What's new

India's $35 Tablet is No Vaporware

of course its possible, "this project is government subsidised " its only a matter of how much of a hit the government is willing to take per tablet sold. any price is possible when the government is willing to lose money on it, the question is what the real cost of it is, im guessing 50+ minimum with crappy hardware

Why push yourself so much :azn:

Just be satisfied with the fact ,you can watch hentai on it :lol:

$35 Indian Android tablet gets launch date

sakshat-sg.jpg

We have talked about the Android-powered tablet from India that is supposed to be $35 before when it was first unveiled. That dirt cheap tablet has been given a launch date and the official name of the product is Sakshat apparently. Try as I might, I can’t help but point out the fact that the name sounds like sack o’ sh*t, which is perhaps not the best moniker. Imagine trying to tell your friends about this thing, “Dude check out my new tablet, it’s the Sakshat.” The friend would go, “The sack of what?
Anyway, mocking the name aside the $35 tablet is set to land in January 2011. The Indian government has apparently given the job of building the Sakshat to HCL Technologies. The specific ship date is pegged at January 10 and a million units are expected at launch.

The tablet is expected in three versions with 5-inch, 7-inch, and 9-inch screens. The first units will be the 7-inch version. If it can actually come to market at $35 for the 7-inch, I have to wonder how cheap the 5-inch version will be. I still find that price very hard to believe. The device promises web surfing and the ability to play YouTube video.
$35 Indian Android tablet gets launch date - SlashGear
:victory::victory:
WOW LAUNCH ON JAN 2011!!!!ONE MILLION UNITS EXPECTED AT LAUNCH...NAME SHAKSHAT(wth?)
$35 for a tablet that have:
1ghz processor
2gb ram
memory expandable upto 32gb
wifi
solar panel which gives infinite battery backup:cheers:

Grats on the progress! the project seems to be going smoothly.

BTW, in China you can buy a Wifi-enabled 7 inch touch screen tablet running Android for around $75. Deduce manufacturer and retail profits from that, I think $35 is a pretty realistic cost for making a tablet nowadays.

But if you are making it in India or in China :victory:

Last edited:
But if you are making it in India or in China :victory:

That's the made-in-China price, labor costs in India are probably lower. Although electronics manufacturing nowadays is not just about labor costs, there's no doubt the economy of scale involved in this project will keep the cost very low.

With all due respect though, I'll be surprised if most components of this device won't be coming from China.

Techtree.com India > News > Consumer Electronics > India's $35 Tablet is No Vaporware

Surprisingly, he also confirmed that he is aiming to bring the cost down to $10 later! By 2011, he expects at least a million units of the $35 tablet in the hands of Indian students. He adds that once that is done, we are ready to take the next step and take the tablet global.

YouTube - $35 Indian Tablet Feature Tour And Hands On Demonstration

Watch the video they play with it :P

Congratulations.

How can he possibly bring it down to like $10. Can anybody explain this ?

People in the states are going to ***** about Asians putting them out of business again... Good work! I'd like to get one since I'm pretty much broke right now.

I will buy if they are available here or Bangladesh. It's like my $10/month Planet Fitness membership, can't go wrong at that price.

regardless of how you may want to twist and downplay the possibilities of its success, the fact is a government willing to do this for its children needs to be applauded and thanked!..after all if its holding back the price, it is for its own children!!!! A govt doing something good for its citizens, of course is not something a Chinese would know..anyways..

The sad reality for trolls like you is that your jealously and ill-intent makes you look really stupid when actually there is nothing to debate here. Now come on, according to you: India does not do anything for its poor, if it tries something..the hardware is crappy???? Get lost!!!!!

Shouldn't the government use the money and subsidize say food instead? This sounds like a publicity stunt. I don't get why non-Indians get so excited about this product, you're not getting it for $35 dollars because it's unlikely that the GOI will subsidize it for you. You'll get it probably initially at around $75 just like the cheap tablets from China and elsewhere.

Back
Top Bottom