What's new

Indonesia Economy Forum

The latest addition to our public rail transportation service. The LRT trains are also developed and built by PT.INKA. This one in Palembang, Sumatra.

5b56d2db834bd-light-rail-transit-lrt-di-palembang-sudah-beroperasi_1265_711.jpg

5b56d277c89bd-light-rail-transit-lrt-di-palembang-sudah-beroperasi_1265_711.jpg

5b56d2bec5484-light-rail-transit-lrt-di-palembang-sudah-beroperasi_1265_711.jpg

Last edited:
BTW, I rode an executive carriage from jakarta to bandung not long ago. I have to agree with your evaluation of its weaknesses. The wifi-was on-off, the cafe only had tea, water , and coffee. The wifi was for limited use only. Better than common carriage but not as good as 'true' executive. Still though, the prices weren't as expensive as executive ticket on trains abroad.

LOL told ya.

That is why I've said that it was overprice (value for money). What I still doesn't understand is, why hasn't PT KAI just hire airline consultant to improve their premium service. All PT. KAI need is to add F&B selection into the menu choice to be in par with business-class airline (Garuda) which is not difficult at all since they already warming up all those foods using onboard microwave oven (it's also how cooking were done even onboard executive jet)

Lesser known fact about Indonesia train food, is back before the introduction of the Executive Class (Argo Bromo), all train has their own chef + assistant who manually prepared all the foods using LPG stove, and you need to go to the resto carriage to order & eat there (there is no delivery to passenger seat). Even after the introduction of the Argo Bromo Executive Class they still has the chef onboard, however as time goes they were replaced by the microwave oven.
I mention this because if the train were to be offered as premium service than there is serious need for having chef and bartender onboard to do all the F&B preparation manually. Example of such trains are, The Ghan (Adelaide - Darwin), Indian Pacific (Sidney - Perth), or Eastern & Oriental Express (Woodlands Singapore - Kanchanaburi Thailand)

Have you just gone to Indonesia or something? Was that your video?
Despite the "Executive Class" branding, that train has become pretty standard these days. If you wan't good Indonesia railway you should try this (although I personally consider it sub-par quality)

https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/indonesia-economy-forum.198270/page-187#post-10553931

0fa72082-660f-4a28-be60-8311517d265a_169.jpeg

ebe78a4c-4516-4576-9cbc-929cc2b168da_169.jpeg

a42b329f-b9b2-4dbe-a07e-d476033868c4_169.jpeg

816b6eb9-7ae7-498d-9d80-6f821c086d64_169.jpeg

b873cb5f-886e-427b-954a-5d8bb98873fc_169.jpeg

ad3fad31-37b4-403f-9805-29354a058375_169.jpeg

Did you know that "the competitors" as in business interest & NGO's from neighbouring states (Malaysia, Singapore, Australia) has been busy spreading all kind of black campaign and propaganda against every aspects of Indonesia (goods & service) including socio-politic?

I lived in Singapore for about 7 years and thus visited Indonesia plenty of times....a beautiful country with great people.........but no this is not my video/trip here. It just popped up in one of the youtube channels I sbscribed to (Mark Smith) since I am a world railway fan (I love travelling by train!).

Honestly I plan to visit Indonesia again for sure and will check out the fancier train travels if I can....but to me I am overall interested in the standard rail travel for the bulk of the people (wherever I go)....I find the experience more authentic/interesting that way. For example it is why I travel by regular trains when I am visiting India too.

Considering its a regular/standard train here, I found Indonesia in this video to be very good. The stations were also looking clean and modern. Nice job!

Thanks, compared to what we used to have some years ago.. our train service today is definitely better. From the trains, stations, railway platforms and rail infrastructure are upgraded and underway continuous improvement. It's quite comfortable nowadays to travel with train across Java and Sumatra. Last year around 400 million passengers recorded using train service, mostly commuter rail passengers.

This new enthusiasm also spurs industrial innovation to bring new train and railway technology to Indonesia. In the last few years PT.INKA has develop new products that not only cater to our domestic demand but also targeted for export market. We have some success with Bangladesh, Philippines and some African nations like Senegal just to name a few.

Despite all of that good things i mention, Indonesia is actually still playing catch-up with our neighbors, like Singapore, Malaysia and Thailand. We are content, but hardly satisfied and eager to make a leap in improving our rail service industry.

Yes I remember travelling by train in Indonesia around 2002...things have definitely noticeably improved now. I have to try it again.

I love that in Java you can look out the window and frequently see a massive volcano in the distance with paddy fields etc.. in the foreground. Do javanese people generally know all of their volcanoes by heart from school?

I love that in Java you can look out the window and frequently see a massive volcano in the distance with paddy fields etc.. in the foreground. Do javanese people generally know all of their volcanoes by heart from school?

We (Javanese) only familiar with the volcano that happen to be sitting around the corner. The island of Java is kinda big and there is no way anyone could remember all of them, let alone relating their position. BTW Indonesia education system isn't advanced enough in natural science.

A good graphical reference website of all the volcanic and tectonic activity in Indonesia in real time. It's written in Indonesia, however the graphic will at least provide some sense of what's going on.

https://magma.vsi.esdm.go.id

Javanese people generally respect the existence of the mountain as a form of their coexistence with the environment, the existence of the mountain can provide disaster (volcanic eruption) also it can bring soil fertility for food sustainability. In ancient Javanese society (the era of the hindu-buddha kingdom 4th century to 16th century) was placed in a more essential position, for example 2 ancient religious buildings of Java Borrobudur Temple (built in the 9th century, Buddhist) and Prambanan temple ( built in the 850 CE during the reign of the Hindu Sanjaya Dynasty) both imitate the formation of a coneous mountain (Meru). this tradition even survive today like Joglo traditional Javanese rooftop roof that resembles mountain shape, Javanese food ceremony called tumpeng, and kayon in shadow puppet show, even our traditional mosque has pyramid rooftop resemblance shape of mountain and many more.

f4024c571e5e09ce5e4049bc181500b1-borobudur-temple.jpg

Borrobudur temple, Central Java
Prambanan-Sunrise_small-1080x675.jpg

Prambanan temple, Central Java
kantorwalikotasolo.jpg

Joglo rooftop of Solo city mayor's office, Central Java
images (10).jpeg

Sunan Ampel State Islamic University mosque, East Java
663757_2541700d-d887-4a84-b053-f994f27046c1_660_460.jpg

Kayon in wayang kulit traditional shadow puppet show
the-meaning-of-indonesian-dish-nasi-tumpeng-tumpeng-meaning-160222i.jpg

Yellow rice tumpeng

but in modern Javanese society the existence of the mountain is generally viewed as a natural phenomenon that must be understood and watch out for, generally the active volcanoes are better known by the people of Java and Indonesia since the early age like mount Merapi, mount Semeru, etc.

Honestly I plan to visit Indonesia again for sure and will check out the fancier train travels if I can....but to me I am overall interested in the standard rail travel for the bulk of the people (wherever I go)....I find the experience more authentic/interesting that way.

In case your going for vacationing in Indonesia, here are some highlights (from west to east) ;

Borobudur Temple

Prambanan Temple

Mount Bromo (Tengger caldera complex)

Blue Flame at Mount Ijen

Mount Rinjani

Tri colored crater lake of Mount Kelimutu

Obviously there are many others destination that is equally fascinating,, however I haven't found any video of them that is good enough, not to mention this forum is limited of posting max of 6 video / post

In case your going for vacationing in Indonesia, here are some highlights (from west to east) ;

Borobudur Temple

Prambanan Temple

Mount Bromo (Tengger caldera complex)

Blue Flame at Mount Ijen

Mount Rinjani

Tri colored crater lake of Mount Kelimutu

Obviously there are many others destination that is equally fascinating,, however I haven't found any video of them that is good enough, not to mention this forum is limited of posting max of 6 video / post

Yes I did most of the cultural destinations like Borobudur and Prambanan as well as Bali over my previous trips. I did a rainforest tour in Borneo as well and geography wise and some scuba diving etc.. around Lombok.

This is still like maybe just 1% of Indonesia, it is such a large magnificent country...yes I do plan to do a good volcano trek at some point and visit the islands further east for the more untouched nature spots.

Enggartiasto meets USTR discussing expansion of bilateral trade

Minggu, 29 Juli 2018 16:34 WIB - 0 Views
Reporter: Vicki Febrianto
IMG_0022.jpg

Trade minister Enggartiasto Lukita at 32nd ASEAN Summit in Singapore. (Hanni Sofia)
Jakarta, (ANTARA News) - Trade Minister Enggartiasto Lukita has met with the United States Trade Representative (USTR) to discuss expansion of trade between the two countries.

Enggartiasto , on a working visit to the United States, met with Robert E. Lighthizer in Washington DC, seeking to remove barriers hampering expansion of the bilateral trader.

The USTR welcomed the initiative of the Indonesian government to expand cooperation between the two democracies, Enggartiarso said in a statement received here on Sunday.

"Cooperation between Indonesia and the United States is expected to increase the trade value, which we think is very small in comparison with the potential existing," Enggartiasto said in the statement.

The Minister said Indonesia would increase exports of Indonesian commodities needed in the United States and on the other hand import industrial basic materials and capital goods from the United States not yet produced in Indonesia.

"Amid global economic uncertainties Indonesia has to be proactive in utilizing any opportunity," he said.

Enggartiasto told Lighthizer Indonesian concern about issues of trade barriers hampering attempts to expand bilateral trade between the two countries, the statement said.

Among the issues are the plan to review the Generalized System of Preferences (GSP) facility for Indonesia that might mean the slapping of import duty on Indonesian steel and aluminum products .

"Maintaining the GSP scheme would benefit not only Indonesia but it also would be in the interest of the U.S. industry," he said.

The U.S. industrial consumers would suffer from high production cost if using basic materials with higher price of import from Indonesia, he said, adding, "therefore,this is a mutually beneficial cooperation."

Indonesia still needs GSP to improve its competitiveness in the U.S. market, he went on to say.

Among Indonesian commodities exported to the United States with the GSP facility include rubber, car tires, metal ornaments, aluminum , hand gloves,musical instruments , loudspeakers and batteries.

In 2017, Indonesia exported US$1.9 billion worth of goods with GSP facility to the United States, much smaller than exports by other countries with the same facility such as US$5.6 billion by India, US$4.2 billion by Thailand and US$2.5 billion by Brazil.

Data at the Central Bureau of Statistics (BPS) showed that bilateral trade between Indonesia and the United States in 2017 was valued at US$25.91 billion favoring Indonesia with a surplus of US$9.67 billion from its exports of US$17.79 billion as against imports of only US$8.12 billion .

Editor: Yosep Hariyadi
COPYRIGHT © ANTARA 2018

Yes I did most of the cultural destinations like Borobudur and Prambanan as well as Bali over my previous trips. I did a rainforest tour in Borneo as well and geography wise and some scuba diving etc.. around Lombok.

This is still like maybe just 1% of Indonesia, it is such a large magnificent country...yes I do plan to do a good volcano trek at some point and visit the islands further east for the more untouched nature spots.

To do Volcano track you must read the conditions beforehand and asking advice from our consulate or embassy which Volcanoes is safe at the times for visit. You know, our Country lies at ring of fires, thats important to gather information first. Dont do something reckles, for example in Southern Java right now there is high wave in ocean one wave can reach 7-8 meter height, or dont visit Sinabung because ash Volcano eruption

To do Volcano track you must read the conditions beforehand and asking advice from our consulate or embassy which Volcanoes is safe at the times for visit. You know, our Country lies at ring of fires, thats important to gather information first. Dont do something reckles, for example in Southern Java right now there is high wave in ocean one wave can reach 7-8 meter height, or dont visit Sinabung because ash Volcano eruption

Thank you dear, yes I am always very careful with these matters...no worries!

I do plan to do a good volcano trek at some point and visit the islands further east for the more untouched nature spots.

Which volcano, perhaps I could help by providing accurate & up to date map of the area?

One thing that I've always stressed out in any other forum (usually survivalist & a wilderness kind of forum) and I also going to stress it out again here is this ;

1. There is a very good reason why safety advisory exists. And for your own safety and wellbeing you should heed them and what has been advice to you by the forest ranger.
  2. Logistic & contingency planning. This is as equally critical because I kept seeing some dumb tourist end up needing rescue simply because they were underestimating the logistic requirement to do the excursion safely.
This is my personal logistical planner template that were made for backpacking trip to The Seven Mountain Lake and to Mount Semeru / Mahameru. You can copy it into your own Google account (assuming you have any) and editing it to your need. The template take account of weight and doing quick analysis of your weight distribution. That way you can make better (safer) plan beforehand, also I had written quick reference of the navigation related aspect, local flora & fauna that might be needed during emergency situation. Hopefully it will help you or anyone else to manage their logistical planning while maintaining as lightweight as possible.

I actually had written many aspects of jungle & tropical mountain rainforest survival elsewhere in more speciality forum, however I don't think most people here have any interest on the subject anyway, also this is not the appropriate place.

Last edited:
Indonesia's Innovativeness Improves, Regulatory Environment Lags Behind

Creative goods are among Indonesia's strengths in the Global Innovation Index. (Antara Photo/Mohammad Ayudha)

By Amal Ganesha on 6:09 pm Jul 24, 2018
Category Business , Economy , Analysis
Jakarta.
Indonesia's rank in the Global Innovation Index has slightly improved to 85th from 87th in 2017, reflecting improvements in the country's business environment.

The annual report is sponsored by graduate business school Insead, Cornell University's SC Johnson College of Business and the World Intellectual Property Organization.

"For Indonesia, a country with a large and young population, situated in the most dynamic region of the world, possibilities are significant to leverage its economic and social potential to benefit from global innovation," Insead executive director for global indices Bruno Lanvin told the Jakarta Globe last week.

This year, 126 countries were listed, out of them 15 in Southeast Asia and Oceania. Singapore is the region's best performer, ranking fifth.

Switzerland leads the rank for the eighth consecutive year.

The Global Innovation Index (GII) ranks economies based on indicators ranging from the creation of mobile applications to education spending, scientific research, publications and intellectual property filing rates.

Indonesia's strengths were in its huge domestic market, creative goods exports and university-industry research collaboration.

Business environment, in terms of opening new businesses, has significantly improved, coming in line with Indonesia's higher rank in the World Bank's "Ease of Doing Business" index, in which it was 72nd in 2017, compared with 109th in 2016.

Now it takes 22 days on average to start a business in Jakarta, better than in 2012, when it took 45 days to go through the same process.

However, the country's regulatory environment is still weak, among the weakest in the ranking.

http://jakartaglobe.id/economy/indo...-improves-regulatory-environment-lags-behind/

Garuda to have eight new units of airbus and boeing aircraft
Selasa, 31 Juli 2018 09:20 WIB - 2 Views

Reporter: Antara

20140401050.jpg

Garuda Indonesia (ANTARA FOTO/Muhammad Iqbal)

Jakarta (ANTARA News) - The state owned airline Garuda Indonesia said it will have eight new units of aircraft in the next two years including 3 units of Airbus A330-900 neo in 2019 and five units of Boeing 737 Max 8 in 2020.

Chief Executive of the airline Pahala N Mansury said the new units will bring the total number of its aircraft to 202 units.

The narrow bodied Max 8 aircraft will be used to serve domestic routes, Pahala said here on Monday.

"We already have one unit of Max 8, serving the Surabaya-Singapore and the Surabaya-Hong Kong routes," he said.

In 2017, Garuda put off the purchases of 20 new units of aircraft including 10 units for its subsidiary Citilink to save operating cost.

The Indonesian flag carrier is set to improve its financial performance this year after posting a loss of US$216 million last year, Pahala said.

The airline had cut operational costs and increased its revenue in the first three months of the year, thanks to effective strategies including stopping serving unproductive routes, particularly international routes, renegotiating with partners to optimize the quality of planes and gaining revenue from non-ticket sales, he was quoted as saying .

"Last year, we concluded 12 renegotiations and we plan to renegotiate nine other contracts this year. We have seen good impact from the renegotiations [on our corporate financial performance," Pahala said in a press conference.

Among its subsidiaries, low cost airline Citilink and PT Garuda Maintenance and Facility Aero Asia (GMF),are the largest contributors to its revenues.

Garuda has successfully maintained its 5-Star rating from Skytrax, the international air transport rating organization based in London. The airline received the 5-Star airline rating in 2014.

Reporting by Juwita Trisna Rahayu
Editing by Albert Saragih
Editor: Fardah Assegaf

COPYRIGHT © ANTARA 2018

Back
Top Bottom