What's new

Inspired by Anna Hazare, Pakistani to fast against corruption

Do you really believe this 1% figure??,,,if this is indeed true, really astonishing that with 1% tax, we can do this much.
Although the figure is wrong.

Pakistan has among the lowest tax-GDP ratios in the world. Evidently, Pakistanis do not like to pay taxes.

If the Pakistanis didn't take a cue from the Arab "Revolution", they certainly won't take it from someone who's inspired by Anna Hazare.

It was noteworthy what you guys achieved with your lawyers movement. It was by and large a peaceful movement and politicians had to cave in to your demands. I am hoping that our politicians get into their Grey matter that people are fed up with their shenanigans and will not tolerate until tough decisions are made. This people's movement is going to become bigger and uglier. every person I have talked to, I felt a seething anger inside them. They know either it is going to be now or never.

Pakistani activist plans hunger strike against corruption

ISLAMABAD: A Pakistani political activist plans a fast against corruption and high military spending, mirroring a move in neighbouring India where efforts to stop popular anti-graft activist Anna Hazare from a hunger strike this week sparked national protests.

The protest by Jhangir Akhtar, an Islamabad businessman who has fasted before to draw attention to bad governance, is not slated to begin until after the Muslim fasting month of Ramazan ends.

He says the campaign is for “Pakistan to bring a bill in the parliament against corruption … and to cut the budget of the army of Pakistan.”

But Akhtar says although he supports Hazare’s protest, the Gandhian-style campaigner is not his inspiration.

“I announced my hunger strike before Anna Hazare, but due to Ramazan I postponed it, because our custom in Pakistan is that I cannot take water during Ramazan.”

Akhtar plans to start his strike on Sept. 12.

Pakistan’s army, which ran the country for nearly half of the post-independence period, has come under criticism for eating up to a quarter of each year’s budget, while education and health care spending account for less than 2 percent of spending.

Akhtar says he hopes he will draw enough attention to the issue that an anti-corruption bill will be introduced in Pakistan’s National Assembly, and that funds will be directed away from Pakistan’s military budget and towards tackling issues that effect the population, like the nation’s beleaguered power sector.

“Pakistan is a developing country, and in our country the two most important problems are corruption and the high percentage of expenditure that goes on our army budget.”

Pakistan is also regularly listed as one of the world’s most corrupt countries, with Transparency International raking it as the 34th most corrupt in 2010.

“In Pakistan the situation is worse now,” Akhtar said. “The economic crisis is here, terrorism is here, there is political instability. There are a lot of problems that reflect on our society. I am trying to show – and say – the Pakistan common man has power.”
Pakistani activist plans hunger strike against corruption | Pakistan | DAWN.COM

Everytime

My voted candidate was elected only once. He used to have public meetings (Janata Darbar) where we could ask him progress of his work. He is still the MLA of Sakoli town in Bhandara district, Maharashtra.

I appreciate your argument. Its a common practice in many Indian families to vote to a single candidate (due to the influence) but a thinking person who knows his rights and powers as a citizen of India would surely be think about the byground of thoes personals.
A person who does not belong to a party, how come he may become MLA several times?? My father is a Congress Party member. He tries to influence me (Even Prafulbhai Patel Civel aviation minister have came to my house several times). But I do take care of my vote by my wisdom.
As I said I would appreciate your argument since in most of the cases, what you posted earlier becomes the reality.

regards

I never found a MLA or an MP who has honestly served my constituency.

What if none of the candidates are honest? Unfortunately, this happens in India in almost all the constituencies in every election.

We send different person to Assemble or Parlimant every time thinking he will honestly serve our constituency. But, once they got elected, either they are willingfully or forced by the surrounding atmosphere started involving in corruption.

They are getting emboldened when they find there is no system to proper system to stop him or ask questions about the corrupt activities which he involved. This is like they are given a licence to cinvolve in such activities and noone will stop him, and there are lot of other corrupted people who are ready to save him from any action.

The purpose of Anna's agitation is to create a system which will force even a currupted person to think 100 times before getting involved in a corrupt action.

As much as I would love that in my country, I am afraid anyone doing that would be beaten, tortured and undergo all sorts of shenanigans.

Again, that wouldn't solve the problem, when 77% of Indians think the judicial system in India is corrupt:

77 per cent believe Indian judiciary is corrupt: survey - Hindustan Times

When criminal charges in individual cases take so long to resolve in Indian courts, the government corruption charges will take a lot longer as they're more complex. The people don't trust the judiciary.

The problem is much more deep & rooted into India than what many people think. It's not as simple as the government is corrupt, & no one else is.

Yes my friend, agreed. But, we cannot keep just crying that all are corrupt and sit idle for ever. At some point of time, we should take some action to get rid of those evils, and somebody has initiate that good thing. If this become a success, this is going to give us a good change. Even if we cannot eradicate corruption by 100%, what is wrong if we can get rid of atleast 50% of the corruption though this? Some one has started that good thing and why shouldn't we follow him if we found out that it is good for all of us?

In my PERSONAL opinion we dont need any stupid mass movement at this hour in Pakistan. nobody hails corruption but anna way is no way to fight it.

I dont know what makes you think he is wrong, but I personally think it could have been handled in a better manner. But this can be a good start and somewhere you needed to start. the start of a seed of fear in dhoti-shiverers mind to know that good governance is the call today..

Forget if this bill gets drafted or not but one good thing it has done I will say "Public stir"

I dont know how voting will help Pakistan to get their country free of corruption..voting just changes the ruler/ruling partywhile all the politicians remain same.

changing the system is the only way out when your politicians are used to eating public money....now, how you bring about the change is matter of choice of the people of the respective country...in India, its there is an attempt to bring the change through Anna's way...in places like syria it was the civil war like agitation...how pakistanis would bring the change...depends entirely on them..in my personal opinion..voting another leader to the chair is just a waste.

In my PERSONAL opinion we dont need any stupid mass movement at this hour in Pakistan. nobody hails corruption but anna way is no way to fight it.

Any considered and wise suggestion how to do it and not the way Anna is doing it?

How else do you expect it to be done? He proved it by implementing the RTI the same way. Being a soldier himself he might have seen something which inspired him to go on this mission by the weapon of peace.

Jhangir Akhtar has taken a very bold and good step but what i think is pakistani soceity ready for such mass protests? I personaly feel though his intentions are right time isn't.If he waits some more time then probably people might take up this cause and demand a change.pakistan is handling other problems which need to be fixed first and god willing when these are in order then people will focus towards this.

When Anna firstime started his fast for lokpal bill, Jana was asking Indian members whether there is any site to show her support.(you can still find that in old thread)...Now a complete pulti in stand. janaji ..aap politician hai kya?

There is a dire need of drastic change in south Asian politics. I'm glad pakistan is also starting to voice out corruption. :tup:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom