What's new

Infosys, TCS & Wipro go to US campuses to hire local US talent

StingRoy

Reaction score
Infosys, TCS & Wipro go to US campuses to hire local US talent

BANGALORE: After years of hiring experienced professionals to serve top customers in the US, Indian tech firms are now seeking to hire fresh engineering graduates from American universities, as stricter immigration norms and high unemployment rate make local hiring attractive in the country.

In a year when India’s top outsourcing firms are under pressure to position themselves as more global companies not necessarily responsible for America’s ‘jobless economic recovery’, experts and company officials say a war for local US talent is set to become a priority.

Apart from stricter and costlier visa permits in the US, outsourcing customers such as GE are also asking Indian vendors to play a role in addressing high unemployment rates.

India-based tech firms including Wipro, Tata Consultancy Services , Infosys and Cognizant are now battling it out to hire hundreds of fresh engineering graduates from campuses of Pennsylvania State University , Rutgers, University of Massachusetts , University of Connecticut , North Carolina State University and University of Michigan , among many others.

Companies such as Infosys, which counts JP Morgan among its top customers, say they have started hiring from US campuses.

“We have a target of hiring 250 local employees every quarter in the US for the next four quarters,” said S Gopalakrishnan,

CEO of Infosys. “As we develop our consulting and systems integration services, we need to hire more at all levels in the United States. Brand recall for companies like ours is improving every year, we are slowly getting there,” he said.

US talent pool much smaller

“There is no big cost difference because we have to pay American salaries even to our Indian employees going there,” he added.

However, unlike India, which produces nearly 600,000 engineering graduates every year, the US pool is much smaller, ensuring a much more intense fight for whatever talent is available.

“Though IT is a popular choice, compared to Indian colleges, the pool of students looking out for a career in IT is smaller and all tech firms are tapping into this pool; so definitely, the war for talent is there,” said Priti Rajora , global head, talent acquisition, Wipro Technologies .

On their part, India’s top outsourcing companies TCS, Infosys, Wipro and HCL have already started setting up development centres in locations such as Atlanta and Michigan. While TCS aims to double its foreign workforce from 10,000 currently to 20,000 over the next five years, Infosys and Wipro could see non-Indians account for 10-15% of their total employee base in next 3-5 years, from around 5% currently.

... Read more at the link below.
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/news-by-industry/jobs/infosys-tcs-wipro-go-to-us-campuses-to-hire-local-us-talent/articleshow/7518791.cms?curpg=2

It's a publicity stunt. For every American hired, they will send 1000 jobs back to India.

It's a publicity stunt. For every American hired, they will send 1000 jobs back to India.

Of course they have to ... if you notice the article even mentions the reason behind it.
However, unlike India, which produces nearly 600,000 engineering graduates every year, the US pool is much smaller

If the American companies are themselves outsourcing their jobs back to India why not Indian companies. At the end of the day it has to be a win-win for both the countries.

Of course, there is a good chance this is just a gimmick.But then we are not exactly running charities, eh. It is pure business.

I protest...First fill Indian quota, then go to US...:)

They will hire two kinds of people in US
1) Good looking american men and women :P
2) Not so good looking Indians/Koreans studying in US

infosys are a nightmare to work with, in the places i have worked no one has a nice word to say about them, and in my dealings they are less than competent.

^^^ Then you guys can very well apply to TCS -- the best s/w firm you can work with.

Infosys is one of the largest IT companies in India with 122,468 employees (including subsidiaries) as of 2010. It has offices in 33 countries and development centres in India, China, Australia, UK, Canada and Japan

In the year 2000, President of the United States Bill Clinton complimented India on its achievements in high technology areas citing the example of Infosys.[11] Infosys will invest $100 million (Rs 440 crore) on establishing a 20,000-seater campus in Shanghai.[12]

In 2001, it was rated Best Employer in India by Business Today.[13] Infosys was rated best employer to work for in 2000, 2001, and 2002 by Hewitt Associates. In 2007, Infosys received over 1.3 million applications and hired fewer than 3% of applicants.[14]

ignore him...just a jealous pakistanis

lol, what makes you think i am jealous?

i have first hand experience and the benefit of other peoples as well, i would prefer it if they were good, would make my life easier!!!

i can tell you for sure that people are upset with how people in infosys are not the easiest to communicate with, how they need to constant clarification and how they do not stick to deadlines....

that being said they do work hard, and its mostly white people i work with, and i stick up for them a bit, but when you do a bad job.............

Back
Top Bottom