What's new

India's 197 Copter Deal Suspended, Indefinitely.

Agent_47

Reaction score
Country
India
Bad news for Eurocopter and Kamov. The Indian Army / Air Force joint reconnaissance & surveillance helicopter (RSH) acquisition programme -- for 197 helicopters all in flyaway condition -- has been indefinitely deferred. At a meeting of the country's Defence Acquisition Council (DAC) at the Defence Ministry today, it was decided, like it happens so often in India, that no decision would be taken just yet. The official reason recorded at the meeting was the absence of India's Army Chief, General Bikram Singh, currently in Japan on an official visit. The truth, of course, is somewhat different, and has been known for a while now.

197RSH.jpg

Since an all-out cancellation would be too abrupt at this stage, my sources inform me that the deal is likely to languish without decision indefinitely. As I reported earlier, Eurocopter has refused to extend the validity of its commercial bid beyond March 31, 2013, leaving therefore very little time for "clear visibility" from the MoD. Plainly, it doesn't look good.

And with a federal investigation into India's acquisition of AgustaWestland AW101 executive transport helicopters announced yesterday, my sources tell me the collateral damage from the heat has only allowed the government to justify a non-decision on the light copter procurement. At any rate, it seems unlikely now that the government will make any major moves. Parliament reconvenes a week from now, and it promises to be (when is it not) full of righteous turbulence. I'll be looking out for politicians who see the irony, of course, in a deal for copters for politicians going bad, and ending up shafting a deal for copters for army soldiers at India's most hostile battlefields.

The Eurocopter AS 550 C3 Fennec and Kamov Ka-226T Sergei compete for a deal that could top $600-million, but appears now to be headed, once again, into oblivion. More here.

Livefist: India's 197 Copter Deal Suspended, Indefinitely.

Half of the army aviation wing helicopters need to be replaced, We need to procure these helicopters soon.

As I was predicting. This deal is now in **** box.
Few factors were responsible for that deal---

1- Better quality of ALH rather than expected & introduction in huge #. ALH are performing too many roles which were previously done by Chetak/cheetah.

2- IA/IAF give order of 20-25 Chetak/chetah to HAL recently.

3- ALH is performing so great right now, while LUH will also based on this, so estimation from LUH are also high. 4-5 years & HAL will come with the model of LUH.

4- Buget problems.:tup:

if dhruv or is small variant can do the job then why not go for that ..........

Good news for Pakistan..
Hopefully Rafale will meet the same fate :woot:

Good news for Pakistan..

Its bad news for Pakistan.

1-This is scraped because other more sensible defense project will not face delay due to money like RAFALE.
:eek:
2- This will lead IA/IAF to induct our own LUH which is still on paper & can not find its future in armed forces.:anz:

Good news for Pakistan..
Complety different kettle of fish mate. The reason this deal has been canned is because it is said the helos on offers failed the field trails in certain criteria. The Rafale has passed every stage of the MMRCA deal this has been stated categorically by the IAF and by the independent probes the MoD ordered into the MMRCA deal last year.

Unfortunately for Pakistan the Rafales will be arriving in Indian in 2015.

Good news for Pakistan..

The first flight is expected in 2013. Production is planned to begin in 2015 at 10 per year, later on going up to 36 per year and delivery of 187 HAL’s LUHs is to be completed by 2022

If you are HAL this is a good day for you! Now orders for 300+ for their LUHs are all but assured.

As I was predicting. This deal is now in **** box.
Few factors were responsible for that deal---

1- Better quality of ALH rather than expected & introduction in huge #. ALH are performing too many roles which were previously done by Chetak/cheetah.

2- IA/IAF give order of 20-25 Chetak/chetah to HAL recently.

3- ALH is performing so great right now, while LUH will also based on this, so estimation from LUH are also high. 4-5 years & HAL will come with the model of LUH.

4- Buget problems.:tup:
1,2,3 maybe. 4- budget had ZERO part to play in this deal.

Good news for Pakistan..

And then we will be submitted in buying JF-17's... wishful thinking can continue from both the ends (let's keep it civil please)...

On topic... apparently 40% of the Army aviation required replacements and this will not help surely. I hope apache's don't meet the same fate.

Good news for Pakistan..

No it won't the French are pros at this game and are unlikely to jeopardize a huge deal over something as inconsequential as bribes.
As a matter of fact, French MP Olivier Dassault attempted to legalize the giving of bribes for overseas defense contracts in 2006.

MP UMP Olivier Dassault, son of Serge Dassault (Dassault Aviation chairman), has declared Friday, December 10th, favorable for payment of fees in defense contracts, though prohibited by France and the OECD. Olivier Dassault trying for years to move its Rafale fighter at the international , unsuccessfully so far: without these commmissions, "it will be difficult," is argued Mr. Dassault, interviewed on Europe 1 .
Prohibition "is a drag on the TGV stations, submarine," says the member, which, if fees are returned, must be "known otherwise. (...) These are business expenses that are given in the context of obtaining a contract. This is France's national interest is at stake, "he insists." Nobody dares to say . At one point, we must dare say things, "the son of Serge Dassault .
Le dput Olivier Dassault veut rtablir les commissions sur les contrats d'armement

No it won't the French are pros at this game and are unlikely to jeopardize a huge deal over something as inconsequential as bribes.
As a matter of fact, French MP Olivier Dassault attempted to legalize the giving of bribes for overseas defense contracts in 2006.

Le dput Olivier Dassault veut rtablir les commissions sur les contrats d'armement

Mate this 197 deal cancellation has NOTHING to do with bribes. NO ONE has accused anyone of this. The whole issue is performance or lack there of during field trails.

And then we will be submitted in buying JF-17's... wishful thinking can continue from both the ends (let's keep it civil please)...

On topic... apparently 40% of the Army aviation required replacements and this will not help surely. I hope apache's don't meet the same fate.
Why are you bringing Apaches into this mate? Apples and oranges.

People need to chill out and stop connecting unconnected dots.

If you are HAL this is a good day for you! Now orders for 300+ for their LUHs are all but assured.

1,2,3 maybe. 4- budget had ZERO part to play in this deal.

Particularly, you are right 1st 3 reasons are enough to scrap the deal. But come here buddy & visit here sometime, you will find how much budget cut is facing by militry. Now they need to priotrised there needs while most of our equipment are outdated.
So 4th factor is too much reasonable as much as other ones. But fans like us, are unable to understand that & underestimate that.;)

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom