Reaction score
Country
United States
India's Biggest $25 Billion Defence Deal to Crash Land
By Pradip R Sagar

Published: 24th Apr 2016 04:03:54 AM

• 000_DV948163.jpg

A file photo of US F16 jet fighter | AFP
NEW DELHI: India has a record of sour defence deals. While the Rafael deal with France to buy 36 fighters jets at nearly `60,000 crore is stuck over a year despite announcement made by PM Narendra Modi during his Paris visit in April 2015, India’s biggest defence buy with its old military hardware partner Russia threatens to crash. It is thrice bigger than the French deal and concerns 127 Fifth Generation Fighter Aircraft (FGFA) costing over $25 billion. `1,500 crore, which India has already paid for preliminary design of the aircraft, may go down the drain. It is the IAF—despite desperation to strengthen its combat fleet—that has put its foot down, citing differences with Russia, the co-developer of the FGFA project.

In an internal communication to the Ministry of Defence, the Air Headquarters has flagged at least 15 objections to the Fifth Generation Fighter Aircraft (FGFA), ranging from fighter’s unreliable engine, poor stealth features, and inadequate radar to its high cost overrun. The letter sent last month has virtually grounded the entire program.

“Under the present scenario, only a political call can revive the program,” a highly placed source said.

In fact, IAF went further to slam Russians for not giving access to the developed prototypes of the aircraft to its pilots. Moreover, it also expressed apprehension that the Russians would not share critical design information with India because they have deliberately reduced the Indian work share despite India’s huge expenditure on the preliminary design. India’s work share in FGFA research and development and other aspects of the multi-billion dollar project at the moment is nearly 10 per cent, even though Delhi is bearing 50 per cent of the project cost.

In 2007, the Congress-led UPA government had signed an inter-governmental agreement with Russia to co-develop the next generation FGFA. It was followed by the $295 million (`1,483 crore) preliminary design contract (PDC) in December 2010. The overall FGFA project cost for making all the 127 fighters in India was pegged at around $25 billion.

The preliminary design stage of the FGFA programme was completed in June 2013 based on a contract signed in December 2010 with the Russian side.

As per the Inter-Governmental Agreement (IGA) signed in October 2007, Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) is the designated implementation organisation from the Indian side. HAL is supported by agencies, including Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) and Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR).

The programme requires further $6 billion towards its research and development contract. Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar-led defence acquisition council has to give its approval for the R&D contract. It is believed that the delivery of FGFA to the IAF will begin only after nearly eight years from the start of the R&D contract.

“The ministry is in a dilemma over the future of the program after resistance from the IAF. But simultaneously, the Indian government has already spent a sizeable amount of Rs 1,500 crore on the program. And if the program does not make, spent money might go in waste,” said an official. This deal created controversy during 2011, when a clause was inserted in violation of the defence procurement policy to give contract to Russia to provide International Private Leased Circuit (IPLC) bandwidth connectivity between Bangalore-Moscow-Irkutsk to lay communication lines between the two partners.

IAF’s depleting combat strength has been a cause of concern as it is down to 34 fighter squadrons against 42 of its authorised strength based on certain projections in the next couple of years. IAF is getting four squadrons of Su-30 and subsequently indigenously built Light Combat aircraft Tejas is expected to fill the critical requirement of the force.

Collision Course

■ IAF claims developed engine of FGFA was not reliable

■ Inadequate radar and stealth features

■ Huge cost over-run

■ India’s reduced share. Lack of participation by IAF in the design phase

■ IAF apprehensive that Russia will not share technology

http://www.newindianexpress.com/the...l-to-Crash-Land/2016/04/24/article3396450.ece

Wow, so it sounds like Russia's 5th generation attempt is crashing and burning.

Makes me wonder about China's attempts.

At least where it comes to the J-31, the fact that China is not buying it themselves and only Pakistan has even expressed interest (no commitment) tells me that its likely a failure.

This is China's chance to leapfrog Russia in anycase, I wonder if they can do it with the J-20.If Russia is having trouble with the engines, then I have doubts when it comes to China, who has had trouble developing one and historically relies on Russian engines.

so No PAK-FA for India??

Pakistan showed Interest in J-31 for sure and it's not a failure their new Prototype i.e version 2 which was shown in Zuhai air show will come out this year..... Plus J-31 production gonna start in 2024....

Chinese are working on J-20 and they gonna infuse most of it's tech to J-31..... You can't simply say it's a Failure

PAK-FA project is better suited for China-Russia collaboration

why would China collaborate with Russia on Pak-Fa when it's own J-20 is coming along smoothly :what:

if anything it should be Russia wanting to join China on the J-20.

Well I mean PAK-FA is destined to come to Pakistan one day

"PAK" prefix or you can FA (Forget about it )

Well apart from joking , I think project just needs some heavy investment I am sure China can invest some $ in project to iron out the kinks etc , I would not be surprised if the news comes one day

What is going on guys?? If FGFA does not come then US F-35 or Japanese Mitsubishi X-2 Shinshin would.

Brace your self for Indian threads on these aircraft...

Why are people talking about J-20, ther is no any information about the J-20. They are not sharing any faillure about the J-20 like the russian. If IAF wasn't participated with the projects we wouldn't now about the faillures.

Pakfa is a sinking ship.

so No PAK-FA for India??

Pakistan showed Interest in J-31 for sure and it's not a failure their new Prototype i.e version 2 which was shown in Zuhai air show will come out this year..... Plus J-31 production gonna start in 2024....

Chinese are working on J-20 and they gonna infuse most of it's tech to J-31..... You can't simply say it's a Failure

Depends how you define failure. Given that China itself is not going to buy the J-31, I'm comfortable assuming it can't really be compared to the F-35. China would be very eager for a true 5th gen jet, they wouldn't just sell it for export without building any for themselves.

This tells me it at the very least doesn't live up to the Western Hype that its similar to the F-35 in anyway but the most superficial manner.

Hello All
(If The News Is True)First of all well done and congratulation to IAF, Pointing out faults and short comings for much talked and well money spend program is not easy also when you have lot of political pressure too, At least they know what is best for there country .
And to all of 5th Gen Especially J31 Lovers ...... After eating billions of $$$ PAK-FA is still not what it meant to be, Keep in mind its Russian who are making it not Chinese and this bird is already in air (many hours of test fly), Its not like J31 Which we only saw in shape of Models ,,, Model 1 or New Model In abs or xyz AIR SHOW.
Dear All , I m not against J31 , I am against the thinking that J31 is fully ready and Mature and we can fly it in 5 years , and J31 is the way to go........
NO its not true You like it or not there will be no J31 out there ready for production until 2025 (may be ) and that will be the first block , The Mature J31 will be available after 2030 minimum.
J31 is a good bird if we keep an eye on our requirement, A nice 5th Gen Bird to Replace our F16 (All of Them) in Future.
And for Indian It will be good if they build more Rafale and Put French Avionics In Tejas and take SU30 Number to 400 minimum and upgrade them all with new Su35 Kit(also improve there operational availability numbers),
And its better to hold on 5th Gen until Mature bird is available , I will also say do not go for F35 this bird is also not what it meant to be and that is said by USA not me ..(the main reasons y this bird is in air 1 Political , 2 No other bird available ).
Thank you all

Well I mean PAK-FA is destined to come to Pakistan one day

"PAK" prefix or you can FA (Forget about it )

Well apart from joking , I think project just needs some heavy investment I am sure China can invest some $ in project to iron out the kinks etc , I would not be surprised if the news comes one day
there is zero interests we have in T-50, we were not interested in 2006 back then, and now we are more capable than Russia to develop real 5th gen fighter```` T-50 is never a real 5th gen fighter to begin with

Why are people talking about J-20, ther is no any information about the J-20. They are not sharing any faillure about the J-20 like the russian. If IAF wasn't participated with the projects we wouldn't now about the faillures.

Pakfa is a sinking ship.
Obviously you are jealous. Thinking it will have failure? The American has all the spies satellite watching China J-20 24 hrs non stop. If there is any sign of failure, you will know it soon. Even the Russian can't hide their engine problem.

J-20 LRIP has started. If its a failure or seriously flaw , why LRIP? I know. Your jealousy will claim China is playing deception by putting a serious flaw J-20 to fool the american? You think China is Iran putting a fake 5th gen fighter to fool the world? You shall be more worry when Turkey can come out a real 5th gen fighter? 2099, ,maybe? :D

Obviously you are jealous. Thinking it will have failure? The American has all the spies satellite watching China J-20 24 hrs non stop. If there is any sign of failure, you will know it soon. Even the Russian can't hide their engine problem.

J-20 LRIP has started. If its a failure or seriously flaw , why LRIP? I know. Your jealousy will claim China is playing deception by putting a serious flaw J-20 to fool the american? You think China is Iran putting a fake 5th gen fighter to fool the world? You shall be more worry when Turkey can come out a real 5th gen fighter? 2099, ,maybe? :D
Leave it Mr beast , this guy knows nothing about fighter jet development in China:china:

Back
Top Bottom