What's new

Indian Special Forces

The Para (SF) have traditionally preferred not to use helmets as they felt it would slow them down. They have started using helmets more extensively in the past few years and soon that will become their SOP, most likely when they get a new generation of lightweight helmets (like FASTs).

Mate,having talked to some Para SF guys recently i doubt they are ever gonna wear a helmet in operations anywhere except urban theatre.

They like to travel light and believe in fitness and stamina as their best protection and agility as the best weapon.

Expect big modernisation for Nsg in the kit and equipment.And i believe it will be the first special force/unit to get Fast helmet and a big upgrade followed by Marcos and Para.

Last edited:
Mate,having talked to some Para SF guys recently
Very cool! Are you able to share any tidbits of information you gleaned from these guys mate?

Expect big modernisation for Nsg in the kit and equipment.And i believe it will the first special force/unit to get Fast helmet and a big upgrade followed by Marcos and Para.

I don't know about the NSG (yes they got a bigger budget now but they just got those new helmets about 3-4 years back, I don't know if they're gonna get new helmets anytime soon) but I do think the Garuds and MARCOs are likely to get these next generation helmets imminently and the PARA (SF) probably sometime after that.

Mate,having talked to some Para SF guys recently i doubt they are ever gonna wear a helmet in operations anywhere except urban theatre.

They like to travel light and believe in fitness and stamina as their best protection and agility as the best weapon.

Expect big modernisation for Nsg in the kit and equipment.And i believe it will be the first special force/unit to get Fast helmet and a big upgrade followed by Marcos and Para.

Whats the weight of modern FAST helmets anyways? What about head protection? The head is the most vital part to protect... splinters, shrapnel etc can knock you out of combat within splitseconds without head protection. Apart from that modern helmets provide a better base for communications and accessories like NVG`s....

Its kinda hard to believe that they dont like to wear them because they are too heavy....

Very cool! Are you able to share any tidbits of information you gleaned from these guys mate?

I don't know about the NSG (yes they got a bigger budget now but they just got those new helmets about 3-4 years back, I don't know if they're gonna get new helmets anytime soon) but I do think the Garuds and MARCOs are likely to get these next generation helmets imminently and the PARA (SF) probably sometime after that.

Tidbits about probation period and how they managed..no operational info.

Whats the weight of modern FAST helmets anyways? What about head protection? The head is the most vital part to protect... splinters, shrapnel etc can knock you out of combat within splitseconds without head protection. Apart from that modern helmets provide a better base for communications and accessories like NVG`s....

Its kinda hard to believe that they dont like to wear them because they are too heavy....

They are 20% lighter and come with rails and add more flexibilty.

buddy in a 70km march you have to even think about carrying 500gms extra.

Anything you can share bro? And was it a case of them not willing to disclose operational stuff or you not asking about such stuff?

No point asking them ;)

They told about how the recruits are divided into one team which is left in a jungle who are ambushed on the 7th day after bein left hungry for days.

The guys doing the ambush are the blue team or SF operators who capture them and then beat the hell out of them in interrogation.

Those who reveal the secrets are treated well but failed...those who dont are treated more badly.

Those who dont give up for a week of interrogation and hunger are inducted and trained for 1 yr or more before being called a operator.

This happens in a himalayan town i wont name.

Last edited:
Indian Navy To Get 2 Swimmer Delivery Subs
LT_SDV.jpg

In the latest in a long and tantalisingly unclear saga, the Indian Navy was cleared last week to procure two mini submersibles -- swimmer delivery vehicles (SDVs) -- for special operations in shallow water. Naval documents on the programme that I've had a chance to see list the mission profiles as "(a) insertion and extraction of combat teams for multipurpose special operations, (b) reconnaissance and intelligence gathering, (c) special battle rescue operations and (d) multipurpose inspection." The documents also suggest the SDV will carry a combat team of 4-6 in addition to the two-man pilot crew.

The picture above is of an SDV being developed in-house by L&T that the company told me would be offered to the Indian Navy. It isn't clear at what stage of development the submersible is. Scant reports over the years have suggested that the SDVs the navy gets will be built at the troubled Hindustan Shipyard Ltd (HSL) in Visakhapatnam, though it isn't fully clear which SDVs these are, and whether they've been developed yet. More information soon.

Livefist: Indian Navy To Get 2 Swimmer Delivery Subs

They are 20% lighter and come with rails and add more flexibilty.

buddy in a 70km march you have to even think about carrying 500gms extra.

No point asking them ;)

They told about how the recruits are divided into one team which is left in a jungle who are ambushed on the 7th day after bein left hungry for days.

The guys doing the ambush are the blue team or SF operators who capture them and then beat the hell out of them in interrogation.

Those who reveal the secrets are treated well but failed...those who dont are treated more badly.

Those who dont give up for a week of interrogation and hunger are inducted and trained for 1 yr or more before being called a operator.

This happens in a himalayan town i wont name.

what is the duration of probation period?? is it 6 months??

Indian Navy To Get 2 Swimmer Delivery Subs
LT_SDV.jpg

In the latest in a long and tantalisingly unclear saga, the Indian Navy was cleared last week to procure two mini submersibles -- swimmer delivery vehicles (SDVs) -- for special operations in shallow water. Naval documents on the programme that I've had a chance to see list the mission profiles as "(a) insertion and extraction of combat teams for multipurpose special operations, (b) reconnaissance and intelligence gathering, (c) special battle rescue operations and (d) multipurpose inspection." The documents also suggest the SDV will carry a combat team of 4-6 in addition to the two-man pilot crew.

The picture above is of an SDV being developed in-house by L&T that the company told me would be offered to the Indian Navy. It isn't clear at what stage of development the submersible is. Scant reports over the years have suggested that the SDVs the navy gets will be built at the troubled Hindustan Shipyard Ltd (HSL) in Visakhapatnam, though it isn't fully clear which SDVs these are, and whether they've been developed yet. More information soon.

Livefist: Indian Navy To Get 2 Swimmer Delivery Subs

what is the duration of probation period?? is it 6 months??
Didnt ask that
More info on the PARA (SF)'s selection/training process including the dreaded "hell week":

Tarmak007 -- A bold blog on Indian defence: Making of Predators: Taking a soldier beyond his physical and mental limits

Indian Special Forces | Page 237

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom