What's new

Indonesia to buy 8 Apache attack helicopters

The problem with Mi-35 is their capability of operating in restricted envelope level. Vert prone to the portal SAM attack (Russia lost a lot of those in Afghanistan by portable missile.) And Portable SAM is probably the most iconic weapon any insurgence will use.

Also there is another problem with logistic, currently the Indonesian AF did not operate any Russian chopper,all are either French or American (Well, there are a Canadian Bell) so they would rather buy the American copter have have their pilot train in the states (Which they do already) then start a new line with new mechanic, ground crew train up, that gonna save them a lot of money too.

Even Apaches are prone to portable SAMs but Yes it is a maneuverable machine. I don't agree, saying Indonesia had operated French/US Helicopters so it would be easy to procure and operate AH-64s. Indonesia has no logistics-training support for AH-64s specifically, They'll have to establish it from the scratch. AH-64 all together is a different beast not a regular small utility helicopter. MI-35s is a very capable successful Gunship Helicopter.

Even Apaches are prone to portable SAMs but Yes it is a maneuverable machine. I don't agree, saying Indonesia had operated French/US Helicopters so it would be easy to procure and operate AH-64s. Indonesia has no logistics-training support for AH-64s specifically, They'll have to establish it from the scratch. AH-64 all together is a different beast not a regular small utility helicopter. MI-35s is a very capable successful Gunship Helicopter.

Well, having seen action personnally when an AH-64D guiding a Mi-35 into ground sweep, i can tell you this both have their advantage and disadvantage.

Undoubtedly Mi-35 is a very good Chopper (If they are well maintained otherwise will be a flying coffin) there are something the Mi-35 can do and the Longbow cannot, there are also something the longbow can do and the Mi-35 cannot.

As i said, i think Indonesia using both chopper to do anti-insurgency and we have been doing it with the ANA in afghanistan with the same thing, what they do is, you use an American longbow to guide 2 ANA Mi-35 into a ground sweep and then when the longbow ID and supress the ground fire, two Mi-35 insert a small team to finish off the insurgent. THis have been doing with some success in south-eastern Afghanistan.

If any country want to buy the Longbow, 80% of their reason is their forward and top mounting radar. WHile with the people buying Mi-35, they want their versitilities wher you can use them as CAS while hot-dropping troop.

I am not representing Indonesia, think we can only guess, and i think only people that better than you and me know exactly why they bought the Longbow. Feel free to disagree :)

what all this fuss is about? it just 8 apaches! beside Indonesia bought the best attack helicopter in the world, thats a good choice.

Back
Top Bottom