What's new

India's weak atomic watchdog poses 'grave risks'

truthseer

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
India's nuclear energy regulator is weak and lacks independence which poses "grave risks" to the country, the national auditor warned on Thursday in a report.
The Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) said it had analysed the performance of the Atomic Energy Regulatory Board (AERB) in light of the expansion of nuclear power in energy-starved India.
It warned that the organisation was effectively a "subordinate office" to the central government and had no powers to make rules, monitor safety at nuclear power plants or enforce standards.
"Failure to have an autonomous and empowered regulator is fraught with grave risks," the CAG concluded in its report, pointing to the lessons learned from the Fukushima disaster in Japan last year.
It added: "There is an urgent need for the government to bolster the status of AERB if it is to qualify as an independent regulator in a sector which is likely to become increasingly important."
Responsibility for monitoring exposure to radioactive substances at nuclear power plants lay with the operators not the AERB, and the regulator had no power to put in place emergency procedures, the CAG said.
Neither did it have any oversight of the decommissioning process for nuclear power plants, for which there is "no legislative framework", and it had no way of confirming that radioactive waste was disposed of safely.
India is heavily dependent on coal and produces less than three percent of its energy from its existing atomic plants. The government hopes to raise the figure to 25 percent by 2050.
In the most recent accident at a nuclear plant, more than 40 workers at the Rajasthan Atomic Power Station in northern India were exposed to tritium radiation in June and July, although none of them was seriously harmed.
The CAG also highlighted the AERB's lax monitoring of other radiation centres, including medical X-ray facilities or other industrial centres using radioactive substances.
In April 2010, a machine from Delhi University containing cobalt-60, a radioactive metal used for radiotherapy in hospitals, ended up in a scrapyard in the city. It killed a worker and led seven other to be hospitalised.
"Around 91 percent of the medical X-ray facilities in the country had not been registered with AERB and as such were out of its regulatory control," the report said.

Read more: India's weak atomic watchdog poses 'grave risks' - NY Daily News | NewsCred SmartWire

Hope nothing happens :chilli:

#Twitter #Endian

I sometimes tweet my posts :chilli:

I cannot give you the hashtag i use . I would be sent to Afbanistan . Plus Endian Hashtags are mostly related to Microprocessors ( Big Endian and Little Endian families) and also to a Unified Threat Management company which goes by the name of Endian . So it shows your Absolute Panache of Stupidity . Try a better term and best of Luck with your tweeting .

I cannot give you the hashtag i use . I would be sent to Afbanistan . Plus Endian Hashtags are mostly related to Microprocessors ( Big Endian and Little Endian families) and also to a Unified Threat Management company which goes by the name of Endian . So it shows your Absolute Panache of Stupidity . Try a better term and best of Luck with your tweeting .

...His tweets are out of tone...will resort to barking soon...:azn:

The fact is this issue was brought up by an INTERNAL/Indian audit and as such you can expect measures to be taken. As it stands India has one of the safest and cleanest nuclear operation history of any nation. This is proven by the number of nations willing to trade nuclear tech with India and the NSG waiver.

Ohhh watch dog is sleeping extreme grave risks :azn:
India’s nuclear energy regulator is weak and lacks independence which poses grave risks to the country and every one organisation is effectively a subordinate office to the central government and had no powers to make rules, monitor safety at nuclear power plants or enforce standards.pointing to the lessons learned from the Fukushima disaster in Japan last year.Responsibility for monitoring exposure to radioactive substances at nuclear power plants lay with the operators not the AERB, and the regulator had no power to put in place emergency procedures,India is heavily dependent on coal and produces less than three percent of its energy from its existing atomic plants. The government hopes to raise the figure to 25 per cent by 2050.In the most recent accident at a nuclear plant, more than 40 workers at the Rajasthan Atomic Power Station in northern India were exposed to tritium radiation many of them were harmed serious action required by USA - UK, China to handle this serious problem.

Ohhh watch dog is sleeping extreme grave risks :azn:
India’s nuclear energy regulator is weak and lacks independence which poses grave risks to the country and every one organisation is effectively a subordinate office to the central government and had no powers to make rules, monitor safety at nuclear power plants or enforce standards.pointing to the lessons learned from the Fukushima disaster in Japan last year.Responsibility for monitoring exposure to radioactive substances at nuclear power plants lay with the operators not the AERB, and the regulator had no power to put in place emergency procedures,India is heavily dependent on coal and produces less than three percent of its energy from its existing atomic plants. The government hopes to raise the figure to 25 per cent by 2050.In the most recent accident at a nuclear plant, more than 40 workers at the Rajasthan Atomic Power Station in northern India were exposed to tritium radiation many of them were harmed serious action required by USA - UK, China to handle this serious problem.

:coffee:

Dont worry, most people around here have good eyes, no need to oversize everything.

The fact is this issue was brought up by an INTERNAL/Indian audit and as such you can expect measures to be taken. As it stands India has one of the safest and cleanest nuclear operation history of any nation. This is proven by the number of nations willing to trade nuclear tech with India and the NSG waiver.

You know I could rip this statement to shreds but I won;t. I don;t want to give our enemies any ammo. Anyway, like i have stated before. As we develop nuclear reactors put aside a high percentage towards green energy projects. At the same time devote more fund to reseaching the what the industralized nations are working on or what they think has the most potential instead of being behind the curve.

thats what u think.

They want to help u so that tomorrow u can stand for them against Mighty Red Dragon's Economy n development.Thats why they r just supporting u for the time being only, but in the future:lol: yr same friends will be the first one to stab at yr backs like they r doing to us.

Nation which has outstanding record of non-proliferation till now, after its first Nuclear test in 1974, world is not worried.

This was the reason given by Australia too. Well US, Australia, France, Russia all are ready to give us nuclear tech. After all its about profits and trust. Well they trust India more than other nations. :D

Back
Top Bottom