What's new

Indian Space Capabilities

NASA Expected To Reveal Moon Mineral Mapper Shows A Lot Of Water On The Moon

Water on the moon should be used to supply fuel for fuel depots in space to enable colonization and lower cost access to space.

Reliable sources report that there will be a press conference at NASA HQ at 2:00 pm this Thursday featuring lunar scientist Carle Pieters from Brown University.

The topic of the press briefing will be a paper that will appear in this week's issue of Science magazine wherein results from the Moon Mineralogy Mapper (M3) aboard Chandrayaan-1 will be revealed. The take home message: there is a lot of water on the Moon. Stay tuned. (H/T Transterrestrial) Water can exist at the lunar poles in the form of ice and could exist further underground in other locations. We will find out on Thursday on the particulars.

The Moon Mineralogy Mapper (M3) is one of two instruments that NASA is contributing to India's first mission to the Moon, Chandrayaan-1 (meaning "Lunar Craft" in ancient Sanskrit), which launched on October 22, 2008. M3 is a state-of-the-art imaging spectrometer that will provide the first map of the entire lunar surface at high spatial and spectral resolution, revealing the minerals of which it is made.

:cheers:Lets wait for Thursday.:bounce:

NASA Expected to Reveal Moon Mineral Mapper Shows A Lot of Water on the Moon

Man I not a big techie.... Can some one enlighten me on this simple thing I heard from some one.

The way we are launching satellites and everything our space is almost free for us.... because all the money invested comes back...

Ok i know this sounds stupid but really I dont know about this.:undecided:

There is A Lot of Water on the Moon

Reliable sources report that there will be a press conference at NASA HQ at 2:00 pm this Thursday featuring lunar scientist Carle Pieters from Brown University. The topic of the press briefing will be a paper that will appear in this week's issue of Science magazine wherein results from the Moon Mineralogy Mapper (M3) aboard Chandrayaan-1 will be revealed. The take home message: there is a lot of water on the Moon. Stay tuned.

NASA to Reveal New Scientific Findings About the Moon, NASA

"NASA will hold a media briefing at 2 p.m. EDT on Thursday, Sept. 24, to discuss new science data from the moon collected during national and international space missions. NASA Television and the agency's Web site will provide live coverage of the briefing from the James E. Webb Memorial Auditorium at NASA Headquarters, 300 E St. SW, in Washington. ... The briefing participants are: ... Carle Pieters, principal investigator, Moon Mineralogy Mapper, Brown University ..."

M3 AND INDIA'S FIRST MISSION TO THE MOON

The Moon Mineralogy Mapper (M3) is one of two instruments that NASA is contributing to India's first mission to the Moon, Chandrayaan-1 (meaning "Lunar Craft" in ancient Sanskrit), which launched on October 22, 2008. M3 is a state-of-the-art imaging spectrometer that will provide the first map of the entire lunar surface at high spatial and spectral resolution, revealing the minerals of which it is made.

Scientists will use this information to answer questions about the Moon's origin and development and the evolution of terrestrial planets in the early solar system. Future astronauts will use it to locate resources, possibly including water, that can support exploration of the Moon and beyond.

Moon Mineralogy Mapper -

Man I not a big techie.... Can some one enlighten me on this simple thing I heard from some one.

The way we are launching satellites and everything our space is almost free for us.... because all the money invested comes back...

Ok i know this sounds stupid but really I dont know about this.:undecided:
Sorry man i dint get u there:no:

Did Chandrayaan-1 confirm ice on the Moon?

A report in SpaceRef that the Chandrayaan-1, using its Mineralogy Mapper instrument, has found “a lot of water on the Moon” has aerospace circles buzzing. There will be a news conference at NASA headquarters this Thursday at 2 PM eastern by Dr. Carle Pieters of Brown University, the principle investigator for the Mineralogy Mapper on the Chandrayaan-1 mission.

Professor Pieters has been on the Brown faculty since 1980. Her principle area of research has been remote sensing of the Earth and other planets. Her press conference will concern a paper she is publishing in the next issue of the journal Science concerning the findings of Chandrayaan-1, including lunar ice.

Chandrayaan-1 recently finished its mission prematurely when all communication with the Indian lunar probe was loss. Chandrayaan-1 spent nearly a year in lunar orbit, mapping the lunar surface and studying its properties with a variety of instruments.

Indications of water ice in the permanently shaded areas craters at the lunar poles have been found by previous lunar probes, most recently the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter, an American lunar probe now in lunar orbit.

Confirmation of lunar ice, if it comes, will have profound implications for the future of space exploration. It would make the lunar poles among the most valuable real estate in the Solar System. Ice would constitute a source of water and of rocket fuel for future lunar settlers.

The possible discovery comes against the backdrop of the Obama administration considering the future direction—if any—of American space exploration efforts in the wake of the Augustine Report. Aerospace insiders suggest that the discovery of lunar ice would provide an impetus toward returning to the Moon and making it the first bridgehead for the expansion of humankind into the Solar System. Whether the Obama administration shares that view remains to be seen. The Augustine Committee has stated that no program of exploration will work without a three billion dollar a year increase in NASA’s budget. The Obama administration may be reluctant to make that commitment, as space exploration has traditionally been a low priority, especially to Democratic White Houses.

Did Chandrayaan-1 confirm ice on the Moon?

I mean when we launch satellites for other coutries we get paid for it and this payment makes our space program to almost free of cost. We get return of investment so made.

last time india got 11million dollar= 50-55 crore app. from italy

this nothing copmpare to thousand crore budget of ISRO....

so our space program cannot become free ... just by launching small satellite...

but we can make our space launch like today ... free of cost...:cheers:

and also when Avatar is ready ,which severly decrease the launching cost and increase the usefull payload then we can have a different story...
:)

The real challenge will be to see if the upcoming gslv launch comes thro ok.It uses the indigenous cryogenic engine for the first time.

The real challenge will be to see if the upcoming gslv launch comes thro ok.It uses the indigenous cryogenic engine for the first time.

yeah agree if that is succcessfull....

then next step will be MARK-III....:pop:

Sir i read that news. ISRO said that on thrusday 11.30pm they will reveal what our chandrayaan I Found on moon. ISRO in touch with NASA. infact when asked to ISRO about mission which was 95percent successful then ISRO told that NASA said it was 100percent successful. Am excited to see what Our chandrayaan I Found on moon. ISRO said its a biggest suprice ever. i wish we found real water or atleast evidence of it.

Back
Top Bottom