What's new

India's Fake 'Love Jihad'

Skallagrim

Reaction score
India's Fake 'Love Jihad'

With Narendra Modi ensconced in the prime minister's office, India's newly empowered Hindu nationalist Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) party faces the formidable task of reaching out to the country's 177 million Muslims. In Uttar Pradesh -- the site of deadly religious riots last September -- they're off to an inauspicious start, reviving a widely denounced source of right-wing Hindu nationalist paranoia: "love jihad."

The so-called love jihad "phenomenon" sees young Muslim men seducing and eloping with young Hindu women and then converting them to Islam. It has launched websites such as LoveJihadInfo.com, a one-stop source for all things sexually sinister and Muslim that features articles such as "Mangalore: Love Jihad an indirect war on Hindu civilization." The site also claims that global love jihad is run by international terrorist organizations and blames the "fake secularism" of India's mainstream media for encouraging it.

On Thursday, a court in Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh, gave the state government and its election authorities 10 days to respond to a public-interest lawsuit seeking to curb references to "love jihad" and take action against BJP Minister of Parliament Yogi Adityanath, a frequent invoker of the term. Adityanath, whose inflammatory opinions on minorities have raised hackles, considers love jihad an "international conspiracy" against India, the Economic Times reported.

The court ruling comes just days after a cadre of influential elders in Agra -- also in Uttar Pradesh -- banned girls from using cellphones, according to the Times of India. Cellphones and the Internet "lead young minds to fall in the 'love jihad' trap," one elder reportedly said. "We will convince them politely, with love. There will be no pressure or force. Karate training will be given to girls so they can protect themselves from anti-social elements and love jihadis," he added.

But force is being applied, cellphone or no. Earlier this week, Hindu political groups attacked a pair of police stations, fueled by allegations that a "love jihadi" was on the loose and getting "VIP treatment" by authorities.

On Monday, Uma Bharti, water resources minister and a prominent BJP member, said that love jihad should be debated. "I am neither for it nor against it. Elders of the two communities must sit together and find a solution to the issue," Bharti reportedly said. "There is a need to ensure that the future of boys and girls of either community is not jeopardized in any way." Shahid Siddiqui, a Muslim and former MP of Uttar Pradesh, says Bharti is "trying to put fuel on the fire."

That "fire" has its origin in the 1947 partition, which created modern India and most of today's Pakistan. Britain's decision to grant the subcontinent independence by dividing it into Hindu- and Muslim-majority countries sparked one of the largest mass migrations in modern history. Over several months, some 12 million people moved between India and newly created Pakistan's east and west halves. Ten million crossed just the western border to and from Punjab state.

During that brief and dark period, incidents and reports of sexual predation and forced conversions by Hindu men of Muslim women and vice versa ran rampant. An estimated 75,000 women were raped and abducted -- and sometimes by men of their own faith, Urvashi Butalia writes in The Other Side of Silence. While working on a documentary about the partition, Butalia collected horrific stories from survivors, including accounts of women leaping into wells to drown themselves to avoid rape and conversion.

Those ghosts haunt India, Butalia argues, in the form of attacks against Sikhs in Delhi in 1984, the deaths of hundreds of Muslims in the Bihar riots of 1989, and the destruction of the Babri Masjid in Ayodhya by Hindu fundamentalists in 1992. The politicization of sexual violence persists:

In each of these instances, Partition stories and memories were used selectively by the aggressors: militant Hindus were mobilized using the one-sided argument that Muslims had killed Hindus at Partition, they had raped Hindu women, and so they must in turn be killed, and their women subjected to rape. And the patterns were there in individual life too: a Muslim and a Hindu in independent India could not easily choose to marry each other without worrying about whether one or the other of them would survive the wrath of their families or communities; if such a marriage broke up, or for some reason ended up in court, you could be sure that it would be accompanied by public announcements, for example on the part of the judiciary, about those who had accepted the two-nation theory and those who had not.

"The fear by Hindus of Muslim men abducting their daughters certainly goes back into the national movement," said Gail Minault, a partition expert and professor who recently retired from the University of Texas at Austin. Though there is an ample, charged polemic around the issue, much of the abduction of and violence against women happen within religions rather than between them, Minault explained.

That hasn't stopped the BJP and its Hindu nationalist adherents from exploiting and politicizing these fears. Among its allies are the paramilitary Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS), and the 50-year-old Vishva Hindu Parishad (VHP), a group that seeks to be "the indomitable force of the Hindu society for the protection of its core values, beliefs, and sacred traditions" -- a philosophy known as Hindutva. Hindutva involves converting people to Hinduism and, apparently, running a love jihad help hotline that the VHP claims received 1,500 calls over a three-month stretch earlier this year. The arch right-wingers of the Shri Ram Sena also got into the fun, launching a national anti-love jihad campaign in 2009 called "Save our daughters, save India." Hindus and Christians even coalesce over their fear of Muslim sexual aggression.

The current war on love jihad also started in 2009, when Karnataka state officials demanded an investigation into claims that young Muslim men associated with the Muslim Islamic Popular Front of India and the Campus Front were seducing Hindu and Christian girls solely to convert them. But in November of that year, Karnataka police found there was no such plot.

State officials affirmed that a few months later. "The police had investigated the case and come to the conclusion that [she] had married a Muslim youth of her own free will and that there was no force used to convert" her, the national newspaper the Hindu reported about a specific alleged incident.

Things only escalated from there. In July of 2010, Kerala's then-chief minister V.S. Achuthanandan speculated that Muslim groups such as the Popular Front of India were using "money and marriages to make Kerala a Muslim majority state," a claim denounced by the religiously unaligned Congress Party.

In January 2012, Kerala police closed the book on love jihad, calling it a "campaign with no substance," and pursued legal action against the website hindujagruti.org for "spreading religious hatred and false propaganda."

The BJP and Hindutva's exploitation of this fear for political gain, especially amid a rape crisis in India, is particularly troubling. Sexual violence is a horrible part of the modern subcontinent's origin myth that the BJP has a responsibility to, if not acknowledge, at least not exploit. For now, the brewing hysteria appears confined to Uttar Pradesh, offering party elders a wide-open opportunity to denounce it.

Love Jihad is bullshit, there is no global conspiracy going on to forcefully convert girls to Islam, that would be wrong according to Islamic teachings.
But if girls or women want to convert to Islam, thats their personal choice and no one, including the Indian government, can stop them if they really want to. You can feed people propaganda, you can try to brainwash them, but if they genuinely believe in something, no one can change that.

Another ignorant prattle from an armchair expert. Love Jihad is well known in western UP, and so is the fact that a disproportionate number of rapes and other crimes are committed by Muslims.
UP?
A harvest of horror and shame

Women are the worst sufferers in the violence perpetrated during the recent communal riots and other upheavals in Uttar Pradesh.
In the wake of the riots that shook north India, I found myself in one of the manykafilas which travelled the tortuous road across Muzaffarnagar and Shamli in Uttar Pradesh. As a Member of the Planning Commission, I demanded answers from the district administration. In the commission, I was in charge of the welfare of the minorities as well as that of women and children. I went there with my colleague, a young lawyer, in the wake of the communal flares which had erased every pretension of the region being a part of a civilised world.

What we heard from the victims were accounts of not only about the killing, the burning and the maiming of people, but also about the redeployment of an age-old weapon — women’s bodies, which were used as instruments for the redemption of male honour. In the villages of Shamli and Muzaffarnagar, women quietly recounted the horrors of the violation of their bodies which man after man had forced himself on. Graphic accounts were recorded by brave journalists, which are available in the public domain; girls watching their mothers being gang-raped, rods being inserted into women’s bodies, and other horrific accounts of violation of the extreme form.

The slogan doing the rounds there was: “Musalmanon ke do hi sthan, Pakistan ya qabristan” (“Only two places for Muslims: Pakistan of graveyard”).

In the past year, similar other incidents have been recorded, and with new twists and turns. The Meerut gangrape was an example where the focus was on a Hindu girl and a Muslim man. The scene of crime was alleged to have been a madrassa, where the girl was first raped and then converted. Nothing could have been a worse violation of social norms. There was more horror in the Hindi version of the story which explained a scar on the girl’s abdomen as “kidney nikalney ki ashanka” (suspicion of kidney removal). The question since then has been this: was it a case of rape or not? In the case of the Badaun sisters, it is the same question again. Were they gang-raped? The truth about violence against women is that it is deliberately left vague, in case it needs to be tweaked later.

As I was writing this piece, news reports brought forth more revelations about the Loni rape case which involved a nine-year-old Hindu girl and a 60-year-old Muslim man. While an examination of the child revealed no rape, the crowds had already gone on a rampage, indulging in looting and burning. An auto driver was shot to death a kilometre away from the spot; it is alleged that this shooting was in retaliation for the crime. The driver’s Muslim identity has been revealed; his name was Jameel. While the assailant has been identified by Jameel’s brother, his name has not been revealed and the Senior Superintendent of Police, Dharmendra Singh, has been quoted as saying that he is not sure of hismazhab.

Familiar stories
Uttar Pradesh has become the rape and kill centre (I cannot think of a better word) of the second decade of the 21st century. At a meeting just after my visit to Muzaffarnagar, I was haunted by the chilling words of a senior journalist: “You think you have seen the worst, but, believe me, you haven’t seen it all. Wait until the cane is harvested. Then you can start counting the bodies which will show up as bones.” Evidence of this assertion has been featured in newspapers all year.

My prayer is that the Uttar Pradesh of 2014 does not become the Gujarat of 2002.

In 2002, I was a member of a six-woman team that went to Gujarat, days after the burning of the Sabarmati Express and the carnage that followed. We wanted to find out what had happened to women, post-Godhra. We went from camp to camp, to Shah Alam, Vatva, Halol, Kalol, Memdabad, Gulberg and Bahar Colony. We drove to camps in Sabarkantha, Banaskantha and Mehsana. Everywhere we went, we talked to women and girls; the stories were exactly the same as I heard 12 years later in the worst-affected villages of Muzaffarnagar and Shamli. Only this time it was in Lakh Bawdi, Lisad, Phugana, Kutba Kutbi, Kirana, Budhana and Bahawdi.

What is happening to my Uttar Pradesh, and to my country? Where will it lead us to? I ask this with my lens as that of an Indian, a Muslim and a woman.

I am a biographer of the man who should have been the undisputed leader of Muslims in this country — Maulana Abul Kalam Azad. (He would have not liked my saying “leader of Muslims” because he regarded not just Muslims but every quom as his own.) I recall his speech as Congress President, delivered in 1940 at the Ramgarh Session. Addressing a mammoth gathering, he spoke words which need to be remembered in the present context: “I am a Muslim and profoundly conscious of the fact that I have inherited Islam’s glorious traditions of the last thirteen hundred years ... I am equally proud of the fact that I am an Indian, an essential part of the indivisible unity of Indian nationhood, a vital factor in its total make-up without which this noble edifice will remain incomplete ….”

He then spoke of the Indian ethos; words which should have been in every school textbook are now obviated from collective memory: “This thousand years of our joint life has moulded us into a common nationality. This cannot be done artificially. Nature does her fashioning through her hidden processes in the course of centuries. The cast has now been moulded and destiny has set her seal upon it.”

Years after these words were spoken from Ramgarh in Bihar, the soil of Uttar Pradesh has borne witness to a different set of words — qabristan or Pakistan.

Seven years after the Ramgarh speech, Azad stood on the steps of the Jama Masjid and admonished Muslims who, struck by the terror of killings by frenzied mobs, were running away to the newly formed state across the border. He asked them: “Come, today let us pledge that this country is ours, we belong to it and any fundamental decision about its destiny will remain incomplete without our consent.” The crowds stopped in their tracks. Hejrat to another land was halted by the words of one who spoke on behalf of the entire nation.

Those were different times.

Falling behind
Today, other realities have taken over. In all these years, Muslims have fallen behind the rest of the country as far as every socio-economic indicator is concerned. Successive governments have been trying to include them in the development paradigm. Their leaders have tried many strategies to empower them. Formations such as the Pasmanda Muslim Samaj have tried to get benefits from the state as well as create alliances and political formations. The word pasmanda means backward; it is a word which is equally applicable to Dalits who fit the meaning.

In Uttar Pradesh, this formation had a chance of gaining political strength by aligning with the Bahujan Samaj. That came a cropper. The Yadavs pitted themselves against Muslims; Jat identity was repackaged as a part of a larger Hindu one. And, their enmity played out on the bodies of women. Stories of Muslim boys abducting Hindu girls were given the title, “love jihad.” Khap panchayats held meetings where strategies were devised to counter this trend. Youth on both sides, Muslim and Hindu, were psyched to sacrifice their lives to defend the honour of their sisters.

What does this build-up bode for this country of crores of people of diverse faiths, ethnicities, classes and castes? What does it bode for the South Asian region, at once most vibrant and most troubled? What does it bode for women across all divides of caste, creed and religion who are violated every day, in every context and conflict?

The lines from Faiz Ahmed Faiz say it all:

Saje tau kaise saje qatl e aam ka mela?

Kisey lubhaye ga mere badan ka wavaila?

Mere nizaar badan mein lahu hi kitna hai?

Chiragh ho koi raushan na koi jaam bhare

Na us se aag hi bhadke na us se pyaas bujhe

How will these mass killings be

celebrated?

Who will heed the moaning of my hurt

body?

There is hardly blood in my frail body —

It can light no lamp, fill no goblet

It can quench no fire, slake no thirst.

(Syeda Hameed is a writer and a former Member of the Planning Commission.)

Finally a sane article on this errr issue...can't believe the number of people who believe this crap

Another ignorant prattle from an armchair expert. Love Jihad is well known in western UP, and so is the fact that a disproportionate number of rapes and other crimes are committed by Muslims.

bollocks ,you just made this up or have you got any proof ?
another bag of bollocks

Love Jihad is bullshit, there is no global conspiracy going on to forcefully convert girls to Islam, that would be wrong according to Islamic teachings.
But if girls or women want to convert to Islam, thats their personal choice and no one, including the Indian government, can stop them if they really want to. You can feed people propaganda, you can try to brainwash them, but if they genuinely believe in something, no one can change that.

I totally agree with you on this. Let people choose who they want to fall in love. Lets not allow politicians to politicize it and invade our private lives.

Love to Jihaad se kam hota bhi nhi hai......

most of the muslim men i know have this getup , thanks to mullah brainwashing course they had in their madrasah
Muslim-Man.jpg

i am 100 % confident my gf wouldn't fall for this .

Than you dont have you worry do ya? :rofl:

9/11 was an insider job. 26/11 was RSS plan. Azmal Kasab was a Bajrang Dal member.......etc ...etc.

Oh I forgot to mention: Hitler was right about JEWs.

Than you dont have you worry do ya? :rofl:
common mate you guys always overrate yourself on looks , i am sure a lot of muslim girls would have married hindu guys had they not had those scary skullcap dads .

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom