What's new

India's Nuclear Agreement

Now this is way to much, its practically giving India a freecard to do whatever she wants with nuclear ToT.
No NSG other than USA will fall for that.

The argument from the Indian side is that the respective countries can have bilateral arrangements with India or laws of their own which can terminate nuclear trade if India tests. But there is no need for such a clause to be put in the NSG draft.

In the original tekst nuclear test is a void, thats what the agreement is based on.

A hypothetical question just out of curiosity. What if India decides to test another nuke to collect new data and Pakistan follows suit. Will there be sanctions for both or just Pakistan??

A hypothetical question just out of curiosity. What if India decides to test another nuke to collect new data and Pakistan follows suit. Will there be sanctions for both or just Pakistan??

Its a very difficult question to answer but in another hypothetical scenario If pakistan really serious to block the Indo-US nuke deal then it should go for another test and that will definetely put some pressure on the GOI to go for the same and if she goes for it then it will surly jeopardise the N deal.

Last edited:
What are the alternatives incase the NSG vote goes against India? Will you accelerate the throium based FBR programme?

Neo, I for once heard in TV an expert talking about how nuke deal by itself will help India proceed into Thorium era around 2030 -2040. He was talking about how we require neutrons or some particals to fully implement FBR and for this purpose the nuclear reactors constructed with the help of nuclear deal will form an imortant part of the cycle which will next proceed to FBR. I am nop expert in this and I may be way off the mark, correct me if I am wrong.

IPF

Its a very difficult question to answer but in another hypothetical scenario If pakistan really serious to block the Indo-US nuke deal then it should go for another test and that will definetely put some pressure on the GOI to go for the same and if she goes for it then it will surly jeopardise the N deal.

Thats exactly what's on my mind but I do want this deal to go thru and honestly I think GoP wants the same for the obvious reasons.
If we had serious intentions to block the deal now would be the time since the deal is just days away from getting finalised. :coffee:

Neo, I for once heard in TV an expert talking about how nuke deal by itself will help India proceed into Thorium era around 2030 -2040. He was talking about how we require neutrons or some particals to fully implement FBR and for this purpose the nuclear reactors constructed with the help of nuclear deal will form an imortant part of the cycle which will next proceed to FBR. I am nop expert in this and I may be way off the mark, correct me if I am wrong.

IPF

Thanks IPF, I'm aware of the current status of Thorium based nuclear technology, Joey and I discussed it in lenghts and it indeed it won't become viable in atleast another two decades.

I agree with Malay though, the experimental FBR will go critical in few years, you can't speed up the research but you can certainly extend the infrastructure and pour in more funds for better and faster results.

He he he good one but the problem is India does not follow "me too" policy so such step could boomerang.

He he he good one but the problem is India does not follow "me too" policy so such step could boomerang.

sure....but do you really think that GOI wont take that step..... considering the fact that this is an election year it would be a political suicide for the GOI to go against the public sentiment.

Cheap shot, doesn't really suit you. :disagree:
Let me assure you that you'd be singing a different song if Pakistan was offered the deal before you.

sure....but do you really think that GOI wont take that step..... considering the fact that this is an election year it would be a political suicide for the GOI to go against the public sentiment.

No never even though this is an election year. Indian politicians are quite matured at least in terms of foreign policies.
BJP went ahead with tests to prove the point but now nothing is to be gained with the tests it will be political suicide.

No never even though this is an election year. Indian politicians are quite matured at least in terms of foreign policies.
BJP went ahead with tests to prove the point but now nothing is to be gained with the tests it will be political suicide.

politicians are mature but not all the people in India ........ most of them will vote by just going with the general sentiment around them. and as far as the BJP is concerned they will do anything to tople the UPA.

Last edited:

Well dear i think we can not block the deal in the first place.

And above all its not Pakistan rather US own people are showing concern over it for reason that it would give right to others too to get away with that specially Iran.

Let me assure you that you'd be singing a different song if Pakistan was offered the deal before you.
Its not something that was just offered out of thin air mate. Its not as if that US is offering us this as a gift, and it could have been Pakistan instead.

Its that we are short on energy, and we have the money to buy plenty of reactors. US companies are set to gain from this commercial transactions -in billions not millions of dollars. If Pakistan had the market and and the money on an equivalent scale, they would have gotten a nuclear deal too.

Back
Top Bottom