What's new

India's top court 'shocked' by Pakistanis in jail

outstream

Reaction score
NEW DELHI: India’s Supreme Court expressed shock on Friday that more than 250 Pakistanis were being held in Indian jails without ever having faced trial, with at least one behind bars since 1965.
The court, hearing a public interest case filed by a member of the public, ordered the central government to file a comprehensive report explaining the detentions.
“It’s shocking that over 254 Pakistani nationals are languishing in jails without a trial,” said Supreme Court judge R.N. Lodha.
The inmates are being held in the north-western state of Jammu and Kashmir, with many thought to be people arrested after unwittingly crossing the disputed border in the area, the court heard. Four are women.
It is thought that there may be inmates held without trial in other states too.
The prime ministers of India and Pakistan said Thursday they expected to open a “new chapter” in their fractious relationship after talks at a regional summit in the Maldives.
The countries have fought three wars since independence in 1947.

India’s top court ‘shocked’ by Pakistanis in jail – The Express Tribune

Very distressing to here someone has been in prison since 1965. The person has had his life taken and not even put on trial. I hope our nation does all it can to sort it out. Very shameful for their judiciary system.

Very distressing to here someone has been in prison since 1965. The person has had his life taken and not even put on trial. I hope our nation does all it can to sort it out. Very shameful for their judiciary system.

Yes it is regretful. But I don't think it is Pakistan specific. I know a person who served almost 50 years for a petty crime because his judgment was delayed. I think it was last year that govt mandated that who ever served more than 2 years for smaller crimes to be released without trail.

i hope now the Indian Supreme court will take the action and free all the Pakistanis who are illegally arrested and put in jails

Yes it is regretful. But I don't think it is Pakistan specific. I know a person who served almost 50 years for a petty crime because his judgment was delayed. I think it was last year that govt mandated that who ever served more than 2 years for smaller crimes to be released without trail.

To be frank yaar it doesn't matter what nation they are from - it has to be questioned and looked into. Their nationality isnt important. Their human rights are more important

The good thing is there are people concerned for those prisoner and there attempts bring the issue into limelight.

I can assure all pakistanis that indian supreme court is highly independant and competent body and justice would be delivered to all very soon.

There are many loophole in Indian Judiciary. Hope these innocent people will be set free. Curtsy India's transparent democracy this thing was out. What about brave Indian soldier who are still ******* in Pakistani jails since 1971?

There are many loophole in Indian Judiciary. Hope these innocent people will be set free. Curtsy India's transparent democracy this thing was out. What about brave Indian soldier who are still ******* in Pakistani jails since 1971?
what about 65 war soldiers in Indian jails ....... 1 is released in few years back (year=200? not remembered now)
i think exchange of prisoners mechanism should be more efficient on both sides

The good thing is there are people concerned for those prisoner and there attempts bring the issue into limelight.

I can assure all pakistanis that indian supreme court is highly independant and competent body and justice would be delivered to all very soon.

Agreed. I am sure Indian supreme court will go swift on this.

Nonetheless, I`m glad they`ve taken up this issue and will be following it.

Some NGOs should start working on this regard to free innocents in our Jail. I hope soon some stats will come out with some RTI application and indian govt acts on it ASAP.

Shocked???

Haye re supreme court teri masoomiyat.

Back
Top Bottom