What's new

iPhone 13 is helping Apple destroy Android in the premium smartphone market

Hamartia Antidote

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
United States

Iphone 13 Review Hero Resized

Iphone 13 Review Hero Resized (Image credit: Joseph Keller / iMore)

What you need to know​

• New research indicates Apple continues to dominate the premium smartphone sector.
  • Counterpoint says that it holds a 62% share of phones that cost more than $400.
  • It dwarfed its nearest rival Samsung.

New research from Counterpoint reveals that Apple is absolutely destroying Android when it comes to its share of the global premium smartphone market.

New research published Thursday indicates Apple has upped its Q1 share in the premium market ($400 or more) from 57% last year to a whopping 62% this year. The premium market did shrink year on year, but less so than the overall smartphone market, the eighth consecutive quarter where premium won this battle.

The report says that Apple's best iPhone, the iPhone 13, has been the number one model globally every month from October 2021, giving Apple its highest Q1 share of the premium segment in five years.

Meanwhile, Android rival Samsung is struggling, seeing its share decline from 18% to 16% year on year because of delays to the S22 series.

According to Counterpoint's figures, the top premium smartphones by sales share to open the year were the iPhone 13 (23%), iPhone 13 Pro Max (13%), iPhone 13 Pro (9%), and then the iPhone 12. Samsung's Galaxy S22 Ultra is the first Android device on the list taking a meager 3%. That means Apple's latest flagship iPhone captured 45% of the market despite the fact that its iPhone 14 is just a few months away.

While Apple isn't reportedly planning a big design overhaul for the iPhone 14 this year, we can expect improvements in the form of a new 48MP camera, a hole-punch notch, an always-on display, a new processor (for the Pro models), and more if reports are to be believed.

I like using my iphones, no bloatwares and no unnecessary garbage apps come with it
(Although i also don’t like stupid widgets or covid apps by default)

I’ve tried few android phones in Pakistan like Qmobiles, Infinix, Techno etc but they’re mostly heavy on bloatware/ads, games and unnecessary tiktok apps etc installed by default…..shitty quality where after a year the phones start messing with settings by themselves…..or random shit starts to stop working, etc……and most of them all brands…….big size.
Hardly any android smartphones in small sizes (think of size such as iphone se or 5s for small phones)…..not everyone wants big huge phones which can’t fit in pockets.

Iphones give u more control.

Anyway, use it as a phone…..mainly for calls or texts. I use my phones at least 5 yrs.
my SE from 2016 still going strong….i got a 12mini gonna use it for many yrs hopefully. Like the small size….

Iphones still too expensive in pak, but in other countries its still great…..govt should’ve tried to setup something with apple here too as its a big consumer market in asia😛

I like using my iphones, no bloatwares and no unnecessary garbage apps come with it
(Although i also don’t like stupid widgets or covid apps by default)

I’ve tried few android phones in Pakistan like Qmobiles, Infinix, Techno etc but they’re mostly heavy on bloatware/ads, games and unnecessary tiktok apps etc installed by default…..shitty quality where after a year the phones start messing with settings by themselves…..or random shit starts to stop working, etc……and most of them all brands…….big size.
Hardly any android smartphones in small sizes (think of size such as iphone se or 5s for small phones)…..not everyone wants big huge phones which can’t fit in pockets.

Iphones give u more control.

Anyway, use it as a phone…..mainly for calls or texts. I use my phones at least 5 yrs.
my SE from 2016 still going strong….i got a 12mini gonna use it for many yrs hopefully. Like the small size….

Iphones still too expensive in pak, but in other countries its still great…..govt should’ve tried to setup something with apple here too as its a big consumer market in asia😛

Well Apple is criticized for being pricey..but one of its main selling points is getting a product which is almost bulletproof. They just keep working year after year with minimal user intervention.

Have trouble connecting to wifi…nope it just works. Need to go into the file system to fix a file..nope it just works.

Main thing I don't like in iphone is you can't charge it in switched off mode..... If your battery is finished and you keep for charging then after few minutes it starts automatically..... But in Android you can charge it in complete switch off mode and enjoy phone free life at least till the charging is over.....

Main thing I don't like in iphone is you can't charge it in switched off mode..... If your battery is finished and you keep for charging then after few minutes it starts automatically..... But in Android you can charge it in complete switch off mode and enjoy phone free life at least till the charging is over.....
Put it on silent mode then. If you turn off with battery it should remain off even while charging.

I love OnePlus phone I find it's touch better than iphone, iphone is too blend no colours camera just ok compared to Chinese phones apps are paid so Chinese quality phones are better than iphone , only iphone processor is real fast

I love OnePlus phone I find it's touch better than iphone, iphone is too blend no colours camera just ok compared to Chinese phones apps are paid so Chinese quality phones are better than iphone , only iphone processor is real fast
Not sure about oneplus, but there is no way a chinese phone is better than iphone……specially if you’re talking about any of thosr in Pakistan…….thosr r shitty.

Ofcourse it depends on the person too if they like android or not….iphones r more expensive too so affordability is in equation

Newer iphones are better than old models and faster

iphone sales have dropped worldwide. basically a dying trend.

also, post taiwan situation, it will drop even further as China might halt or slowdown production

I use iphone X , bit older but still in good working condition. Planning to buy iphone 14 when it is launched. if the loan agreed by the Bank. Need to remortgage the house to buy it. :-):-):-):-)

that’s not true at all

Apple's era is over. People don't like walled garden ecosystem. If I were a trader, I'd short Apple stocks.

iphone sales have dropped worldwide. basically a dying trend.

also, post taiwan situation, it will drop even further as China might halt or slowdown production

What are you talking about. They sold 242 million iPhones last year. A company record.

With a chip shortage even if it fell all the way to 200Million that would still be above 2019 and 2020.

Last edited:
What are you talking about. They sold 242 million iPhones last year. A company record.
And increased their market share in the most profitable section (premium) of the smartphone market. The brand loyalty this demonstrates contradicts the assertion that 'Apple era is over, People don't like walled garden ecosystem'.

I just can't tolerate iPhone 13, tried to sell it on phone shop, couldn't, the salesman said,
-you have to provide purchase receipts from Apple store,
-as well as Your Apple ID,
-than note saying you are transfer of ownership to new buyer, wtf!!!!

I can sell my Corvette faster than this piece of sh!t iphone. Also there is no resale value or very little due to these restrictions.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom