What's new

Indonesia Defence Forum

i'm among those firm believer that Indonesia will be better optimised if we stick to original plan in New Order era, to entirely operate single engine fighters but in large number
The entire notion that you need double-engined heavy fighters to cover the geographic spread of our airspace falls flat when you can also buy a lot more aircraft of the same type and spread them out among airbases to cover the distance. At most you would also have significantly increased air power generation at a highly reduced cost.

We need to maintain our current policy to have 2 different set of fighters. It's too risky to have just one. Any problem on the supply (parts/missiles/etc) for whatever reason (technical, political, etc) will cripple our air force instantly.

So far we have been managing the U.S. and Russians sets very well. If we want to phase out the Russian ones and stop importing them once and for all, then we have to start looking for the alternative to replace them.

European jets will do nicely. It's obviously easier to manage the U.S + European ones compare to the U.S. + Russians.

Building new infrastructure is off course costly. Initial investment in almost any kind of sectors always needs more money. That's why we have to make sure it's worth it.

Just compare all the future development and replacement of any European jet alternatives that we have now. Pick the best of the bunch.

(sorry I don't really trust our KFX program for now)

The entire notion that you need double-engined heavy fighters to cover the geographic spread of our airspace falls flat when you can also buy a lot more aircraft of the same type and spread them out among airbases to cover the distance. At most you would also have significantly increased air power generation at a highly reduced cost.
Now i have someone who understands my thinking exactly. Back in 1996, Air Chief Marshal Tubagus Sutria back then Chief of Staff to The Air Force forwarded plan to operate 60 units of F-16 & equally the number of Hawk series, we even aimed to acquire 9 F-16 A/B Block 15 OCU intended originally to Pakistan however President Bill Clinton's administration critics regarding our conducts in East Timor failed the acquisition. I wonder if we can revive the old plan.

We need to maintain our current policy to have 2 different set of fighters. It's too risky to have just one. Any problem on the supply (parts/missiles/etc) for whatever reason (technical, political, etc) will cripple our air force instantly.

So far we have been managing the U.S. and Russians sets very well. If we want to phase out the Russian ones and stop importing them once and for all, then we have to start looking for the alternative to replace them.

European jets will do nicely. It's obviously easier to manage the U.S + European ones compare to the U.S. + Russians.

Building new infrastructure is off course costly. Initial investment in almost any kind of sectors always needs more money. That's why we have to make sure it's worth it.

Just compare all the future development and replacement of any European jet alternatives that we have now. Pick the best of the bunch.

All i can say just let's see the developments. I'm not entirely disagree on this however there are many considerations to think about. I suppose later it's up to The President who will give final say on this.

Now i have someone who understands my thinking exactly. Back in 1996, Air Chief Marshal Tubagus Sutria back then Chief of Staff to The Air Force forwarded plan to operate 60 units of F-16 & equally the number of Hawk series, we even aimed to acquire 9 F-16 A/B Block 15 OCU intended originally to Pakistan however President Bill Clinton's administration critics regarding our conducts in East Timor failed the acquisition. I wonder if we can revive the old plan.

64 units of F-16 and 96 units of Hawk series (down from 124 units).

European fighter like Typhoon and American jet are in the same camp. Western camp. Buying Typhoon is not mean to do diversification for possible embargo that we have experienced before. Do you still remember that not only F16 that got the US embargo effect but also our Hawk from Britain ?

As I said previously buying Typhoon IMO is more due to cheap price and quick delivery and I dont think it will get upgrade because if it do the upgrade the delivery will be quite long and the price will be going up significantly.

Thanks, I stand corrected then. So it seems that it's a similar case with the F-16 Blk 15 OCU, where it has provisions to fire the old version of AMRAAM it just that it doesn't come as standard.
So it can't fire amraam c7 ?

Indonesian delegation on ukrainian armor corporation , they were thought to interested in BMP-1 , BMP-2 Modernization and the new BMP-V (Vartoviy) and Varta MRAP for joint local production
1599542215933.png
1599542736219.png

1599542797704.png

their BMP-2 modernization
1599542881169.png

i asked the admin about BMP-V , they were indigenous new IFV made by them with base reference design of BMP-2 , and are actually fairly new stuff , they were powered with western scania and caterpillar engine , the prototype is there but they are yet about to showed it to public , and indonesia delegation is one of the first group to actually seen it with their own eyes , ukrainian armour is also the one who create the truck platform for the new ukraine coastal based neptune missile .

Last edited:
So it can't fire amraam c7 ?
The Blk 15 OCU can't, only AIM-120A . Only after the MLU with an updated software tape & FCR it gained the capability for more advanced AAM, such as the C7

The Blk 15 OCU can't, only AIM-120A . Only after the MLU with an updated software tape & FCR it gained the capability for more advanced AAM, such as the C7
We're talking about Austrian Typhoon right?

Indonesian delegation on ukrainian armor corporation , they were thought to interested in BMP-1 , BMP-2 Modernization and the new BMP-V (Vartoviy) and Varta MRAP for joint local production
Why on earth we would be interested in BMP-1!? BMP-2 currently filling the role as make-shift SPAAG for korps marinir, I doubt it is going to be retained once an actual SPAAG is selected. As for MRAP we already got a good base on the proven platform of Thales Bushmaster/Sanca, don't see why we have to look anywhere else. The BMP-V kinda interesting though, this the IFV(H) based on T-64 if I'm not mistaken?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom