What's new

India's UCAV To Fly In 2015, Says DRDO. High Hopes?

dying to see the UCAV model..any idea guys about its specs???

about the design then i am sure it is almost done and testing for certification going on.
Yeah, i thought it was written in the article...

engine is an off the shelf product. i am sure soon drdo will decide to go for foreign engine even for this plane. there is simply not enough time to build a plane as well as an engine.
Even if it is purchased from outside, it still needs to be integrated into the UCAV and then UCAV should fly and land without any accidents....At such a fast speed, it will be difficult. As far as drdo giving up on engine, right its only known that a version of Kaveri will be made for UCAV. If its ready on time then it will be used or else we will go for a foreign vendor.

Yeah, i thought it was written in the article...

Even if it is purchased from outside, it still needs to be integrated into the UCAV and then UCAV should fly and land without any accidents....At such a fast speed, it will be difficult. As far as drdo giving up on engine, right its only known that a version of Kaveri will be made for UCAV. If its ready on time then it will be used or else we will go for a foreign vendor.

yupp an indegeneous engine on an indegeneous plane would be something to be extremely proud of. india is yet too see that day.

engine is an off the shelf product. i am sure soon drdo will decide to go for foreign engine even for this plane. there is simply not enough time to build a plane as well as an engine.
about the design then i am sure it is almost done and testing for certification going on.

after seeing that saras took flight in 20 months and lch in 24 months, it is clear that india is extremely quick in building prototypes, but they remain prototypes for forever after. i hope this one sees the day of light soon.

LCH will get its FOC by next year,no need to worry about,all its weapons are being tested on board HAL ALH MkIV Rudra.

Did you even read what I post bro ??? And where the hell I said I am not happy ???
ICBM didn't come in 4 years. It is result of all past success.
Only thing I am not happy is DRDO being Big Mouthed.
Kindly read before quote :)

Big mouth you have mentioned already and I have read your post once and I understood your intention. DRDO is one of the best tech agencies in the world. They spend fraction of money spent by a western company for r&d projects.

So it is normal that they are big mouth as their works also big. lol

You know very less about the working areas and achievement of DRDO, so kindly read that first.

yupp an indegeneous engine on an indegeneous plane would be something to be extremely proud of. india is yet too see that day.

Kaveri is ready but the problem integrating with Teajs was it did not have enough power to meet IAF requirements. But that is more than enough to fly AURA. So it will be an Indian UCAV with Indian engine.

GTRE_UAV_mini_turbine.JPG

ucav engine in development

Kaveri is ready but the problem integrating with Teajs was it did not have enough power to meet IAF requirements. But that is more than enough to fly AURA. So it will be an Indian UCAV with Indian engine.

hows that considering that aura is 15 tonne loaded with weapons. even 2 kaveris wont be enough, it would have to go massive changes.

It looks a little bit small for AURA. If Rustam 2 is to be powered by a turbofan, like US avenger, then this engine might be useful but for AURA, i think its heavier. If this is the engine then i hope their power is sufficient.

UCAV according to sources will be powered by powerful turbofan atleast 40 KN of power and will be alot heavier than our normal MALE UAVs. Take off and landing for the UAV of this size and which has such a powerful engine will be a big problem.

source for this 40KN information?

Weapon testing can even be started this year on Rustam-1 (If drdo wants).

Do some research before making such knee-jerk comments here. Rustom-1 doesn't have payloads, so one can't test weapons on it.

Secondly, even if DRDO proved some basic capability of weapon delivery on Rustom-2, IAF will reject it because they want everything in league of foreign weapon makers whose technology base is 3 decades ahead of DRDO and anything below is rejected outright. So, don't make such stupid rehtorics here of "if DRDO wants". DRDO has always delivered best of what's available locally with pess-poor funds, but IAF has always went for foreign options and killed many good R&D programs(LCA, Arjun blunders are well known) & still repeating same mistake.

source for this 40KN information?
No source, i just speculated...I mean if its like Dassault neuron then it will weigh around 6000-6500 kg and maximum speed of mach 0.8...French will be using a version of M88 [Maximum thrust: 50 kN (11,250 lbf) dry, 75 kN (16,900 lbf) wet (afterburning)]...I just gave a round figure...

Do some research before making such knee-jerk comments here. Rustom-1 doesn't have payloads, so one can't test weapons on it.
Rustam-1 latest flight were done with gimbal payload assembly carrying daylight TV & Infra-Red camera and Good quality pictures were received from the camera in gimbal payload assembly.....

And UAVs without payloads are just large toys...

---------------------------
As far as weapon testing on Rustam-1 goes It doesn't have hardpoints but little modification can solve our problem, bigger problem will weapon testing although in case of UCAV like AURA, its not the biggest problem. Biggest problems are what i have mentioned.

Rutan.long-EZ.g-wily.arp.jpg

Secondly, even if DRDO proved some basic capability of weapon delivery on Rustom-2, IAF will reject it because they want everything in league of foreign weapon makers whose technology base is 3 decades ahead of DRDO and anything below is rejected outright. So, don't make such stupid rehtorics here of "if DRDO wants". DRDO has always delivered best of what's available locally with pess-poor funds, but IAF has always went for foreign options and killed many good R&D programs(LCA, Arjun blunders are well known) & still repeating same mistake.
Calm down buddy....weapon releasing technology will be the same in both of the aircrafts but the delivery of PGMs is what matters which will go under software portion and thats what i said is in abundance in UCAV. Now everything will be done with codes which was earlier done manually.
As far as lca is concerned...40 mk1 are on order and 100+ mk2 will be ordered. IN placed order for 6 mk1 with the requirement of another 60 (mk2 version). I hardly call it a failure my friend.
Firstly arjun has nothing to do with IAF secondly just like in tejas alot of things went wrong in arjun project also but the project is not a failure. Number built till now is 170. 248 mk1 and 248 mk2 are on order. If a couple more hundred mk2 will be on order, arjun will be a huge success (as far as speculation are going on the number of order will 500).

Until IAF says no to anything i would just say be optimistic...infact in this case (AURA UCAV) i don't see IAF has any choice as nobody is going to give us UCAVs, we will have to make on our own...So the best option for IAF is to cooperate fully with DRDO, HAL and NAL (whoever is involved). I bet a proper ASR will be issued for both AMCA, AURA and Rustam projects by IAF and that too at proper time...

The biggest example of IAF-drdo collaboration is the AWACS program. Everything is going as per plan....

hows that considering that aura is 15 tonne loaded with weapons. even 2 kaveris wont be enough, it would have to go massive changes.

more power engine required to give high power, I think 52KN is enough to carry current generation UCAV.

Big mouth you have mentioned already and I have read your post once and I understood your intention. DRDO is one of the best tech agencies in the world. They spend fraction of money spent by a western company for r&d projects.

So it is normal that they are big mouth as their works also big. lol

You know very less about the working areas and achievement of DRDO, so kindly read that first.

I post 3/4 posts about Big mouthing. I agree. But I think you get my intentions on wrong side. I never doubt on DRDOs capacities. But is it really necessary to tell the media all that things in this much advance ??? A5 is a success. DRDO talk about it. No probs. they achieved it. But look at the other interviews Mr. Saraswat given to media. No doubt he is one of the greatest scientists DRDO have. But talking about upcoming research has no point.
Look at K series development. I think it's the best way for DRDO and India. Tell people the things they needed. Not more not less. :)
Ok I am not export on DRDO and you might know more than me about DRDO. So as usual we agree to disagree :)

On Kaveri - was "the lower power" only issue with Kaveri's adoption in LCA ??? I read somewhere it was overweight too. Correct me if I am wrong :)

We dont even have a proper propeller driven UAV and we dream of having a jet powered stealth UCAV in 3 years? What was this guy smoking when he wrote this?

Why do I see a Cyrillic'G' om those markings?

Back
Top Bottom