India’s Quest for American Avenger Drones

INDIAPOSITIVE

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
SOURCE: VISHAL KARPE / FOR MY TAKE / IDRW.ORG

162bb18e30925fcfaef3319e153d9cfe.jpg

India in last few months has been sending feelers in American Political and diplomatic circles on its interest to acquire jet-powered General Atomics developed Unmanned combat capable Predator C aka Avengers drones and as per recent media reports India has officially has asked the United States to export 100 armed Predator C Avengers to India .

General Atomics Avenger is Stealthy unmanned combat air vehicle powered by a turbofan engine which features reduced radar and heat signature also comes with other features such as internal weapons storage, Six external hard points,Triple-redundant avionics,also has on board avionics like Synthetic Aperture Radar and AESA Sensors and can perform wide-area surveillance, time-sensitive strike missions over land or sea, and a host of other challenging military missions.

In Short Avenger UCAV is not a weapon system ideally will be used to take out Terrorist or Maoists hideouts within its own territory but more of a weapon system which can be used to carry out sneaky cross-border raids on Terrorist camps or infrastructure while avoiding detection by enemy radars to ensure survivability of the drone in a contested environment.

India has made its intention pretty clear to United states that Stealthy Avenger UCAV if supplied to India will lead the first wave of Cross-border raids against Terrorist camps/infrastructures and also might be used to take out enemy air defence systems or deep targets in the event of full-scale war.

U.S. government late last year cleared General Atomics’ proposal to market the unarmed Predator XP drones to India and has a first step plans to acquire nearly 40 drones for surveillance and monitoring of its border areas and coastlines for its Air force and Navy . Even though India already has in its possession few hundred of Israeli supplied drones order for unarmed Predator XP drones by India is seen as first steps in acquiring Avengers in a long term .

India will also be taking deliveries of 10 armed Heron TP drones from Israel this year and is also investing in the development of Armed variant of Rustom-2 HALE Class UCAV in near future . DRDO also plans to develop its own stealth combat drones or UCAVs (unmanned combat aerial vehicles), which will be capable of firing missiles and precision-guided munitions at enemy targets and possession of Avengers UCAV with India might allow its engineers to get a better understanding of Jet powered UCAVS.

General Atomics developed Avenger UCAVs is yet to be ordered by US Military and according to media reports Pentagon has acquired only one drone for Internal testing and evaluation purpose but still has not made up its mind whether it will be placing orders for the drone yet and on other hand officials from General Atomics have been pressuring Americans State Department officials to let it pursue India’s Interest in acquiring Avenger UCAVs which will help them crack first sales orders for its Avenger UCAVs which officials believe might eventually lead to bigger orders from US Military and its allies .

But now the question remain will United states will be keen on supplying such offensive weapons system to India which can start a nuclear conflict in the region ? an offensive weapons systems which both Pakistan and China will object to ? to that Americans should come out of their ostrich-like attitude adopted by them on export of its drone technology to its allies since they don’t find anything wrong in supply of Apache Gunships or their desire to supply India with American jets then they should also not have problem with supply of Armed Drones to India.

http://idrw.org/indias-quest-for-american-avenger-drones/

Use it against Pakistan. They will get confused whether it is american or India :D
And in this confusion Pakistan nuke India :lol:
Write it with blood...US will never sell these drons to India, they are fools to change the balance of power in this subcontinent which may resulted in a nuclear war. They don't care Pakistan much but India and they don't want that India loose military and economic power against China in avoidable war.
@GURU DUTT

Write it with blood...US will never sell these drons to India, they are fools to change the balance of power in this subcontinent which may resulted in a nuclear war. They don't care Pakistan much but India and they don't want that India loose military and economic power against China in avoidable war.
@GURU DUTT
well let me tell you there are telks already going on for this for last one year or say even more and USA in principal has greed and for that its congress voted to give equal status as those given to NATO nations ... rest keep speculating :coffee:

US will never sell these drons to India, they are fools to change the balance of power in this subcontinent which may resulted in a nuclear war.

We've always had serious misgivings about selling armed UAVs, even to allied nations like France and Italy, India's important as a tool in our geopolitical shed, but an aircraft like the Avenger with a long-range and large payload is the kind of system the US prefers not to be proliferating.

If sold, I doubt the Avenger India would receive would have the option of being armed.

Le-drone-Predator-avenger-C1.jpg

We're also very stingy with our sales of advanced ISR equipment, but would be more willing to stuff the internal bay with such then weapons. India would get to pick its pods, we've no desire to sell our top-end surveillance gear to anyone.

Realistically, the US would be more keen on selling India the MQ-4 as it's a long-range ISR platform tailor made for keeping an eye on Chinese movements, which is a concern of ours that India could help with.

1200046855.jpg

0818FDL46544.jpg

India gets its UAV for maritime recon, one that synergizes with its P-8I, we get a share of the intelligence data.

If we're selling India a UAV for keeping tabs on Pakistan, the likelihood of it being a Reaper variant is greater (even an armed version would be in the works).

GENERAL+ATOMICS+REAPER.jpg

The US had an issue selling India ISR gear for its P-8Is and for its C-130s, so I'm not confident we'd offer them systems like Gorgon Stare either.

Gorgon-Stare-II.jpg

They'll be sourcing from a European or domestic supplier instead.

Avenger isn't DQ'd from the start, but it does run into issues with red-lines the US doesn't like to cross (that it's armed would be the biggest sticking point). Armed drones, even with India's admissions into the MTCR, aren't items the US likes to proliferate. At present, the US has cleared India's procurement of Predator XP - an unarmed UAV.

preduas%20flight%20012_for_review.jpg

And though it could be a foot-in-the-door approach to selling UAVs to India, it still shows the US isn't yet ready to offer India anything too qualitative.

Last edited:
They still say no even you offer double the price.

Ok lets see.
And what happened to Rafale deal, then F-16IN and now Grippen OK leave it all...Kindly update me on Tejas alone. ooh well wait Kindly let me know about Arjun Tank and home made Rustom i & ii Ok leave it list is so long i need full day to remind you DRDO's sucKSess stories:lol:
well we indians have a thing called beurocracy which takes its own sweet time and since no government can terminate there services they can be only tranferred hence they act like gods very recentlly some 34 top beurocrats were orderred to take early retirement deu to there scuttling very important deals but thats another issue new deals are worked out and new procurement policy has also come into effect results will start emerging by the end of this financial years third quater

well we indians have a thing called beurocracy which takes its own sweet time and since no government can terminate there services they can be only tranferred hence they act like gods very recentlly some 34 top beurocrats were orderred to take early retirement deu to there scuttling very important deals but thats another issue new deals are worked out and new procurement policy has also come into effect results will start emerging by the end of this financial years third quater
OK and sorry for my harsh reply i just wanted to be little funny.

@GURU DUTT
Man the very second post by a Pakistani member and it went to NUKEs.

OK and sorry for my harsh reply i just wanted to be little funny.
point is India got the cash and the rerquirement for such drones and USA is in no mood to let go this opportunity again to israel and possibally france hence its congress has pased the bill so india can get all what it wants and helped india get into a select group recently

and do you think all this became possible over night ? there are many things which we only discuss when something is visible and thats just tip of the ice berg

in short there are more than three types of UAVs and UCAVs india is going to buy from USA

Last edited:

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom