What's new

Indonesia Defence Forum

Indonesia bolsters amphibious assault capabilities with two more landing ships

Ridzwan Rahmat, Singapore - Jane's Navy International
15 April 2019

p1649666_main.jpg

KRI Teluk Bintuni seen here during its sea trials. Indonesia has awarded a contract for an eighth and ninth vessel in the class. Source: PT Daya Radar Utama

Key Points

• Indonesia has acquired two more amphibious landing ships for its navy
• The vessels will improve the mobility of Indonesia's armoured vehicles, including its main battle tanks

Indonesia's Ministry of Defence has awarded an IDR360 billion (USD25.5 million) contract to supply the country's navy (Tentara Nasional Indonesia - Angkatan Laut: TNI-AL) with two more landing ship tanks (LSTs).

The contract was awarded to local shipbuilder Batam-based PT Bandar Abadi on 12 April. The vessels will be the eight and ninth in the Teluk Bintuni class overall and will be in service primarily as amphibious transports for the TNI's armoured vehicles.

The LSTs will largely inherit its main features from earlier vessels that are under construction at PT Dok & Perkapalan Kodja Baharai and PT Daya Radar Utama, although there will be slight variances to accommodate requests from the customer, said a PT Bandar Abadi official who spoke to Jane's on 15 April. These variances have yet to be finalised, he added.

The LST type has an overall length of 120 m, beam of 18 m, and a hull draught of 3 m. Powered by two 8,810-hp diesel engines, the vessel has a top speed of 16 kt and a standard range of 7,200 n miles (16,300 km) at 12 kt.

The LST can be equipped with up to two 40 mm naval gun systems on its foredeck and 12.7 mm machine guns at various locations throughout the vessel. It can carry and launch up to 15 BMP-3F infantry fighting vehicles via a roll-on/roll-off ramp at its bow, and deploy 10-tonne helicopter from its flight deck. The BMP-3Fs are currently operated by the Indonesian Marine Corps.

https://www.janes.com/article/87887/indones...e-landing-ships

Aerospace industry to me is very related toward defense matter no matter what

RI to establish task force for national aviation industry's blueprint
16th Apr 2019 19:01

IMG_20190416_144343.jpg

Jakarta (ANTARA) - Indonesia will establish a task force to put together a blueprint in its attempt to develop the nation's aviation industry.

"It is expected that the blueprint for developing the national aviation industry could be brought to the Aerosummit 2019," Secretary of the Indonesia Aeronautical Engineering Center (IAEC) Fadzar Vira Caryanto remarked at a focus group discussion on Pre-aerosummit 2019 in Jakarta on Tuesday.

The Agency for the Assessment and Application of Technology (BPPT) building was the venue of the meeting that reached a decision to set up a task force accountable for holding discussions pertaining to preparing a road map to spearhead the national aviation industry's development.

The National Institute of Aeronautics and Space (Lapan) cooperated with different professional national aviation associations in Indonesia, including the Aeronautical Engineering Center, Indonesian Aircraft Maintenance Services Association, and Indonesia Aircraft Component Manufacturer Association, for the discussion.

The task force will constitute governmental agencies and non-government institutions, inclusive of associations, industries, and institutes of higher learning.

During the initial days of its activities, Caryanto remarked that the task force will soon be lined up.

"The task force's presidium will conduct activities in its initial phase of operation," he revealed.

The blueprint will help align and transform the nation's aviation industry through driving development for the future, he stated.

Caryanto noted that the highs and lows witnessed by the aviation industry had resulted in some aviation engineers losing focus.

Hence, Caryanto highlighted the importance of issuing the blueprint for integrating all elements for driving the national aviation industry.

The IAEC secretary is optimistic that the task force will work promptly to accrue relevant materials and ideas for issuing the blueprint to develop the national aviation industry.

"We will soon hold a meeting for covering discussions on the blueprint to advance the national aviation industry that we will launch at the aerosummit," he remarked.

In line with the plan, the launch of the blueprint is set for September.

"We must strive hard since merely a few months are left before the aerosummit," he added.

Reporter: Martha Herlinawati S, Suharto

Editor: Rahmad Nasution

COPYRIGHT © ANTARA 2019

https://m.antaranews.com/en/news/12...rce-for-national-aviation-industrys-blueprint

Indonesia bolsters amphibious assault capabilities with two more landing ships

Ridzwan Rahmat, Singapore - Jane's Navy International
15 April 2019

p1649666_main.jpg

KRI Teluk Bintuni seen here during its sea trials. Indonesia has awarded a contract for an eighth and ninth vessel in the class. Source: PT Daya Radar Utama

Key Points

• Indonesia has acquired two more amphibious landing ships for its navy
• The vessels will improve the mobility of Indonesia's armoured vehicles, including its main battle tanks

Indonesia's Ministry of Defence has awarded an IDR360 billion (USD25.5 million) contract to supply the country's navy (Tentara Nasional Indonesia - Angkatan Laut: TNI-AL) with two more landing ship tanks (LSTs).

The contract was awarded to local shipbuilder Batam-based PT Bandar Abadi on 12 April. The vessels will be the eight and ninth in the Teluk Bintuni class overall and will be in service primarily as amphibious transports for the TNI's armoured vehicles.

The LSTs will largely inherit its main features from earlier vessels that are under construction at PT Dok & Perkapalan Kodja Baharai and PT Daya Radar Utama, although there will be slight variances to accommodate requests from the customer, said a PT Bandar Abadi official who spoke to Jane's on 15 April. These variances have yet to be finalised, he added.

The LST type has an overall length of 120 m, beam of 18 m, and a hull draught of 3 m. Powered by two 8,810-hp diesel engines, the vessel has a top speed of 16 kt and a standard range of 7,200 n miles (16,300 km) at 12 kt.

The LST can be equipped with up to two 40 mm naval gun systems on its foredeck and 12.7 mm machine guns at various locations throughout the vessel. It can carry and launch up to 15 BMP-3F infantry fighting vehicles via a roll-on/roll-off ramp at its bow, and deploy 10-tonne helicopter from its flight deck. The BMP-3Fs are currently operated by the Indonesian Marine Corps.

https://www.janes.com/article/87887/indones...e-landing-ships
will you build for us ? :ashamed:

will you build for us ? :ashamed:

As long as you ordered it, we got Indonesia exim bank for export lending facility to finance military equipment export, ghana Air force use that when they bought several CN 235 from us

US Sanctions should Not Affect the Deliveries of Su-35 Fighter Jets

17 April 2019

Su-35 of the PLAAF (photo : sina)

Russia completes deliveries of Su-35 fighter jets to China

MOSCOW /TASS/. Russia has completed the deliveries of Sukhoi Su-35 generation 4++ fighter jets to China under a contract signed earlier, Russia’s Federal Service for Military and Technical Cooperation told TASS on Tuesday.

"In compliance with the contract, all the Su-35 planes have been delivered to the foreign customer," the Federal Service said.

China has been the first foreign buyer of Russian Su-35 fighter aircraft. The contract worth about $2.5 billion on the deliveries of 24 fighter jets to China was signed in 2015. The contract also stipulates the delivery of ground equipment and reserve engines.

Indonesia is the second foreign buyer of Russian Su-35 fighter jets. Reports emerged in early 2018 that Russia had signed a contract with Indonesia on the delivery of 11 fighters. Under the contract, Russia is due to deliver the first fighter jets to Indonesia this year. The fulfillment of the Indonesian contract ran across some difficulties related to US sanctions but a TASS source in military and diplomatic circles said these difficulties "are not critical" and should not affect the deliveries of fighter jets.

The Su-35S generation 4++ supersonic fighter jet performed its debut flight on February 19, 2008. The fighter jet is a derivative of the Su-27 plane. The Su-35S weighs 19 tonnes, has a service ceiling of 20,000 meters, can develop a maximum speed of 2,500 km/h and has a crew of one pilot. The fighter jet’s armament includes a 30mm aircraft gun, up to 8 tonnes of the weapon payload (missiles and bombs of various types) on 12 underwing hardpoints. The Su-35S has been in service with the Russian Army since 2015.

(TASS)

I'm currently making the list of TNI/POLRI casualties in Papua since Nduga Massacre (early December 2018). From the data that I collected, most TNI/POLRI were hit in arms, thighs or shoulders, area which not covered by body armor.

So I think that there is an improvement of SoP and equipment for TNI/POLRI soldiers serving in Papua especially in regards of the use of body armor and helmet.

But I'm still curious, why TNI/POLRI still mainly use standard civilian pickup in their operation, I actually never saw Anoa, Komodo or other armored vehicle used by TNI/POLRI in Papua. Not to mention that there are already improvement in road infrastructure in this hostile environment

Last edited:
I'm currently making the list of TNI/POLRI casualties in Papua since Nduga Massacre (early December 2018). From the data that I collected, most TNI/POLRI were hit in arms, thighs or shoulders, area which not covered by body armor.

So I think that there is an improvement of SoP and equipment for TNI/POLRI soldiers serving in Papua regarding the use of body armor and helmet.

But I'm still curious, why TNI/POLRI still mainly use standard civilian pickup in their operation, I actually never saw Anoa, Komodo or other armored vehicle used by TNI/POLRI in Papua. Not to mention that there are already improvement in road infrastructure in this hostile environment
Catch 22. For both points.

1.) You can give infantry more armor. But it will hinder their movements, especially considering the environment they are in.
2.) Armored vehicles can arguably get the jobs done faster. But don't forget Human Rights accusations are waiting around the corner, since OPM isn't considered as insurgents in their eyes.

So I think that there is an improvement of SoP and equipment for TNI/POLRI soldiers serving in Papua especially in regards of the use of body armor and helmet.

Armored vehicle mainly deployed near cities and border areas, deep patrol in jungle and mountain must be done by foot but most likely they will be in alert by doing so and most shooting case is like ambush cases in which i am suspecting locals must be involved with the offender. Humanitarian approach by stick and carrot, building infrastructure needed by locals providing them jobs , put more imigran at conflict places by offering them more incentive and at the same time taking surveillance against them is just like emptying the pond to let the fish suffocating is right choice to defeat them in long term.

Catch 22. For both points.

1.) You can give infantry more armor. But it will hinder their movements, especially considering the environment they are in.
2.) Armored vehicles can arguably get the jobs done faster. But don't forget Human Rights accusations are waiting around the corner, since OPM isn't considered as insurgents in their eyes.

1. Yes, I Know, perhaps most of the attack/ambush happened in woods, not open area/roads. But at least armored vehicle will significantly improved our soldiers safety in open area.

2. Hmm, I will laugh if those HR activist bragging about the use of 'simple' weapon system like light armored vehicle as HR violation (perhaps they will go crazy if TNI use PGM). But yeah, if it really becomes the government's concern, just send Anoa/Komodo with .50 cal as its maximum weapon

Dont forget, Indonesia facing much more hostilities when pacifying Maluku (RMS) and remnants of NII in southern area of western Java but we prevailed in the end. Papua with less population, less education standard compared to heavily influenced by Dutch Maluku or Islamic oriented society of West Java and most of them aphaty toward politics should be much easier than those places

Back
Top Bottom