state television, only the singer would be allowed to go in front of cameras – musicians would play backstage or the screen would cut to flowers and beautiful landscapes. A recent ceremony broadcast live on the IRIB was cut when a musician began to play piano.

Astonished viewers quickly took pictures of their television screens with their cellphones when they saw Alipour's band, who had been invited to perform in celebration of Prophet Muhammed's birthday the next day. "Am I dreaming or what?" tweeted one Iranian, posting an image he took from his screen. On Monday, the reformist Shargh daily published the image, which by then had circulated all over the internet among Iranian users, on its front page.

"Musical instruments on Channel 1," read the headline along with a screenshot of the state TV programme with the timeframe showing 8:44:44. "The [state] TV's green light [to musical instruments] took viewers by surprise," said Shargh's front page.

"The programme invited us to go to their studio for a live performance and as usual we went there with our instruments but we didn't expect the instruments to be shown," Alipour told Shargh. "When the time came for our section of the programme, they asked us to be seated in front of cameras."

Iranian users on Facebook and Twitter welcomed the ground-breaking incident and shared images they captured of the performance.

Saturday's incident strengthened hopes among many that it would mean a long-standing ban was about to expire as president Hassan Rouhani opens up to the world and relaxes social restrictions at home. But the welcome it received seems to have backfired with the programme's producers saying it was a mistake.

"We invited the band but because of a mistake on our part, for 10 seconds people could see the instruments. It was our mistake and it doesn't show any change in the IRIB's internal policy," Good Morning Iran's producer, Gholamreza Bakhtiari, told the semi-official Fars news agency.

Iran does not allow private TV and radio channels in the country but tens of Iranian channels run by exiles are available via illegal satellite dishes on rooftops, including the BBC's Persian services. Many Iranians find the IRIB's restrictive policy ridiculous because Persian culture is entwined with poetry and music. Students are allowed to enter music courses at universities and millions take private classes to learn music as a hobby.

Despite this, Iran's supreme leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, who has the final say on all state matters, is sceptical of music and advises against practising or teaching it in the country. "Although music is halal, promoting and teaching it is not compatible with the highest values of the sacred regime of the Islamic Republic," he said in response to a request for a religious ruling in 2010. His ruling, however, is not fully enforced.

Iranian artists, including the grand-maestro Mohammad Reza Shajarian and composer Hossein Alizadeh have been outspoken in their criticism of the IRIB's restrictive policies. And earlier this week, a group of young musicians from a band called Pallett made their own stand against the ban. When they were invited to perform on the IRIB, they decided to mime playing the musical instruments.

Iran broadcaster breaks rule over musical instruments played on TV | World news | theguardian.com

Wow, I never knew it had not been allowed. o_O Weird. I'm guessing a group called, "Avaye Parsian" is something less than the dreaded, "backward imported foreign culture" feared by the Iranian poster above. :-)

Music is not allowed in Islam. Maybe the Mullahs made a compromise, by banning instruments?

Can someone with knowledge on this topic for Gods sake please tell me, does it say anywhere in the Quran that music is not allowed?!?!

WTF

Can someone with knowledge on this topic for Gods sake please tell me, does it say anywhere in the Quran that music is not allowed?!?!

WTF

A lot of religious Muslims do not listen to music, unless it is religious music. I guess there is differing opinion over wether it is allowed or not. You can google music haram to get an idea of the differing viewpoints.

In any case music is allowed in Iran. It is sold in shops and there are concerts as well. This is just a law applying to tv.

Wow, I never knew it had not been allowed. o_O Weird. I'm guessing a group called, "Avaye Parsian" is something less than the dreaded, "backward imported foreign culture" feared by the Iranian poster above. :-)

Just to clarify something, I do perceive Islam as a "backward imported foreign culture", NOT them playing music.

WTF

There are several Sunnah Hadith that forbid playing Music and even singing if its not to praise Allah.
Camel urine is also beneficial to cure diseases, hell I don't even know why we need Western Medicine?

Last edited:
Persian music influenced the music across the region, bit surprising to see people curbing it.

Persian music influenced the music across the region, bit surprising to see people curbing it.

Yep, this is what happens when you show the middle-finger to your own culture and worship an alien culture that is outdated even for its time.

I sincerely hope that Indians can combat the increased influence of Islamic extremism in their country, I don't want to see one of the most ancient, fruitful civilizations that world has ever seen succumb to foreign culture like Iran did. I think Chinese so far have been most successful.

Just to clarify something, I do perceive Islam as a "backward imported foreign culture", NOT them playing music.

There are several Sunnah Hadith that forbid playing Music and even singing if its not to praise Allah.
Camel urine is also beneficial to cure diseases, hell I don't even know why we need Western Medicine?

Camel urine ?? Elaborate a bit about that.

Back
Top Bottom