What's new

Indonesia is the global leader in piracy

hoho, the Bugis people as notorious pirates and privateer in the past have been a menace for Western Navy and Commercial fleet since the age of sailing, hence came the words of boogeyman

but take notice, we will keep sinking Vietnamese illegal fishing vessels, they came first in our priority to be sunken properly and adequately with any measure we had

Bugis people are so famous as fighters, even in my middle class neighborhood, my Bugis friends ( during old days) are always active during block fight (teenagers fighting among neighborhoods in Jakarta). One of them even dare to fight around 6-7 bus drivers even though end up lost though......:D

Today our younger people are not as tough as the old days though, no fight any more nowadays ...........:lol:

Their female are also pretty, some are white skin with pointed nose as well ( like my neighbors), I think they are mix with the Arab in the old days, I can see Arab features on them, thats where they got the temper I guest ........:partay: .Even though maybe it is not the case since Islam was spread in South Sulawesi was due to Minang Kabau preachers working under Aceh sultanate.

In the ancient Thailand, they are seen as famous mercenaries, even one street in Thailand is named from the braveness of Bugis people fighting for Thailand people for money. They were also fighting against Thailand people because being used by the westerners, and in Indonesia they even fighting another Indonesian ( Fighting Minang Kabau people of West Sumatra under Imam Bonjol who fought against the Dutch) for money given by the Dutch. And during the time, I believe Islam was still not the majority religion of Bugis which is a different situation like Today when almost all Bugis are Muslim.

In Indonesia, they are also well known as one of famous trader ethnics even until now. Our Vice President for instant is a conglomerate, and he is a Bugis. Our aerospace godfather is also a Bugis which is BJ Habibie ( also former President) and his son Ilham who has PT RAI that will try to make R-80 passenger aircraft.

Even current PM of Malaysia (Najib Razak) and former PM of Malaysia (Abdullah Ahmad Badawi) are Bugis descent. But still their first modern king (Yang Dipertuan Agong) is from my tribe, Minang Kabau (originated from West Sumatra of Indonesia)........ :azn:

Last edited:
There are four big tribes in South Sulawesi. The biggest two are Bugis and Makassar. People often confuse these two as one and the same (as Bugis) but they are actually different tribe.

Historically, out of the two, Makassarese were the real pirate and sailors with their ship Phinisi, while Bugis are traders and travelers.

Makassar tribe has a strong seafaring tradition and their kingdom of Gowa was a powerful maritime kingdom. It's the first kingdom to embrace Islam in South Sulawesi and was also the strongest. They had established trade with Australian aborigines long before the arrival of European in the continent.

Gowa's increasing power and influence made VOC nervous which lead to Makassar war (1666-1669). It was the biggest war Dutch ever endure in 17th century.

After Gowa's defeat in Makassar war by Dutch coalition, many of Makassar's nobleman and soldiers who refuse to submit disperse to other areas and continue fighting the Dutch both on land and on sea (most notably is Karaeng Galesong). Some of them became pirates, some as mercenary that eventually became kings in peninsular Malaysia. Current PM of Malaysia, Najib Razak is one of their descendant. His ancestor was a Gowa prince and he has visited Gowa district to pay homage in 2010 (His father Tun Abd. Razak made a visit earlier in 1973). So based on lineage, he is a Makassarese not Bugis.

Being on the winning side in Makassar war, Arung Palakka (Bugis prince of Bone who sided with Dutch) led Bugis to dominance in South Sulawesi replacing Gowa/Makassar. He orchestrated political marriage between Makassar and Bugis royal families, his own. This also followed by commoners of the tribes. All that to assured peace and eradicate the animosity between the two tribes because of the war. South Sulawesi became Bugis land and people from there are called Bugis from then on.

Because of the "merging" that has been on for centuries, today, apart from their language, Makassarese and Bugis are almost indistinguishable. The line has been blurred. Most South Sulawesian diaspora from the two tribes abroad don't mind nor care to be labelled as either Bugis or Makassar (which led people outside to believe they are the same). However in their respective heartland, Makassarese don't like to be called as Bugis and vice versa.

Last edited:
There are four big tribes in South Sulawesi. The biggest two are Bugis and Makassar. People often confuse these two as one and the same (as Bugis) but they are actually different tribe.

Historically, out of the two, Makassarese were the real pirate and sailors, while Bugis are traders and travelers onboard their ships, Phinisi.

Makassar tribe has a strong seafaring tradition and their kingdom of Gowa was a powerful maritime kingdom. It's the first kingdom to embrace Islam in South Sulawesi and was also the strongest. They had established trade with Australian aborigines long before the arrival of European in the continent.

Gowa's increasing power and influence made VOC nervous which lead to Makassar war (1666-1669). It was the biggest war Dutch ever endure in 17th century.

After Gowa's defeat in Makassar war by Dutch coalition, many of Makassar's nobleman and soldiers who refuse to submit disperse to other areas and continue fighting the Dutch both on land and on sea (most notably is Karaeng Galesong). Some of them became pirates, some as mercenary that eventually became kings in peninsular Malaysia. Current PM of Malaysia, Najib Razak is one of their descendant. His ancestor was a Gowa prince and he has visited Gowa district to pay homage in 2010 (His father Tun Abd. Razak made a visit earlier in 1973). So based on lineage, he is a Makassarese not Bugis.

Being on the winning side in Makassar war, Arung Palakka (Bugis prince of Bone who sided with Dutch) led Bugis to dominance in South Sulawesi replacing Gowa/Makassar. He orchestrated political marriage between Makassar and Bugis royal families, his own. This also followed by commoners of the tribes. All that to assured peace and eradicate the animosity between the two tribes because of the war. South Sulawesi became Bugis land and people from there are called Bugis from then on.

Because of the "merging" that has been on for centuries, today, apart from their language, Makassarese and Bugis are almost indistinguishable. The line has been blurred. Most South Sulawesian diaspora from the two tribes abroad don't mind nor care to be labelled as either Bugis or Makassar (which led people outside to believe they are the same). However in their respective heartland, Makassarese don't like to be called as Bugis and vice versa.

Man, as Indonesian living in the biggest city in which Jakarta where so many different Indonesian tribes and ethnics are here, it is actually the first time I know that Bugis tribe is different with Makassar people......... :)

Lisa Surihani, a Bugis descent or maybe Makassar descent, Malaysian Artist

imageResize.ashx

Last edited:
Black Flag Phinisi
phinisi.jpg

Beside Bugis with their Phinisi, which etnic or tribe in Indonesia have boat making tradition?

Black Flag Phinisi
View attachment 218717

Beside Bugis with their Phinisi, which etnic or tribe in Indonesia have boat making tradition?

Srivijaya in Sumatra has had huge voyage to conquer other South East Asian country like Thailand and Malaysia, and has trading relationship with China, India, and Arab in Malacca Strait, so Srivijaya I believe has that capability too.

From Wiki:

Strait of Malacca - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In the 7th century the maritime empire of Srivijaya based on Palembang, Sumatra, rose to power, and its influence expanded to the Malay peninsula and Java. The empire gained effective control on two major choke points in maritime Southeast Asia; the Strait of Malacca and theSunda Strait. By launching a series of conquests and raids on potentially rival ports on both side of the strait, Srivijaya ensured its economic and military domination in the region lasted for about 700 years. Srivijaya gained a great benefit from the lucrative spice trade, the tributary trade system with China, and trade with Indian and Arab merchants

Srivijaya in Sumatra has had huge voyage to conquer other South East Asian country like Thailand and Malaysia, and has trading relationship with China, India, and Arab in Malacca Strait, so Srivijaya I believe has that capability too.

I mean the boat making tradition that survive until now? Like bugis with their phinisi.

You have your flags wrong. I'm quite sure the first flag should be your national origin, and second should be the country you reside in.
The "flag policy" is entirely arbitrary here, I am British born, raised and residing and yet my flag was changed to the Indian flag without my permission and I am unable to edit this- there is no consistency so why should this fellow have to do anything?

I mean the boat making tradition that survive until now? Like bugis with their phinisi.

Well, I dont know, but I want to share also ship made by Majapahit Empire ( another Indonesian Giant Empire, originated from Java)

Muzium_Negara_KL38.JPG

The model of a Majapahit ship displayed in Muzium Negara, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

Majapahit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Talking about making traditional ships, there are actually many traditional ships maker, and Today they are even still making wooden boats and ships. Whether the garage are in Java or other parts of Indonesia, but they are still active, Phinisi ship become famous because the history and voyage of Bugis people.

Sunda Kelapa Port (traditional and ancient Port in Jakarta)
5468037032_6e3c6ba0cd.jpg

Last edited:
Phinisi became famous because the history and voyage of Bugis people.

Black Flag Phinisi
View attachment 218717

The Phinisi making is preserved today by Makassarese of Bulukumba.
It was Makassarean that made Phinisi famous by their adventure at sea (including piracy). Sebenarnya orang Makassar lah yang mengantar orang Bugis kemana2 dengan phinisi. :D

----

Mandar people of West Sulawesi also have their own traditional boat called Sandeq. They still preserve the making tradition today even have race event each year.

sandeq.jpg

Sandeq - Wikipedia bahasa Indonesia, ensiklopedia bebas

----

Speaking of ancient ship, there is also Borobudur Ship which was recreated based on relief on Borobudur temple. The ship has sailed the old cinnamon route from Indonesia to East Africa.

BorobudurShipsailing.jpg

Borobudur Ship Follows Ancient Spice Route | Arab News

Last edited:

large sailing boats? in the past Jepara, Demak and Semarang area is famous for their Junk type Java Ships. They incorporated sailing technology from various civilization to make ships, like Javanese crafts, Chinese Sail and Arabian lantern sail. But the industry been destroyed by the order of Sultan Agung Mataram, and further been enchanted by the order of VoC in order to monopolizing rice trades in Java and preventing any Javanese ruler to challenge VoC power at sea as they found about the prowess and aggressiveness of Madurese and Surabaya nobles at sea in the past.

As long as i know, the Acehnese, Riau/Malay and Banjar people have ship making tradition too, they have Arabian dhow sail type ships, but with modernization of maritime trade since 1920 onward, bulk cargo carrier is much more efficient and soon eliminated the needs of sailing ships in Nusantara Archipelago.

The Phinisi making is preserved today by Makassarese of Bulukumba.
It was Makassarean that made Phinisi famous by their adventure at sea (including piracy). Sebenarnya orang Makassar lah yang mengantar orang Bugis kemana2 dengan phinisi. :D

----

Mandar people of West Sulawesi also have their own traditional boat called Sandeq. They still preserve the making tradition today even have race event each year.

sandeq.jpg

Sandeq - Wikipedia bahasa Indonesia, ensiklopedia bebas

----

Speaking of ancient ship, there is also Borobudur Ship which was recreated based on relief on Borobudur temple. The ship has sailed the old cinnamon route from Indonesia to East Africa.

BorobudurShipsailing.jpg

Borobudur Ship Follows Ancient Spice Route | Arab News

The close proximity of Sulawesi Island and Mindanao and Visayas Islands is even closer ton each other than say Sulawesi is to Java or Sumatra. Before the age of modern territories, before European colonialism , there was little to no difference in te societies in Sulawesi as with Jaya Mindanaon and Jaya Visaya. In fact the very boats you posted is similar to the boats that Visayans call as "Balangay" .

image.jpg

image.jpg

The Visayans in Mindanao have a saying regarding the Balangay Ship, "Kini Kini Ka Adto Ka Adto Dagat Dagat Namunak Namunak"

:)

Basic balangay sail design maybe quite similar with phinisi although more simple. But phinisi boats are bigger, usually around 30 m long with 350 Ton in size. Average balangay boat only have 15 m long.

phi.jpg

Basic balangay sail design maybe quite similar with phinisi although more simple. But phinisi boats are bigger, usually around 30 m long with 350 Ton in size. Average balangay boat have 15 m long.

View attachment 218850

Very impressive. I've heard of Phinisi ships when I was in Butuan , where they have a Filipino museum that showed an actual balangay ship that was preserved. Interesting to note that during the 10th century, the Kingdom of Butuan was actually an ally and trading partner of Sri Vijayan Empire in the south, as well as had strong trade links with the Kingdom of Champa in what is now Central and Southern Vietnam.

Btw, there was a massive trade culture between Mindanao and Sulawesi in those days. Many of the royalties of the Sultanate of Maguindanao actually intermarried with royalty in central Sulawesi near Parepare. Lots of history between Mindanao and Sulawesi...!

Some Butuanese artistry, that recants the old trade links with Sri Vijaya,
featured_slider-National_Museum-860x280.jpg

Basic balangay sail design maybe quite similar with phinisi although more simple. But phinisi boats are bigger, usually around 30 m long with 350 Ton in size. Average balangay boat only have 15 m long.

View attachment 218850

Is etymology of the word 'Phinisi' anyway related to the word "Phoenician" ? As the Phoenicians were also an ancient sea-faring empire in the Mediterranean. They were the precursors to the Carthaginian Empire....

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom