What's new

Indonesia Defence Forum

wtf , we should just dump the F-16 contract and go for this instead .
Hahaha highly unlikely it will happen even if you have the money. They will take us back to Vipers instead.
We are not even major allied non Nato. Right now all F-35 buyers are that or Nato members.

wtf , we should just dump the F-16 contract and go for this instead .
They are NATO we are not also we are not Non Nato major ally. Even saudi cant get f35.
(Pembuatnya aja ad yg ga make gara2 masalah internal lol :v)

Maybe wait 10 years later we can have this f35

So now we have at least 8 decommissioned ships ranging from Frigate, LST, Tanker, and LCU

More than enough for several SINKEX
KRI Teluk Bone is WW2 legend, better preserve them like kri pasopati or kri harimau.

So now we have at least 8 decommissioned ships ranging from Frigate, LST, Tanker, and LCU

More than enough for several SINKEX

LST from WW II should be donated toward Maritime museum, they are rare speciment even aboard. One of our ship like ex USS Presque isle LST 678 had gone all the way from Battle of Iwo jima, occupation of Japan home islands , part of Atomic bomb test on bikin island all the way until fighting in many islands in Indonesia during rebellion suppression era, supporting Dwikora operation, supporting landing group in Seroja operation, bringing back our boys from Timor during referendum, support landing during fighting in Aceh thats and Tsunami Aceh relieve operation, thats kind of achievement should made her as floating museum at least to preserve history!!!

They are NATO we are not also we are not Non Nato major ally. Even saudi cant get f35.
(Pembuatnya aja ad yg ga make gara2 masalah internal lol :v)
Hahaha highly unlikely it will happen even if you have the money. They will take us back to Vipers instead.
We are not even major allied non Nato. Right now all F-35 buyers are that or Nato members.
Check this out
https://wikileaks.org/plusd/cables/08JAKARTA325_a.html
IMG_20200128_124353.jpg

In a longer term, it is very likely for us to operate F35.

So, we're now number 15 on Caatsa list, as she said(Deputy V, Presidential Office Staff)

So, what's next? Su 35 continue or cancel? F-16V or Rafale?

Better wait for statement from Prabowo but I doubt we will pick Rafale since it will complicate our logistic issue just like mentioned by @Chestnut. Our Airforce itself has already picked F 16 V after considering so many aspects.

Despite so, I still doubt that we are going to buy F 16 V anyway since Jokowi repeatedly insist on curbing imported weapons. This is why even our new Defense Minister still doesnt say anything firm about F 16 V acquisition so far. The most rational way IMO is spending on naval assets first (2 OPV, 2 Frigates, 3 additional submarines). This acquisition is also planned to involve our defense industry greatly so it is inline with Jokowi policy on arm procurement. And for the Airforce fighter acquisition, we have to wait until KFX enter mass production phase IMO. And actually we also must spend 2 billion USD for its R&D until 2026, something that even Jokowi himself feel too much for it and wanting to renegotiate.

And talking about SU 35, I believe we will still buy it but IMO government still want to renegotiate the previous deal since many said the price is too high. The contract I believe will be signed when Putin visited Indonesia as plan. Sukhoi so far is still preferred due to its long range and heavy weight characteristic. We should still remember that many of our airspace violation are handled by our Sukhoi since it can cover huge area. With limited fighter assets and is combined with huge area to cover, having more Sukhoi seems to be quite rational. Not to mentioned its ability to carry Brahmos, a capability that we need, since our potential conflicts are at sea, whether in Ambalat or North Natuna Sea.

Last edited:
To counter trade imbalance during arms deal some countries usually practices counter trade deals involving concession of number restriction on some import list from original manufacturing country. One thing must be noted, Indonesia is almost to be put in negative list on US preferrential trade partner unless we bought something from them to alleviate their deficit in trade against us, Unfortunetaly with China, South Korean, Germany and Japan can almost supply all of our industrial materiel needs (in almost all sector) at cheaper prices, the only viable thing is to bought arms, spare parts in military equipments from US. Thats why Jokowi will never waiver the possibility to import arms from USA, unless he is ready to face US retaliation on other trade deals and thats means alot on our current account balance.

in my wild opinion,
since the president want to indonesia become independent in defence industry, IFX will be backbone for TNI-AU but from what i've read previously IFX get stumble because the US wont give us several key technology for the program, so what if the rafale selected to fill the ToT requirement for IFX, maybe ToT for RBE2 AA AESA radar or M88 engine for IFX in next phase?

cmiiw

in my wild opinion,
since the president want to indonesia become independent in defence industry, IFX will be backbone for TNI-AU but from what i've read previously IFX get stumble because the US wont give us several key technology for the program, so what if the rafale selected to fill the ToT requirement for IFX, maybe ToT for RBE2 AA AESA radar or M88 engine for IFX in next phase?

cmiiw

US attitude is clearly in the line of Wani Piro, they cant let South Korean who bought large number of arms and deals to let Indonesia to free hiking on their key technology transfer deal (US- south Korea) , they want Indonesia to engage them properly on negotiation table.

in my wild opinion,

cmiiw
Is the radar tech from US ? I thought it was from israeli Elta system .

in my wild opinion,

cmiiw

US doesnt give 4 core technologies but this problem have been solved and now Korean companies like Hanwa will try to provide those technologies with the help of European and Israel companies. Actually we dont know yet whether Korean product can be as good as American one. Actually, if not meeting Airforce standard, we and Korean can use European technologies instead. But so far, in term of current development result, the most difficult one which is developing AESA radar has been seen as quite satisfactory and we still have the time before those technologies are installed into the fighter in the mass production phase. InshaAllah.

Back
Top Bottom