What's new

Indian Space Capabilities

Sir i read that news. ISRO said that on thrusday 11.30pm they will reveal what our chandrayaan I Found on moon. ISRO in touch with NASA. infact when asked to ISRO about mission which was 95percent successful then ISRO told that NASA said it was 100percent successful. Am excited to see what Our chandrayaan I Found on moon. ISRO said its a biggest suprice ever. i wish we found real water or atleast evidence of it.

SIR; Do not only get excited; SIR; You need to sacrifice yourself to

drink the water SIR; Do not ask what your country can do for you

SIR ; Ask yourself what you can do for your country SIR. :smitten:

:pakistan::china:

Upon witnessing it outside the paradise (since they;re not allowed inside), the reporters and scientists of Chandrayaan had a wet dream and found water on the moon instead.

If pakistan does not have the technology to explore space, it better keep quite as our scientists have done wonders in this field, We did dream of India exploring space andWe did it... But what have u been able to do rather criticise the thoughts, Its a Known Fact that SUPARCO cannot even dream of this which we started nearly 4 decades ago...

If pakistan does not have the technology to explore space, it better keep quite as our scientists have done wonders in this field, We did dream of India exploring space andWe did it... But what have u been able to do rather criticise the thoughts, Its a Known Fact that SUPARCO cannot even dream of this which we started nearly 4 decades ago...

lol get ready to be threatened for ban!:rolleyes:

on a different note, NASA and ISRO chandrayaan team will hold a press conference on 2 AM EST today and declare the news officially.awesome work by ISRO!! congrats!! :cheers::bounce:

This is from NY times-

In Surprise, Moon Shows Signs of Water

By KENNETH CHANG
Published: September 23, 2009

There appears to be, to the surprise of planetary scientists, water, water everywhere on the Moon, although how many drops future astronauts might be able to drink is not clear.

Data from three spacecraft indicate the widespread presence of water or hydroxyl, a molecule consisting of one hydrogen atom and one oxygen atom as opposed to the two hydrogen and one oxygen atoms that make up a water molecule. The discoveries are being published Thursday on the Web site of the journal Science.

“It’s so startling because it’s so pervasive,” said Lawrence A. Taylor of the University of Tennessee, Knoxville, a co-author of one of the papers that analyzed data from a National Aeronautics and Space Administration instrument aboard India’s Chandrayyan-1 satellite. “It’s like somebody painted the globe.”

For decades, the Moon has been regarded as a completely dry place. The dark side is more than ice cold, but when it passes into sunlight, any ice should have long ago been baked away. The possible exceptions are permanently shadowed craters near the Moon’s poles, and data announced this month by NASA verified the presence of hydrogen in those areas, which would most likely be in the form of water.

If water is somehow more widespread, that could make future settlement of the Moon easier, especially if significant water could be extracted just by heating the soil. Oxygen would also be a key component for breathable air for astronauts, and hydrogen and oxygen can also be used for rocket fuel or power generation.

Samples of lunar soil brought back from NASA’s Apollo missions about four decades ago actually did show signs of water, but most scientists working with the samples, including Dr. Taylor, dismissed the readings as contamination from humid Houston air that seeped in before the rocks were analyzed at NASA’s Johnson Space Center.

“I was one of the ones back in the Apollo days that was firmly against lunar water,” Dr. Taylor said.

ef15c35ee3d013b8c5cfc2fb54cfd1d7.jpg

Images of the Moon captured in 1999 by the Cassini spacecraft show regions of trace surface water (blue) and hydroxyl (orange and green).

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/24/science/space/24moon.html?hpw

Last edited:
The threads been derailed and the News has been proven false.

I think its about time Mods should close this thread.

From the Washington post- good read

It's not lunacy, probes find water in moon dirt

By SETH BORENSTEIN
The Associated Press
Wednesday, September 23, 2009; 5:42 PM

WASHINGTON -- The moon isn't the dry dull place it seems. Traces of water lurk in the dirt unseen.

Three different space probes found the chemical signature of water all over the moon's surface, surprising the scientists who at first doubted the unexpected measurement until it was confirmed independently and repeatedly.

It's not enough moisture to foster homegrown life on the moon. But if processed in mass quantities, it might provide resources - drinking water and rocket fuel - for future moon-dwellers, scientists say. The water comes and goes during the lunar day.

It's not a lot of water. If you took a two-liter soda bottle of lunar dirt, there would probably be a medicine dropperful of water in it, said University of Maryland astronomer Jessica Sunshine, one of the scientists who discovered the water. Another way to think of it is if you want a drink of water, it would take a baseball diamond's worth of dirt, said team leader Carle Pieters of Brown University.

"It's sort of just sticking on the surface," Sunshine said. "We always think of the moon as dead and this is sort of a dynamic process that's going on."

The discovery, with three studies bring published in the journal Science on Thursday and a NASA briefing, could refocus interest in the moon. The appeal of the moon waned after astronauts visited 40 years ago and called it "magnificent desolation."

The announcement comes two weeks before a NASA probe purposely smashes near the moon's south pole to see if it can kick up buried ice. Over the last decade, astronomers have found some signs of underground ice on the moon's poles. But this latest discovery is quite different. It finds unexpected and pervasive water clinging to the surface of soil, not absorbed into it.

"It is drier than any desert we have here," Sunshine said.

The water was spotted by spacecraft that either circled the moon or flew by. All three ships used the same type of instrument that looked at the absorption of a specific wavelength of light that is the chemical signature of only two molecules: water and hydroxyl. Hydroxyl is one atom of hydrogen with one atom of oxygen, instead of two hydrogen atoms in water.

Because of the timing during the daylight when some of that wavelength disappears and some doesn't, it shows that both hydroxyl and water are present, Sunshine said.

This light wavelength was first discovered by an instrument on the Indian lunar satellite Chandrayaan-1, which stopped operating last month. Scientists initially figured something was wrong with the instrument because everyone knew the moon did not have a drop of water on the surface, Pieters said.

"We argued literally for months amongst ourselves to find out where the problem was," Pieters said. Sunshine, who was on the team, had a similar instrument on NASA's Deep Impact probe, headed for a comet but swinging by the moon in June. So Deep Impact looked for the water-hydroxyl signature - and found it.

Scientists also looked back at the records of NASA's Cassini probe, which is circling Saturn. It has the same type instrument and whizzed by the moon ten years ago. Sure enough, it had found the same thing.

The chance that three different instruments malfunctioned in the same way on three different spaceships is almost zilch, so this confirms that it's water and hydroxyl, Pieters said.

"There's just no question that it's there," Pieters said. "It's unequivocal."

Scientists testing lunar samples returned to Earth by astronauts did find traces of water, but they had figured it was contamination from moisture in Earth air, Pieters said.

Three scientists who were not part of the team of discoverers said the conclusion makes sense, with Arizona State University's Ron Greeley using the same word as Pieters: unequivocal.

Lunar and Planetary Institute senior scientist Paul Spudis called it exciting and said it raises the logical question: Where did that water come from?

Pieters figures there are three possibilities: It came from comets or asteroids that crashed into the moon, those crashes freed up trapped water from below the surface, or the solar wind carries hydrogen atoms that binds with oxygen in the dirt. That final possibility is the one that Sunshine and Pieters both prefer.

If it is the solar wind, that also means that other places without atmosphere in our solar system, such as Mercury or asteroids, can also have bits of water, Sunshine said.

It's not lunacy, probes find water in moon dirt - washingtonpost.com

Stick to the topic first

And second...
Kashmir is still with India.
Kargil is still with India.
Siachin is still with India.

East Pakistan.............. sorry mate I can understand your pain.

Anyways no one is calling Islam or Muslims as terrorists so refrain from calling Hindus as terrorists or calling name to the parents of someone.

Kashmir is still with India : September 23, 2009. Three Indian Soldiers, One Major killed. Same stories for last 20 years.

Kargil is Still with India : Offcourse to guard the tombs of martyrs

Siachin is Still with India : Yes, Yes as siachin is a piece of decoration. By the way Pakistan also have it.....

East Pakistan........... Well you must know the pains because we Muslims crushed your Akhand Bharat Ideology in '47. Common pains na.....

KIT Over n Out.

This is going way wrong..... Where are Mods?

courageneverdies you are going way out of order, I recommend you behave your self. We are here to discuss, this is a forums. You should join groups on Orkut or other places where this kind of language is accepted.

BTW, the picture you posted is at least 6 years Old. Because I received it in email in 2003 or 2004.

first of all i would request mods to have a look at this thread !!!! 90% posts are offensive and shameful to come from some very good senior members.

abusing peronally , coutnry , relgion . faith. unacceptable - some of these isiots need to grow up.

-X-X-X-X-X-X-X-X-X-X-X-X-X-X-X-X-X-X-X-X-X-X

a few points to be made !!!

1. the water is found in molecules - its not as if we found some lake or sea. A football field sized area MAY equate into about 1 cup of water.

2. the water was found - by a tracing device designed by nasa on Indian lunar mission .

3. its a great discovery and not just india and united states but whole world should take credit for it.

4. moon is not property of united states and india.

5. enough of derailing - some of you idiots - need to cut this bullshyt and get back to topic.

6.it will give hope for lunar colonisation.

7. chandra yan was not a failure afterall.

8. pakistani brothers shouldnt make - statment out of jealousy.

9. indian brothers shouldnt make statment our of - too much hype.

10. we cant even use water from our own sea. this is moon water may contain anythign from virus to some deadly chemical.

-----------------

on lighter node .

we must all be happy - and lets screw the earth even more - because when we stuff this planet up, then we can go there and stuff the moon up.

and it will be sure fun to go fishing - on moon i would like to catch some lunar trouts and for main course you will get lunar squid.

this one goes out to all my yank friends - what a laugh - they been to moon and clain to be super power in space technology. but who found the water ?????? a third world country ay ?????? pffffftt shame ..... loool ( j.k)

i think next chandrayan mission should be to find - GOLD!!!!! that will stuff up the whole world economy !:cheers:

a few points to be made !!!

1. the water is found in molecules - its not as if we found some lake or sea. A football field sized area MAY equate into about 1 cup of water.

2. the water was found - by a tracing device designed by nasa on Indian lunar mission .

3. its a great discovery and not just india and united states but whole world should take credit for it.

4. moon is not property of united states and india.

5. enough of derailing - some of you idiots - need to cut this bullshyt and get back to topic.

6.it will give hope for lunar colonisation.

7. chandra yan was not a failure afterall.

8. pakistani brothers shouldnt make - statment out of jealousy.

9. indian brothers shouldnt make statment our of - too much hype.

10. we cant even use water from our own sea. this is moon water may contain anythign from virus to some deadly chemical.

-----------------

on lighter node .

we must all be happy - and lets screw the earth even more - because when we stuff this planet up, then we can go there and stuff the moon up.

and it will be sure fun to go fishing - on moon i would like to catch some lunar trouts and for main course you will get lunar squid.

this one goes out to all my yank friends - what a laugh - they been to moon and clain to be super power in space technology. but who found the water ?????? a third world country ay ?????? pffffftt shame ..... loool ( j.k)

i think next chandrayan mission should be to find - GOLD!!!!! that will stuff up the whole world economy !:cheers:

I think ISRO will be giving the final verdict and details of the findings over the week. They still have some doubts. As per the report on the page 1 posted by one of Pakistani friends.

THIS IS TOTAL NONSENSE!

The moon's gravity is too small to retain light molecules such as water vapors. The 'escape velocity' of such molecular motion have long deprived the moon of water for millions of years.

The water would freeze to ice, thus preventing it from escaping you say?????

WRONG! Please study physics to understand why. :)

THIS IS TOTAL NONSENSE!

The moon's gravity is too small to retain light molecules such as water vapors. The 'escape velocity' of such molecular motion have long deprived the moon of water for millions of years.

The water would freeze to ice, thus preventing it from escaping you say?????

WRONG! Please study physics to understand why. :)

Correct me if I am wrong.

If we have ice caps then as we go down there is high possibility of water because of increase in temprature within the surface.

So there can be a possibility. Along with that lets wait for the weekend when they will give the final word on it.

It was an american probe which actually did the study. Americans are also claiming the same but it would be sane to get to conclusions only after the final word.

Yeah Yeah.... But Umair am I merely wrong?? Havent you noticed them?? They themselves have detracked this thread, not I.

I just want to put one question, Is, what happened maybe 6 years ago, justified by any means???

KIT

It is not justified.. true.
But the thread is on a different topic and your post about Mother and stuff is not right.

Back
Top Bottom