What's new

Indonesia New Capital City in East Kalimantan news and updates

The new capital is started being built

Government uses Sukuk (Government Shariah Bond) to build several projects, among the infrastructure being built is Campus (Institute Technology Kalimantan), Laboratories, Madrasah, Dam, Bridge, Police Housing, and road related to new airport ( plan to be built) in East Kalimantan province, all of them to support the new Capital City located inside East Kalimantan province

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Finance Minister, Sri Mulyani Indrawati visited the Capital City

Last edited:
I couldn't find a name for it, has that not been decided yet?

President has proposed the name "Nusantara". Parliament will need to have meeting to discuss it.

Nusantara is the indigenous name of Indonesia. Nusantara meaning is Indonesian Archipelago.

Nusantara
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Nusantara is the Indonesian name of Maritime Southeast Asia (or parts of it). It is an Old Javanese term which literally means "outer islands".[1] In Indonesia, it is generally taken to mean the Indonesian Archipelago.[2][3]

The word Nusantara is taken from an oath by Gajah Mada in 1336, as written in the Old Javanese Pararaton and Nagarakretagama.[4] Gajah Mada was a powerful military leader and prime minister of Majapahit credited with bringing the empire to its peak of glory. Gajah Mada delivered an oath called Sumpah Palapa, in which he vowed not to eat any food containing spices until he had conquered all of Nusantara under the glory of Majapahit.

The concept of Nusantara as a unified region was not invented by Gajah Mada in 1336. Earlier in 1275, the term Cakravala Mandala Dvipantara is used to describe the Southeast Asian archipelago by Kertanegara of Singhasari.[5] Dvipantara is a Sanskrit word for the "islands in between", making it a synonym to Nusantara as both dvipa and nusa mean "island". Kertanegara envisioned the union of Southeast Asian maritime kingdoms and polities under Singhasari as a bulwark against the rise of the expansionist Mongol Yuan dynasty in mainland China.

In a wider sense, Nusantara in modern language usage includes Malay-related cultural and linguistic lands, namely, Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore, Southern Thailand, the Philippines, Brunei, East Timor and Taiwan, while excluding Papua New Guinea.[6][7][8]

Last edited:
President has proposed the name "Nusantara". Parliament will need to have meeting to discuss it.

Nusantara is the indigenous name of Indonesia. Nusantara meaning is Indonesian Archipelago.

Nusantara
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Nusantara is the Indonesian name of Maritime Southeast Asia (or parts of it). It is an Old Javanese term which literally means "outer islands".[1] In Indonesia, it is generally taken to mean the Indonesian Archipelago.[2][3]

The word Nusantara is taken from an oath by Gajah Mada in 1336, as written in the Old Javanese Pararaton and Nagarakretagama.[4] Gajah Mada was a powerful military leader and prime minister of Majapahit credited with bringing the empire to its peak of glory. Gajah Mada delivered an oath called Sumpah Palapa, in which he vowed not to eat any food containing spices until he had conquered all of Nusantara under the glory of Majapahit.

The concept of Nusantara as a unified region was not invented by Gajah Mada in 1336. Earlier in 1275, the term Cakravala Mandala Dvipantara is used to describe the Southeast Asian archipelago by Kertanegara of Singhasari.[5] Dvipantara is a Sanskrit word for the "islands in between", making it a synonym to Nusantara as both dvipa and nusa mean "island". Kertanegara envisioned the union of Southeast Asian maritime kingdoms and polities under Singhasari as a bulwark against the rise of the expansionist Mongol Yuan dynasty in mainland China.

In a wider sense, Nusantara in modern language usage includes Malay-related cultural and linguistic lands, namely, Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore, Southern Thailand, the Philippines, Brunei, East Timor and Taiwan, while excluding Papua New Guinea.[6][7][8]

It sounds beautiful.
There is a meaning behind it, it is indigenous, and it is pronounceable for foreigners. It ticks all the boxes.

It would be sad to have a lovely name with a lovely meaning, but the rest of the world cannot pronounce, but this one sounds good.

I hope you wont mind, but I have to say Indonesian women are very beautiful lol

It sounds beautiful.
There is a meaning behind it, it is indigenous, and it is pronounceable for foreigners. It ticks all the boxes.

It would be sad to have a lovely name with a lovely meaning, but the rest of the world cannot pronounce, but this one sounds good.

I hope you wont mind, but I have to say Indonesian women are very beautiful lol

Yup it is indigenous, the words come from our Austronesian language

Indonesian women is beautiful because our ancestor is also beautiful :D

Current Indonesians are getting more genetic from many places, that girl on the YT that I previously posted I think has South Asian gene component

While you can see other feature in this YT channel

Pakistani women is also very beautiful, even one of my cousin married one 8-)

Yup it is indigenous, the words come from our Austronesian language

Indonesian women is beautiful because our ancestor is also beautiful :D

Current Indonesians are getting more genetic from many places, that girl on the YT that I previously posted I think has South Asian gene component

While you can see other feature in this YT channel

Pakistani women is also very beautiful, even one of my cousin married one 8-)

For most Pakistanis, religion is the most important form of identity, the Pakistani identity is just as important, but they are not ashamed to admit Islam is paramount. I've come across Pakistanis married to so many different nationalities, Islam seems to be the bonding element, because I have yet to come across a Pakistani who changed religion for their partner. Obviously I am referring to the majority, and not everyone.

Although, myself I am very "secular" whatever that word means, for me Islam is mainly an important part of identity.
I've noticed Indonesians are becoming more religious, or maybe they always were and I am just hearing about it more because of access to news.

Hopefully one day I will visit Indonesia, the nearest I've been is Malaysia, I had a lovely experience, ended up spending Eid with a local family, it was truly memorable.

For most Pakistanis, religion is the most important form of identity, the Pakistani identity is just as important, but they are not ashamed to admit Islam is paramount. I've come across Pakistanis married to so many different nationalities, Islam seems to be the bonding element, because I have yet to come across a Pakistani who changed religion for their partner. Obviously I am referring to the majority, and not everyone.

Although, myself I am very "secular" whatever that word means, for me Islam is mainly an important part of identity.
I've noticed Indonesians are becoming more religious, or maybe they always were and I am just hearing about it more because of access to news.

Hopefully one day I will visit Indonesia, the nearest I've been is Malaysia, I had a lovely experience, ended up spending Eid with a local family, it was truly memorable.

Actually it is rare to see Pakistani or Pakistani descent in Jakarta, more chance to meet Indian descend or expats in Jakarta.

Talking about religiosity, yup there is an increase, particularly can be easily seen among women who are in majority wearing Hijab now.

The different between Indonesian and Malaysian I think is the food. Malaysian has many non Muslim citizens, around 40 %, while Indonesian Muslim is almost 90 %. This is then translate into security in getting Halal food from restaurants. In Kuala Lumpur Malay ethnic is only 40 % and in total has 46 % Muslim population (minority) compared to Jakarta with total Muslim population in 83 %.

Non Muslim restaurant cannot survive doing business in Muslim majority regions in Indonesia, unless if non Muslim own an international restaurant chain where almost all already have Halal certificate with Muslim workers working there. Even for very popular International restaurant chains like McDonald and Kentucky Fried Chicken the license in Indonesia are also hold by Muslim.

Parliament has decided to pass the law about new capital soon, the debate is over and it will likely become effective soon, so the new capital city in Kalimantan will likely become a reality.

Nusantara is original Name of Kutai Kartanegara kingdom which is now in East Kalimantan Province

Officially the Law has passed and now become an effective one. Nusantara will be built :super:

Will it be a city built around public transit or cars?

If we see the current design, it will have proper public transportation in the form of LRT and MRT with huge pedestrian alongside the main road. The city is also designed as the modern city where cars and motorcycles will be EV.

Around 6 months from now, the exact design will be presented in digital format that can be seen by all Indonesians who have internet access. It is basically designed as green city and the look will not like Dubai or Singapore. I think it has more common with Islamabad which is also very green with so many trees, but the architecture will use more modern design as it is built in 21 century and Indonesian local architecture will also be part of it, but due to we have so many ethnicity with their own character and design so modern design will be the neutral choice, we can see in the Presidential Palace design that doesn use any Indonesian cultural architecture design because it can cause jelousy if for instants Javanese design or West Sumatran design is picked.

Indonesia passes law to relocate capital to remote Kalimantan

1642522116210.png

Lawmakers attend a House of Representatives plenary session in Senayan, Jakarta on March 8, 2021. ANTARA FOTO/Galih Pradipta/hp. (Antara/Galih Pradipta)

Agencies

Jakarta ● Tue, January 18, 2022

The House of Representatives has approved a bill to relocate the nation's capital from Jakarta to a jungled area of East Kalimantan, the head of National Planning Agency (Bappenas) said on Tuesday.

The new state capital law, which provides a legal framework for President Joko "Widodo" Widodo's ambitious $32 billion mega project, stipulates how development of the capital will be funded and governed.

"The new capital has a central function and is a symbol of the identity of the nation, as well as a new centre of economic gravity," Bappenas head, Suharso Monoarfa, told lawmakers after the bill was passed into law on Tuesday, quoted by Reuters.

The new centre will be called "Nusantara", a Javanese name for the Indonesian archipelago chosen by the President, Suharso announced on Monday. Plans to relocate the government from Jakarta, a bustling megacity of 10 million people that suffers from chronic congestion, floods and air pollution, have been floated by multiple presidents, but none have made it this far.

Jokowi first announced the plan in 2019, but progress was delayed by the pandemic. Indonesia has envisioned the new capital as a low-carbon "super hub" that will support pharmaceutical, health and technology sectors and promote sustainable growth beyond Java island.

But critics say the law was rushed through with limited public consultation and environmental consideration.

Nusantara – which follows the creation of new capitals in countries like Brazil and more recently Myanmar – will be led by a chief authority whose position is equivalent to a minister, deputy chair of the bill's special committee, Saan Mustofa, said on Monday. Among those being considered for the position, according to local media reports, are former research and technology minister, Bambang Brodjonegoro, and Jakarta's former governor, Basuki Tjahaja Purnama, better known as or Ahok.

Bappenas has estimated that the construction of Indonesia’s new capital city in East Kalimantan will take decades, indicating that the project will stretch far beyond President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo’s current and final five-year term.

Suharso told lawmakers in September last year that the agency estimated 15 to 20 years would be needed for the relocation, including all requirements. Suharso, who also serves as national development planning minister, said the agency would divide the development period of almost two decades into several stages, each with its own tasks and timeline.

The city is to occupy an area of 256,000 hectares in the East Kalimantan regencies of North Penajam Paser and Kutai Kartanegara. As the future capital, it would take some of the pressure off Jakarta, which currently serves as both the country’s administrative center and business hub.

Another way to make more money by the business and political elites. Indonesian members will disagree, but you will see how Jakarta and surrounding areas will be deprived of investments. People don't realise only the wealthy will be able to move to new capital.

Look at Karachi, Burmese capital etc etc.

Borneo is a good choice because it is a huge underdeveloped island on both the Malaysian and Indonesian sides. It has great potential.

Another way to make more money by the business and political elites. Indonesian members will disagree, but you will see how Jakarta and surrounding areas will be deprived of investments. People don't realise only the wealthy will be able to move to new capital.

Look at Karachi, Burmese capital etc etc.

Jakarta and the surrounding (West Java) is already the center of business and industry. West Java is where the high tech industry located ( automotive, EV battery, automotive part, etc). Bandung city in West Java is like Seatle of USA where aerospace company and other high tech industry like in electronic are located, it is because the best STEM university in Indonesia are located in Bandung and it keep expanding to surrounding West Java.

New Capital city is like Washington where Jakarta is New York City. If we want to make company like in IT and other service industry, Jakarta is the choice. Jakarta has the busiest seaport in Indonesia while busiest Airport is in Banten province, next to Jakarta. Stock Exchange is in Jakarta and will not be moved since Jakarta as Indonesia business center will be maintained.

Kalimantan can be said as half jungle, far from Indonesia main population, industry, best universities, and financial center. The reason to move the capital city is practically political choice in order not to make Indonesia is too Java centric. 80 % of Foreign Direct Investment in Indonesia goes to Java island. We want to make the development more balance. And since Kalimantan has huge hydro power potency, so we want to make green industry there, something that is difficult to be done in Java.

Green Industry in Kalimantan has already been started which come from Indonesian local business and China investment

Back
Top Bottom