What's new

Indonesia confirms 129 new COVID-19 cases and 8 more deaths [total 122]

Hamartia Antidote

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
United States
https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asia/indonesia-covid-19-coronavirus-deaths-jokowi-12589782

Indonesia confirmed 129 new COVID-19 cases on Monday (Mar 30), taking the total to 1,414 in the country.

There were also eight more deaths, taking the total to 122, said health ministry official Achmad Yurianto. He added that 75 patients had recovered.

Indonesian President Joko Widodo said earlier on Monday that he plans to impose stricter limits on mobility between regions and also to implement a large-scale policy of social distancing to help curb the spread of coronavirus.

"In implementing the policy of large scale social distancing, I ask that a regulation is prepared for clear guidance for provincial level governments," the president said at the opening of a cabinet meeting.

Presidential spokesman Fadjroel Rachman said via Twitter that Mr Widodo was embarking on "a new stage of war against COVID-19, which is large scale social distancing with health quarantines".

This comes as Indonesia's government faces increasing calls to tighten restrictions on movement, with the number of deaths due to COVID-19 rising.

A hashtag, translated as #LockdownOrDie, trended on social media on Sunday afternoon, while politicians, doctors and rights leaders all urged stricter action, especially in the capital Jakarta.

Indonesia's National Commission on Human Rights, a government body, wants a regional quarantine in areas categorised as "red zones" due to high health risks.

Of major concern is whether the virus will spread during the "mudik" when millions of Indonesians traditionally leave cities for hometowns after the Muslim fasting month of Ramadan in May.

@Indos

As long as Indonesia practices strict social distancing, the hot and humid conditions of Indonesia should suffice to keep Covid-19 in check.
Covid-19 medical facilities need also to be ramped up.

@Indos

As long as Indonesia practices strict social distancing, the hot and humid conditions of Indonesia should suffice to keep Covid-19 in check.
Covid-19 medical facilities need also to be ramped up.

I hope so, but since January, Jakarta, which is the corona epicenter in Indonesia has cool weather due to rain and cloudy sky. Just Today afternoon we have rain in the city. I hope after rainy season is over, the virus spreading will be much slower and hopefully stopped.

I hope so, but since January, Jakarta, which is the corona epicenter in Indonesia has cool weather due to rain and cloudy sky. Just Today afternoon we have rain in the city. I hope after rainy season is over, the virus spreading will be much slower.

Latest research gives empirical evidence that hot and humid are conditions that Covid-19 does not particularly like.

I am convinced that the outbreak would have been way worse in Indonesia and BD if they were not subtropical/tropical countries.

Latest research gives empirical evidence that hot and humid are conditions that Covid-19 does not particularly like.

I am convinced that the outbreak would have been way worse in Indonesia and BD if they were not subtropical/tropical countries.

Yup, it is likely like that. Our researcher who has researched coronavirus also say thing like that. Most of Indonesians, including in Jakarta, are also living in house, not apartment like in New Yorker, Italian, or Wuhan. As long as Jakartan keep working from home, there is hope that we can contain the virus.

Back
Top Bottom