Indonesia to sign $15bn deals with India

Bang Galore

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
Indonesia to sign $15bn deals with India

By Anthony Deutsch in Jakarta

Indonesia will sign 17 deals worth more than $15bn this week during a visit to India by Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono, Indonesia’s president, along with a dozen of his key ministers. The deals will be a significant boost to ties between Asia’s two largest democracies.

The agreements, to be formalised on Tuesday, are part of an ambitious push by Indonesia, a member of the group of 20 and south-east Asia’s largest economy, to attract $150bn in infrastructure investment.

Among the projects to be implemented over the next three years are multibillion-dollar investments by Indian energy companies Reliance Group, Archean, Adani and Tata, according to a list given to the Financial Times by the Indonesian Investment Co-ordinating Board.

One memorandum of understanding will be with Indian infrastructure developer GVK, the company building Mumbai’s new airport, which will construct airport terminals on Indonesia’s resort island of Bali and in Yogyakarta, a city in central Java.

Adani, the energy group, will build a 270km railway and a coal terminal in southern Sumatra with the provincial government in a deal worth $1.6bn. Other deals include the building of coal-fired power plants, railways and shipyards.

Indonesia urgently needs infrastructure investment to meet growing demand for services and goods both at home and abroad.

For decades the country has been a leading source of coal, metal and minerals for richer neighbours but, as an emerging regional power governing 240m people, Jakarta hopes profits from Indonesia’s abundant resources can deepen development.

“It’s not the old paradigm of extracting, it’s the new paradigm of digging, but also creating value, in Indonesia,” Gita Wirjawan, head of the Indonesian Investment Co-ordinating Board, said on Sunday. “This will be a big bang. I am very excited about the fact that the Indians are keen on coming to Indonesia.”

Indonesia is also negotiating similar deals with companies from South Korea, China and Japan that are willing to invest billions in infrastructure to secure supplies of coal, oil and gas.

Mr Yudhoyono will oversee the signing of dozens of other bilateral agreements and will discuss expanding trade in India and the 10 countries of Asean, the south-east Asian regional grouping. Bilateral trade between India and Indonesia is worth $11.8bn per year, while Indonesia is India’s second-largest Asean trading partner, importing large quantities of wood pulp, palm oil and minerals. India invested $26.2m in Indonesia in 2009.

FT.com / Asia-Pacific - Indonesia to sign $15bn deals with India

Indonesian President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono is the Chief guest at this years Republic Day celebrations.

these two countries have lot in common, i think future looks bright for both.

India and indonasia partnership is one of the best step forward for both.

India, Indonesia sign deals worth over $15 billion

25 January 2011
susilo_bambang_and_sonia_gandhi_domain-b.jpg

India and Indonesia today signed business deals worth $15.1 billion, even as the two Asian countries set an ambitious target of doubling bilateral trade over the next five years.

Visiting Indonesian President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono said bilateral trade volume that tripled to $12 billion from $4 billion in 2005, is expected to double to $25 billion by 2015.
The two countries signed 18 agreements covering energy, infrastructure, manufacturing, services and other sectors in the presence the Indonesian President.

Yudhoyono is in Delhi as the chief guest at India's Republic Day celebrations due tomorrow, as India looks increasingly East to boost its relations with Asian neighbours.

"I hope this visit will create new opportunities in our bilateral cooperation, including economic cooperation and people-to-people contact," Yudhoyono told Indonesian and Indian business leaders in New Delhi.

"We are growing stronger as economic partners," Yudhoyono said, adding, "There is so much we can do together."
Yudhoyono is accompanied by a delegation comprising a dozen senior ministers, business leaders and officials.

Besides, India and Indonesia signed agreements on fighting terrorism, money-laundering and other crimes.

These are part of the market opening operations intended to reduce tariffs on goods and services and boost bilateral trade.

A number of Indian companies, including the Tata Group and infrastructure major GVK Industries, signed agreements with their Indonesian customers.

GKV, which is building Mumbai's new airport, has also signed an agreement to build international airports on Indonesia's resort island of Bali and in Yogyakarta, a city in central Java

Its always good to add the troll post along with the happy news, about to come soon here, you bharatis are without brains. First develop your infrastructure then invest in other countries.

My 1000 post i think this is, well here it goes.

Its always good to add the troll post along with the happy news, about to come soon here, you bharatis are without brains. First develop your infrastructure then invest in other countries.

Congrats on your 1000th post. Keep up the good work. So how much RAW is paying you? They are not paying me much.;)

you forgot toilets....and poor indians. Just pointing out what you missed. :cheers:

India and Indonesia have many things in common the most important being culture - Remember Garuda, their national airlines.

And Indonesians, we ruled over you once :devil: ....

Congrats on your 1000th post. Keep up the good work. So how much RAW is paying you? They are not paying me much.;)

Well i am actually trying to send an application to the RAW head to increase my paltry pay u know :D

you forgot toilets....and poor indians. Just pointing out what you missed. :cheers:

Yeah i know that man they are so obvious aren't they :lol:

Back
Top Bottom