What's new

Install Windows 10 for Free !!!

First sensible person on this forum . I use mint what do you use?

I use mint cinamon 64x . Lets put it this way , I went to a village in faisalabad dist to vist relatives, a cousin had his laptop plagued with viruses , was in the process of re installing it . I restarted the lappy with usb running mint and he was hooked. Everything that he was using just worked. To cut it short my cousin got a copy from me and installed it on more than 10 peoples machines , saying its a new windows. Till date they are happy using it and no blue screen of death and no viruses. So if some people from a village are happy using it

But is it true that Mint cannot update itself to newer versions and a clean install is needed for every version, unlike Ubuntu?

How much space it takes on disk? I am thinking about a dual boot for trying.

I am thinking about permanently shifting to Linux. Btw how is Mint, it shows most downloads in distrowatch.
Mint is nice for window deserters but if you ask me zorin(heavily tweaked ubuntu) is the best distro for starters

Mint is more lighter and faster than ubuntu.. also mint is some what like windows... i mean some ideas on UI is adopted from windows, while ubuntu is from OSX...
Actually mint is also a ubuntu variant and zorin with its look changer is a better replacement for windows

But is it true that Mint cannot update itself to newer versions and a clean install is needed for every version, unlike Ubuntu?

How much space it takes on disk? I am thinking about a dual boot for trying.
Friendly suggestion first create a live bootable disc or usb and just mess around with it before actually installing it on your pc

I upgraded fro mint 17.1 to 17.2 no hastle
Have you tried zorin?

Y
Yes tried it but not my cup of tea. I like ubuntu, fedora and smplicity
Then you should try zorin lite its the lxde version of zorin its kind of like lubuntu but with more pre-installed goodies

Have you installed it ? What is your personal opinion ?

Since OP hasn't replied yet, let me share my experience. It is almost the same as 8.1, except extra junk. MS has tried to converge their PC and mobile in to one OS. Windows 10 comes with a lot of privacy issues e.g. apps can track your user ID, location, browsing history etc. But you can disable these things.

Start button is back. New notifications button has been introduced. That's about it. I upgraded yesterday during office hours; about 2.7GB download and about 1 hour to finish the upgrade. It has slowed down my system a bit (i7 2.6GHz, 64 bit, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon graphics card etc). So personally, I would not recommend it for now.

@kamrananvaar @ArsalanKhan21 @Shamain @WAJsal @Rain Man checkout ma funky lookin desktop screen
EwQK348.png

mere dell mai to inbuilt Lynux (ubuntu) tha sadly mere bhai ne pirated windows 7 dala. i actually liked Lynux :(
What i posted is actually a fire effect on compiz tool and my distro is zorin 6 which is a heavily tweaked ubuntu 12.04

I also use lubuntu,puppy linux,ubuntu unity,fedora and android x86 but lubuntu is my main distro

What i posted is actually a fire effect on compiz tool and my distro is zorin 6 which is a heavily tweaked ubuntu 12.04

I also use lubuntu,puppy linux,ubuntu unity,fedora and android x86 but lubuntu is my main distro
You code?

You code?
Nah i just like playing around with my system you learn new things that way and besides my parents forced me into physics whats the point of learning c++ or java if i dont a have a degree to back it up

no thanks, I'll wait for the world to review it for a few months before thinking about it.

Yeah good idea, cos Windows 10 uses mandatory updates on their automatic update service unlike previous generations where you can tick/untick which update to install. This has already caused problems on many people using high definition multi-monitor setup with nVidia video card a few days ago, as the stupid O/S tries to be smart and get the latest unstable video card driver from nVidia...

Win10 Home version users has no control whatsoever, Pro version has a bit more control to delay updates for a few months, but that's it, will still get shoved down the throat by the end of few months. Only Enterprise licensed win10 can delay updates indefinitely until they are throughly tested. Unless you know how to disable windows update service from startup, which defeat the purpose of updating.

Basically for the home average users, they have to install whatever Teenytinysoft Corporation is throwing at them.

Back
Top Bottom