What's new

Indonesia to buy 8 Apache attack helicopters

not suit for Indonesia, Apache is used for attacking big mumber of Tanks, Indonesia is a island coutry

What's up with people calling this a useless purchase??

If there is a single purchase that wasn't useless recently it is the Apache gunship. The Apache gunship not only takes out tanks and infantry but boats as well.

The Apache is by far the best Attack Helicopter in the world right now with the Mi-24 coming as a distant second (Employed and Proven). Load the 8 Apaches against an approaching fast attack boats and it will be able to take out from 70-140 Boats in a single sortie (Counting the 8 together). Or maybe use the unparalleled thermal sights to take out a large number of militants hiding in the forest thickness.

The AH-64 Apaches are NEVER EVER useless. EVER.

ah64.jpg

What's up with people calling this a useless purchase?

People are calling it a useless purchase on the basis of unwanted need, this effectively is a political purchase. With number of Islands Indonesia have, They need Web of SAM Systems and Types of Radars. For Air Superiority Aircraft although in their plan the intend to procure 3 Squadrons of Flankers but it remains a plan for now. A purchase of Flanker is more power punch then an apache or MBT it covers vast airspace and looks out for any air intruders, the need of apache will only arise when the fight goes to inland Indonesia, on the contrary Air Superiority and SAM Systems Batteries will deny Air Space. Apaches MBTs would render useless if SEAD-DEAD take place frequently with nothing to bring them down.

If there is a single purchase that wasn't useless recently it is the Apache gunship. The Apache gunship not only takes out tanks and infantry but boats as well.

The Apache is by far the best Attack Helicopter in the world right now with the Mi-24 coming as a distant second (Employed and Proven). Load the 8 Apaches against an approaching fast attack boats and it will be able to take out from 70-140 Boats in a single sortie (Counting the 8 together). Or maybe use the unparalleled thermal sights to take out a large number of militants hiding in the forest thickness.

ah64.jpg

Although a total of 110 of these would look awesome in PAA inventory but still we will be happy with ATAK or most favorite Z-10Ps.
30 Z-10P Block-I
40 Z-10P Block-II
40 Z-10P Block-IIIs

ah64.jpg

mmm...Indonesia's air force is comparatively small for such a large nation.

Suffice to say, regardless of how good Apaches are -- if they don't achieve air superiority in the key sectors, and use Apaches beforehand, they are toast.

And besides, tanks don't perform too well on their terrain.

Apaches, or any advanced gunship should be the last thing on their mind as far as their aircraft inventory goes.

Their current air force composition is still far from sufficient.

mmm...Indonesia's air force is comparatively small for such a large nation.

Suffice to say, regardless of how good Apaches are -- if they don't achieve air superiority in the key sectors, and use Apaches beforehand, they are toast.

And besides, tanks don't perform too well on their terrain.

Apaches, or any advanced gunship should be the last thing on their mind as far as their aircraft inventory goes.

Their current air force composition is still far from sufficient.

I have to be honest. I am quite oblivious on the Indonesian Defense Ministey's over all equipment even though I initially thought it was more than sufficient considering their GDP. But yes I will go look it up now. And if it is true that Indonesian defense pillars are lacking then I give in to maybe the Apache is an extravagant they can't afford right now.

Edit: Looking at their Air Force mix up I dare say I was wrong. As the Indonesian Air Force is probably an Air Force that can be subdued in a matter of hours at most. And thus they seriously need huge future acquisitions just to reach the level of having a respectable Air Force.

I have to be honest. I am quite oblivious on the Indonesian Defense Ministey's over all equipment even though I initially thought it was more than sufficient considering their GDP. But yes I will go look it up now. And if it is true that Indonesian defense pillars are lacking then I give in to maybe the Apache is an extravagant they can't afford right now.

Edit: Looking at their Air Force mix up I dare say I was wrong. As the Indonesian Air Force is probably an Air Force that can be subdued in a matter of hours at most. And thus they seriously need huge future acquisitions just to reach the level of having a respectable Air Force.

Actually, they do have the money, resources and potential. However, their politicians are bureaucrats are very corrupt. Even their military! :sick:

Their air force should be larger. Much larger.

Actually, they do have the money, resources and potential. However, their politicians are bureaucrats are very corrupt. Even their military! :sick:

Their air force should be larger. Much larger.

Our politicians are very corrupt, but not with military, heck they even provide KPK (anti-corruption committee) their military prisons. Indonesia's foreign policy is to keep the region away from arm race that can easily drag the region in war like in the '60s. Anyway, Indonesia has no enemy, so keeping the military, especially air force, in average level only to conduct patrol and keep the sovereignity is a wise decision.

Indonesia has always been pro-Western apart from the time Indonesian invaded East Timor, where every Western Country turn their back on them and seriously dmaage Indonesian-Australian Relation. (Basically all of the Military HArdware used to invade East Timor or Portugese Timor were American supplies, whic hleft the American red faced)

With more than a few decade pass on and the relationship is back on track, now the Indonesian were going back to the western sphere of influence. Hence they are considering the AH-64D.

With the purchase itself. There are no such thing as a useless purchase. Indonesia itself do not have a foreign threat however, there are a very strong insurgence going on with all the different ethnic group for over 30 years, and in term of attack helicopter, the Longbow is the best choice for Anti-insurgnece warfare as you can use it as scout/observation platform or as an attack role.

Traditionally, the airspace is co-defended by Australia and Indonesia (As there are several Australian oversea territorial near Indonesian water (Cocos island, Chritmas island and so on)) Hence a large airforce are currently not needed by the indonesian. What they need is a counter-insurgence type weapon platform, i think Longbow could be coming in quite alright

jhungary...There is always a Threat, saying Threat does not exist would be foolish.

I would Agree with Oscar MI-35s would have been a better option yet saving alot of cash. No matter how secure you feel you need to secure your Air Space with SAMs-Radars, UAVs and a small but modern Air Force is the hour of Need. Indonesia has the necessary cash budget. $60M+ per Apache is way too costly and it do not even include lifetime Costs which would eventually go as much as $85M each.

Indonesia is set for a modest expansion of it's air-force in the next 10-15 years with the delivery of 50 KFX, 24 F-16 and 6 SU-30. This will be 80 additional fighters and the KF-X should be better than any fighter currently available bar the F-22.

Even then this air-force will be horribly undersized when compared to Indonesia's then expected economy and needs. I expect hundreds of fighters to be delivered to Indonesia next decade and it's air-force should easily be much more powerful than Australia, Singapore or Malaysia's.

jhungary...There is always a Threat, saying Threat does not exist would be foolish.

I would Agree with Oscar MI-35s would have been a better option yet saving alot of cash. No matter how secure you feel you need to secure your Air Space with SAMs-Radars, UAVs and a small but modern Air Force is the hour of Need. Indonesia has the necessary cash budget. $60M+ per Apache is way too costly and it do not even include lifetime Costs which would eventually go as much as $85M each.

I didn't say threat does not exist, i am just saying the major threat was coming from the inside not from any other country.

The problem with Mi-35 is their capability of operating in restricted envelope level. Vert prone to the portal SAM attack (Russia lost a lot of those in Afghanistan by portable missile.) And Portable SAM is probably the most iconic weapon any insurgence will use

Also there is another problem with logistic, currentkly the Indonesian AF did not operate any Russian chopper,all are either French or American (Well, there are a Canadian Bell) so they would rather buy the American chopter have have their pilot train in the states (Which they do already) then start a new line with new mechanic, ground crew train up, that gonna save them a lot of money too.

ah64.jpg

I think by useless people are referring to the tiny number of the helos ordered. Not even a squadron.

Yeah, I am also wondering why our govt won't add the number of our Mi 35Ps up to at least two squadron before purchasing another type of attack helos

Back
Top Bottom