What's new

India's Man Mission to Moon.. IAF to select Men for mission.

first step will begin only after successful launch of GSLV ...

and hopefully new year will begin with that great news ...

again I would like to correct ...manned mission to moon will have to await ...
first we will have to demonstrate manned mission to space ....

Manned mission to moon is at-least quarter century far ....

and manned mission to space is at-least a decade far ...

Nevertheless we must begin planning now ...

i would expect a mission to space in 2-3 years if the GSLV succeeds , India has already done successful capsule recovery attempts ...

Space Capsule Recovery Experiment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If this succeeds then am hoping mission to the moon will not be far.... We should go to the moon pluck the American flag replace it with Indian flag :lol:

wow...means they started the whole thing long time ago

first step will begin only after successful launch of GSLV ...

and hopefully new year will begin with that great news ...

again I would like to correct ...manned mission to moon will have to await ...
first we will have to demonstrate manned mission to space ....

Manned mission to moon is at-least quarter century far ....

and manned mission to space is at-least a decade far ...

Nevertheless we must begin planning now ...

True that India will first have to send a man to space, and maybe a few more, before attempting a moon landing. However, if we devote our energy to it, I don't think it should take quarter of a century, because many technologies have advanced since USA did it. For instance, the mission computer was about as big as a room (and that was a big technological challenge at the time, to fit a computer into such a "small" volume), and had 64 kilobytes of memory! Today the computational power available to us is billions of times higher, and can fit into the palm of a hand. Material sciences have also advanced siginificantly. Whether India has the required expertise in aerospace, I don't know.

Another question is whether we should devote our national energy to such an endeavour at this stage. The US did it on a war footing, and took them ten years in the 60s. We could possibly do it in 15 years if we devote all our energy into it - but can we afford to do that? We are no superpower, and have other national priorities. So all that considered, 25 years might be a better timeline.

i would expect a mission to space in 2-3 years if the GSLV succeeds , India has already done successful capsule recovery attempts ...

If this succeeds then am hoping mission to the moon will not be far.... We should go to the moon pluck the American flag replace it with Indian flag :lol:

Nope. It'll take much longer. First GSLV itself will fly many more times (if Jan 5 is succesful) for it to be 'man rated' reliable. Then the space capusule will be flown without people and tested out multiple times. Then the attempt with one person will be made. Two and Three persons only after GSLV Mk 3 becomes operational and flown many many times. I suspect Indian astrnauts might fly aboard russian rockets before that to get training and experience. Goose-bumps :D if Jan 5 succeeds.

Mission to the moon? I don't think that'll happen before another 15 years. I don't think even GSLV Mk 4 is enough for that.

I really doubt that ...We have to have minimum 3 back to back successful launches of GSLV ....

which itself will take 3-4 years ...

and then for India to attempt the manned mission to space ...the subsystems such as Life support systems , space suits etc besides space capsule etc needs to be ready ...

Given our Indian Stretchable Time ...10 years is a quite realistic time frame ....

within 2-3 years is too optimistic ...I highly doubt that ...

Last edited:
True that India will first have to send a man to space, and maybe a few more, before attempting a moon landing. However, if we devote our energy to it, I don't think it should take quarter of a century, because many technologies have advanced since USA did it. For instance, the mission computer was about as big as a room (and that was a big technological challenge at the time, to fit a computer into such a "small" volume), and had 64 kilobytes of memory! Today the computational power available to us is billions of times higher, and can fit into the palm of a hand. Material sciences have also advanced significantly. Whether India has the required expertise in aerospace, I don't know.

Another question is whether we should devote our national energy to such an endeavor at this stage. The US did it on a war footing, and took them ten years in the 60s. We could possibly do it in 15 years if we devote all our energy into it - but can we afford to do that? We are no superpower, and have other national priorities. So all that considered, 25 years might be a better timeline.

Indeed just as Indian Ju-gaad managed to launch mars mission on such short notice ...if we act on war footing we might be able to launch manned mission to moon in 15-20 years ...but that may not be our national priority ...

I think India may be happy with robotic missions to moon ...and may limit itself to manned missions to space (at-least in near future ....)

Off course we should keep all options open ...

No need to match other countries blindly ....

So far Indian space programme has been far pragmatic about its priorities and resource management ...

I do not understand logic of training 200-250 personnel for so called proposed manned missions...

isn't it a overkill ?

I really doubt that ...We have to have minimum 3 back to back successful launches of GSLV ....

which itself will take 3-4 years ...

and them for India to attempt the manned mission to space ...the subsystems such as Life support systems , space suits etc besides space capsuleneeds to be ready ...

Given our Indian Stretchable time ...10 years is quite realistic time frame ....

within 2-3 years is too optimistic ...I highly doubt that ...

Actually when I think about it, it can't be ten years. It's more likely to be 5. If the candidates are about late 20s to early 30s (prime, experienced yet young), they'll in their 40s if it's a 10 year horizon. Not likely at all. If they're picking people now then I think in about 5 years we should see an orbital flight.

And it makes sense. If Jan 5 is succesul (keep fingers crossed) and if they push hard a simple manned orbital mission can become a reality in 5 years. And that is realistic keeping in mind the way ISRO works now. At least 8 odd (actually more) GSLV flights to validate reliability can be done in this period I guess. And they'll be able to do 2 rounds of the capsule for sure.

There are FOUR people selected from a pool of 200 interviewed. It's usually a tough selection process. only the best of the best make it.

Lord...please don't let the Daily Mail come across this thread...else they'll say aid money is funding our astronauts.

Actually when I think about it, it can't be ten years. It's more likely to be 5. If the candidates are about late 20s to early 30s (prime, experienced yet young), they'll in their 40s if it's a 10 year horizon. Not likely at all. If they're picking people now then I think in about 5 years we should see an orbital flight.

And it makes sense. If Jan 5 is succesul (keep fingers crossed) and if they push hard a simple manned orbital mission can become a reality in 5 years. And that is realistic keeping in mind the way ISRO works now. At least 8 odd (actually more) GSLV flights to validate reliability can be done in this period I guess. And they'll be able to do 2 rounds of the capsule for sure.

There are FOUR people selected from a pool of 200 interviewed. It's usually a tough selection process. only the best of the best make it.

I agree ...but we do not have even any official proposal yet ...

I believe ISRO is working on several subsystems simultaneously ..and preparing groundwork ...

Just like MOM it has capability to undertake such mission on short notice of few years if all the ingredients for the mission are in place ...

The January 5 launch is the most important mission in last 1 decade ....

It has far reaching importance to Indian space programme than even MOM or Chandrayaan mission...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom