India's first nuclear submarine set for trials

SpArK

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India

August 7, 2012

India on Tuesday said its first home-built nuclear submarine was set for sea trials, as it detailed billion-dollar projects to arm its navy with warships, aircraft and modern weaponry.

The indigenous 6,000-ton INS Arihant (Destroyer of Enemies) was unveiled in 2009 as part of a project to construct five such vessels which would be armed with nuclear-tipped missiles and torpedoes.

"Arihant is steadily progressing towards operationalisation, and we hope to commence sea trials in the coming months," Indian navy chief Admiral Nirmal Verma told reporters.

"Our maritime and nuclear doctrine will then be aligned to ensure that our nuclear insurance comes from the sea," Verma said,

Arihant is powered by an 85-megawatt nuclear reactor and can reach 44 kilometres an hour (24 knots), according to defence officials. It will carry a 95-member crew.

The Indian navy inducted a Russian-leased nuclear submarine into service in April this year, joining China, France, the United States, Britain and Russia in the elite club of countries with nuclear-powered vessels.

Verma said 43 warships were currently under construction at local shipyards while the first of six Franco-Spanish Scorpene submarines under contract would join the Indian navy in 2015 and the sixth by 2018.

The admiral said the navy was also poised to induct eight Boeing long-range maritime reconnaissance P-8I aircraft next year.

India's first nuclear submarine set for trials | Deccan Chronicle

Nice thread, SpArK!

So this means the harbor-acceptance trials are completed and now
the sea acceptance trials have started. will be important to watch out for cuz
as part of these trials it'll fire K-15 SLBMs from its onboard silos:bounce:

Waiting for a nice video of it...:triniti:

Nice thread, SpArK!

You kidding dude ???
Sub will only fire missiles after induction. Not before that :D

You kidding dude ???
Sub will only fire missiles after induction. Not before that :D

all sea trials include weapons calibration and firing . so it will test the missile before its induction.

@ spark . i like this avatar better than the last one mate:)

Nice thread, SpArK!

Waiting for some nice pictures of Arihant ...........:cheers:

I think we will be extremely lucky to get any pics/vid of the Arihant for the next few years before there is atleast 2 in te class. IN is ridiculously sketchy when it comes to their SSBNs/SSNs- we didn't even know such a projected exisited until one day just before it was launched FFS!

I doubt navy will induct a ballistic missile submarine without making sure that it can fire the missile. At least not the first set of ship.

Platform is only inducted after weapon trials .
Yes you are right on weapon trial. But I don't think K-15 will be tested on it as it is also in development stage. And I don't know any other SLBM we have. So it's most likely all other test will take place

How many days the sea trials last for.
Will it be ready for induction by this year end.
How does it compare to Chinese SLBM superior or on par with it.....???

How many days the sea trials last for.
Will it be ready for induction by this year end.
How does it compare to Chinese SLBM superior or on par with it.....???
I think they are ahead of us right now. And have this technology for many years.

May be our follow on arihanth class SLBM will be comparable.
We may add some features learned from TOT from scorpene and may even P-75I submarines deal

(AFP) – 6 hours ago

NEW DELHI — India on Wednesday said its first home-built nuclear submarine was set for sea trials, as it detailed billion-dollar projects to arm its navy with warships, aircraft and modern weaponry.

The indigenous 6,000-ton INS Arihant (Destroyer of Enemies) was unveiled in 2009 as part of a project to construct five such vessels which would be armed with nuclear-tipped missiles and torpedoes.

"Arihant is steadily progressing towards operationalisation, and we hope to commence sea trials in the coming months," Indian navy chief Admiral Nirmal Verma told reporters.

"Our maritime and nuclear doctrine will then be aligned to ensure that our nuclear insurance comes from the sea," Verma said,

Arihant is powered by an 85-megawatt nuclear reactor and can reach 44 kilometres an hour (24 knots), according to defence officials. It will carry a 95-member crew.

The Indian navy inducted a Russian-leased nuclear submarine into service in April this year, joining China, France, the United States, Britain and Russia in the elite club of countries with nuclear-powered vessels.

Verma said 43 warships were currently under construction at local shipyards while the first of six Franco-Spanish Scorpene submarines under contract would join the Indian navy in 2015 and the sixth by 2018.

The admiral said the navy was also poised to induct eight Boeing long-range maritime reconnaissance P-8I aircraft next year.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Military Forum Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom