What's new

Inflation drops to over 3-year low of 4.7% in May

omkar

Reaction score
Wholesale inflation dropped for a fourth straight month in May to a more than three-year low of 4.70% from 4.89% in April on cheaper manufactured and fuel products, showed the data released by the industry ministry on Friday.

Still, analysts reckon the central bank will likely refrain from trimming the benchmark lending rate in its next policy review meeting on June 17 despite the calls to stimulate growth, thanks to a weakening rupee.

The estimate for March was also revised down to 5.65% from 5.96% announced earlier, showed the data. Wholesale inflation last month, however, was also sharply lower than the 9.31% rise in consumer inflation for May.

Inflation in manufactured items, which have a 65% weightage in the inflation basket, slowed to a 41-month low of 3.11% in May, compared with 3.41% a month before. Fuel products saw a 7.32% inflation last month, compared with 8.84% in April.

However, after the fourth straight month of decline through April, wholesale food inflation--which has also been a major driver of retail inflation due to a high weightage in the consumer price inflation index--picked up to 8.25% in May from 6.08% a month before as prices of onion and cereals surged.

Sharp price rise in food items has been blamed in recent months for the elevated reading in retail inflation, as such products have a higher weightage in the consumer price inflation index than the wholesale price index.

Inflation drops to 4.7 pc in May

(PTI) The WPI-based inflation fell to 4.7 per cent in May, driven mainly by declining prices of manufactured items, even as prices of food articles inched up.

Inflation based on the Wholesale Price Index (WPI) stood at 4.89 per cent in April. In May, 2012, it was 7.55 per cent.

As per official data released today, WPI inflation in the manufactured items category declined to 3.11 per cent in May from 3.41 per cent in April.

The non-food articles category, which include fibre, oil seeds and minerals, saw sharp decline in inflation to 4.88 per cent, from 7.59 per cent in April.

However, inflation in food articles category, which has a 14.34 per cent share in the WPI basket, rose to 8.25 per cent in May. Inflation in this category was at 6.08 per cent in April.

The rise in food inflation was on account of increase in prices of onions, vegetables, cereals and protein-based items.

Inflation in vegetables stood at 4.85 per cent in May, against (-)9.05 per cent in the previous month.

The rate of price rise in onion was high at 97.40 per cent for the month, as against inflation rate of 91.69 per cent in April.

Inflation for March was revised downwards to 5.65 per cent from 5.96 per cent as per provisional estimates.

The inflation data would be closely watched by the Reserve Bank while formulating its mid-quarter policy which is scheduled on Monday.

There have been demands for a lower interest rate in the backdrop of declining inflation.

Finance Ministry sources, commenting on inflation numbers, said they would want lower interest rates and monetary policy transmission.

While the Reserve Bank has lowered interest rates by 1.30 per cent since January 2012, the banks have cut lending rates by only 0.30 per cent.

The data released today showed inflation in egg, meat and fish stood at 11.21 per cent during the month as compared to 10.44 per cent in April.

Inflation in wheat, however, eased to 12.65 per cent in May, as against 13.89 per cent in the previous month. Potatoes too saw decline to (-)3.44 per cent, from (-)2.42 per cent in April.

Pulses prices declined sharply to 5.95 per cent during the month.

Read more at

http://www.indianexpress.com/news/inflation-drops-to-over-3year-low-of-4.7--in-may/1129030/2

http://www.indianexpress.com/news/i...3year-low-of-4.7--in-may/1129030/?SocialMedia

accha ??? Pichle 7 saalon se jo inflation ne watt lagaya hai aam aadmi logon ka ?

People can dig history and see for themselves that each time congress came to power there was a renewed movement of inflation going upwards !!

SHraap hai congress India pe :angry:

But chicken price is close to Rs130/kg.. So is price of the vegitables.. I dont see where the inflation is dropped :cuckoo:

Wholesale inflation dropped for a fourth straight month in May to a more than three-year low of 4.70% from 4.89% in April on cheaper manufactured and fuel products, showed the data released by the industry ministry on Friday.

Still, analysts reckon the central bank will likely refrain from trimming the benchmark lending rate in its next policy review meeting on June 17 despite the calls to stimulate growth, thanks to a weakening rupee.

The estimate for March was also revised down to 5.65% from 5.96% announced earlier, showed the data. Wholesale inflation last month, however, was also sharply lower than the 9.31% rise in consumer inflation for May.

Inflation in manufactured items, which have a 65% weightage in the inflation basket, slowed to a 41-month low of 3.11% in May, compared with 3.41% a month before. Fuel products saw a 7.32% inflation last month, compared with 8.84% in April.

However, after the fourth straight month of decline through April, wholesale food inflation--which has also been a major driver of retail inflation due to a high weightage in the consumer price inflation index--picked up to 8.25% in May from 6.08% a month before as prices of onion and cereals surged.

Sharp price rise in food items has been blamed in recent months for the elevated reading in retail inflation, as such products have a higher weightage in the consumer price inflation index than the wholesale price index.

Inflation drops to 4.7 pc in May

(PTI) The WPI-based inflation fell to 4.7 per cent in May, driven mainly by declining prices of manufactured items, even as prices of food articles inched up.

Inflation based on the Wholesale Price Index (WPI) stood at 4.89 per cent in April. In May, 2012, it was 7.55 per cent.

As per official data released today, WPI inflation in the manufactured items category declined to 3.11 per cent in May from 3.41 per cent in April.

The non-food articles category, which include fibre, oil seeds and minerals, saw sharp decline in inflation to 4.88 per cent, from 7.59 per cent in April.

However, inflation in food articles category, which has a 14.34 per cent share in the WPI basket, rose to 8.25 per cent in May. Inflation in this category was at 6.08 per cent in April.

The rise in food inflation was on account of increase in prices of onions, vegetables, cereals and protein-based items.

Inflation in vegetables stood at 4.85 per cent in May, against (-)9.05 per cent in the previous month.

The rate of price rise in onion was high at 97.40 per cent for the month, as against inflation rate of 91.69 per cent in April.

Inflation for March was revised downwards to 5.65 per cent from 5.96 per cent as per provisional estimates.

The inflation data would be closely watched by the Reserve Bank while formulating its mid-quarter policy which is scheduled on Monday.

There have been demands for a lower interest rate in the backdrop of declining inflation.

Finance Ministry sources, commenting on inflation numbers, said they would want lower interest rates and monetary policy transmission.

While the Reserve Bank has lowered interest rates by 1.30 per cent since January 2012, the banks have cut lending rates by only 0.30 per cent.

The data released today showed inflation in egg, meat and fish stood at 11.21 per cent during the month as compared to 10.44 per cent in April.

Inflation in wheat, however, eased to 12.65 per cent in May, as against 13.89 per cent in the previous month. Potatoes too saw decline to (-)3.44 per cent, from (-)2.42 per cent in April.

Pulses prices declined sharply to 5.95 per cent during the month.

Read more at

Inflation in India drops to over 3-year low of 4.7% in May - Indian Express

Inflation in India drops to over 3-year low of 4.7% in May - Indian Express

Ain't reflecting anywhere????:what: :undecided:

Atlast some good news for Indian economy .... :cheers:

So in the end....it's all about CHICKEN.

Offcource dear!! I am all foodie... :partay: .. Seriously, look at the prices of vegetables and all other stationaries..I do not see any price dip..

Offcource dear!! I am all foodie... :partay: .. Seriously, look at the prices of vegetables and all other stationaries..I do not see any price dip..

Yes that's why we should elect MODI :partay:

Even the POPE loves him......

Thank You my Dearest Friend :D

Yes that's why we should elect MODI :partay:

Even the POPE loves him......

Thank You my Dearest Friend :D

Already I am being branded as a traitor because of my religion :ashamed:.. Dunno what other names they will call me if I oppose Modi ;).. I am going to support the third front.. Nithish Kumar for PM :thinktank:

Already I am being branded as a traitor because of my religion :ashamed:.. Dunno what other names they will call me if I oppose Modi ;).. I am going to support the third front.. Nithish Kumar for PM :thinktank:

No Buddy, You are an Agent of Vatican.....& Vatican wants Modi for PM :)

No Buddy, You are an Agent of Vatican.....& Vatican wants Modi for PM :)

Unfortunately, I have no alligence with Pope.. We do not recognise the power of Vatican.. My signature is just to **** of the "Pure Bloods" in this forum :kiss3:

You serious ..... 3rd front ......:disagree:

Unfortunately, I have no alligence with Pope.. We do not recognise the power of Vatican.. My signature is just to **** of the "Pure Bloods" in this forum :kiss3:

So are you looking for 'minority appeasement' from the 'pure Bloods' in this forum ? :azn:

prices are rising day by day but I don't understand how inflation drops. :what::blink:

Rs. is now 59 to the $. Soon we will not be able to afford jack $hit. If people cant buy, it makes inflation drop. That is congress style inflation control :P

Back
Top Bottom