What's new

Iqbaliat

1453563_567119400009542_1854953796_n.jpg

Guys i'm having trouble making sense of this sher can anyone help me out ???

12.GIF

I think its translation would be,

"Ghani ! The darkness of the day which Canaan's old man ( referring to Prophet Jacob's blindness I think) used to witness."

"That the Light of his eye's may return by Zulekha's sight."

Now i understand that his eyesight returned when his sons put Prophet Yusuf's shirt on his face which Prophet Yusaf had sent.

So what has Zulekha got to do with the return of prophet Jacob's eyesight ???

@Aeronaut @Azlan Haider @Zarvan @Armstrong @rmi5 @Serpentine

Any help would be much appreciated !!!

Last edited:
Guys i'm having trouble making sense of this sher can anyone help me out ???

12.GIF

I think its translation would be,

"Ghani ! The darkness of the day which Canaan's old man ( referring to Prophet Jacob's blindness I think) used to witness."

"That the Light of his eye's may return by Zulekha's sight."

Now i understand that his eyesight returned when his sons put Prophet Yusuf's shirt on his face which Prophet Yusaf had sent.

So what has Zulekha got to do with the return of prophet Jacob's eyesight ???

@Aeronaut @Azlan Haider @Zarvan @Armstrong @rmi5 @Serpentine

Any help would be much appreciated !!!
Ghani > Rich
Rouz e Siyaah >> The dark day, but in this poem it means the tragedy
Pir e Kan'aan >> Jacob
Nour e Dide >> It literally means the eyesight but its connotation refers to the Joseph at the same time as well, so Nour e Dide=Joseph

Ghani > Rich
Rouz e Siyaah >> The dark day, but in this poem it means the tragedy
Pir e Kan'aan >> Jacob
Nour e Dide >> It literally means the eyesight but its connotation refers to the Joseph at the same time as well, so Nour e Dide=Joseph
That much i understand but can you answer the last question ???

@rmi5

btw i translated it myself !!! pretty good huh ??? :D

@rmi5

Now i understand thanks alot brother :D

That much i understand but can you answer the last question ???

It means that see the tragedy of Jacob that the presence of his beloved person(Joseph) is giving light to the eye of Zuleikha. (While, he, Jacob, does not have light(ability to see) in his eyes)

It means that see the tragedy of Jacob that the presence of his beloved person(Joseph) is giving light to the eye of Zuleikha. (While, he, Jacob, does not have light(ability to see) in his eyes)
It means that Joseph is zulekha's Noor-e Chasham !!! :D

Got it :P

@rmi5

btw i translated it myself !!! pretty good huh ??? :D

@rmi5

Now i understand thanks alot brother :D

Yes, your effort was really good. But, you need to consider that words in poems have connotations as well. Anyway, average farsi speakers cannot understand these connotations as well. So, for you, who your native language is not farsi, it was really good ;)

It means that Joseph is zulekha's Noor-e Chasham !!! :D

Got it :P
kinda Yes. ;)

Yes, your effort was really good. But, you need to consider that words in poems have connotations as well. Anyway, average farsi speakers cannot understand these connotations as well. So, for you, who your native language is not farsi, it was really good ;)

Yes
Again, Thanks alot brother :D

kinda Yes. ;)
I guess that's because the essence is lost in the translation ???

Last edited:
Again, Thanks alot brother :D

I guess that's because the essence is lost in the translation ???

Actually, in Farsi, Nour-e Chashm, which its connotation is beloved person, is mostly referred to ones child. So, in this case, Joseph is Nou-e Chashm of Jacob ;) But, his beauty and presence has also been like a light which has attracted and opened eyes of Zulaikha on him, instead of giving sight to his father's eyes, Jacob's blind eyes. ;) So, the poet is regretting it and call it a tragedy for Jacob.

Actually, in Farsi, Nour-e Chashm, which its connotation is beloved person, is mostly referred to ones child. So, in this case, Joseph is Nou-e Chashm of Jacob ;) But, his beauty and presence has also been like a light which has attracted and opened eyes of Zulaikha on him, instead of giving sight to his father's eyes, Jacob's blind eyes. ;) So, the poet is regretting it and call it a tragedy for Jacob.
If we go by your explanation, it would make more sense literally but not historically.

Btw what is the meaning of ush and kund ???

Back
Top Bottom