What's new

Indian Space Capabilities

It doesn't matter how rich India is, how many hundreds of million are under the poverty level, how many could be helped with the money going into the lunar program? There is an opportunity cost for every action.

That is the question and comparison you are refusing to answer. Sacrificing the present and future of some Indians may be acceptable to you in the quest for national pride, but as I said earlier, it is callous and a disservice to those who could benefit from this money.

Alright, since you don't seem to understand / appreciate my points, lets just leave it there.

As far as the opportunity cost in concerned, the benefits of a manned moon mission far outweigh the costs.

You may consider it a disservice, but obviously there are some very qualified people, who don't.

International Space Station.

Space exploration doesn't end with the ISS. It has just begun.

LOL...why don't we just leave the specifics of space exploration to those who understand it better?

One of the objectives of space exploration is also to make it hospitable for men to survive.

Get off your sarcasm and snide comments horse will ya.

You keep venturing off into "space exploration", I have indicated what specific case I was referring to. You haven't heard me criticizing the ISS have you?

Space exploration doesn't end with the ISS. It has just begun.

The point is that the ISS indicates the collaborative approach towards larger projects in space.

Alright, since you don't seem to understand / appreciate my points, lets just leave it there.

I disagree with your points -since the best you can offer on the benefits are intangibles at some distant point in the future, perhaps after an entire generation, millions of Indians, have lived and died in poverty.

Its simple really. Show me how those in poverty right now could not benefit from the money going into the lunar program.

The point is that the ISS indicates the collaborative approach towards larger projects in space.

In certain areas, yes, in other areas, no.

Besides, you need some minimum qualification (and clout) to be a part of such collaborative efforts.

Besides, you need some minimum qualification (and clout) to be a part of such collaborative efforts.
Which goes to my point earlier, that India believes that this might be one way of being invited into those efforts, and its not a bad argument.

Its simple really. Show me how those in poverty right now could not benefit from the money going into the lunar program.

I don't intend to prove anything of the sort.

You are simply repeating your earlier argument of weighing the benefits of social development versus those of a manned moon mission.

I have already said that they have completely different objectives that cannot and should not be compared.

Rocket fuel as cheap as a bottle of water - Newindpress.com

Rocket fuel as cheap as a bottle of water
Friday June 13 2008 03:19 IST
ENS | Manoj K Das

KOCHI: A litre of rocket fuel that costs less than a bottle of bottled drinking water! India has begun research activities to make this a reality with a view to bringing down launch expenses.

Scientists at ISRO’s Liquid Propulsion Systems Centre have entered the second stage of a research programme to gift the country with a semi-cryogenic fuel known as loxkerosene at a cost of less than Rs 15/kg. The solid fuel that powers rockets costs about Rs 1500/kg.

Lox-kerosene consists of refined kerosene and liquid oxygen. “The kerosene will cost about Rs 18/litre and liquid oxygen Rs 6/litre. A litre of lox-kerosene will cost only about Rs 12 to 15/litre,” sources told this website's newspaer.

ISRO is in talks with senior scientists of Ukraine to update its knowhow. “Ukraine will not be a partner in this venture.We’re engaged in technological consultation with Ukraine. It’s scientific community played a big role in developing semi-cryogenic technology during the USSR days,” the sources added.

India is decades behind the US and Russia in the development of semicryogenic technology. In fact, the US used the liquid oxygen-kerosene combination to land Armstrong on the moon. “They used lox-kerosene to power a 500-tonne vehicle. Our search is for a cocktail that can develop a 200- tonne thrust,” sources said.

Interestingly, India’s search for semi-cryogenic technology follows close on the heels of the initial success of its cryogenic engine. After a decade’s delay, LPSC was able to complete a 720-second firing of the cryogenic engine at a Mahendragiri test bed last year.

Scientists, however, point out that lox-kerosene will be a better proposition for more reasons than its economical impact. Storage is one of them.

Cryogenic needs liquid hydrogen and oxygen. But storing liquid hydrogen is more challenging than storing kerosene. The emphasis must be on semi-cryogenic research as there’s nothing left to prove in cryogenic technology beyond what the world knows. But semi-cryogenic is an emerging area with the concern over mounting launch costs echoing around the world.

India is planning to develop the technology by 2012 to power its reusable launch vehicle (RLV), envisaged to make the country a low-cost destination for space launches.

If successful they should put a rocket engine in every car & bring down our dependence on oil imports.:lol::lol::lol:

Rocket engine in car??? sir ji, r u trying to say every body flying?????:undecided::azn:

Well I would love that idea:cool::smokin:

The Hindu News Update Service

Chandrayaan instruments wired up for possible Sept. 19 launch
New Delhi (PTI): India's maiden moon mission Chandrayaan-I has reached a major milestone as scientists completed the integration of all instruments onto the spacecraft and are aiming to launch it by September 19.

Space scientists at ISRO last week completed the integration of the 11 instruments -- six indigenous and five under international cooperation -- onto the spacecraft which is no bigger than a typical office cubicle.

"We are now carrying out detailed integrated tests to ensure all systems work as per the expectations and to record spacecraft level data for future reference," Mylswamy Annadurai, Project Director of Chandrayaan-I, told PTI.

The tests are expected to last another four weeks after which the spacecraft's ability to handle the extreme thermal and vacuum environment of lunar orbit will be gauged. These assessments will be followed by vibration and acoustic tests.

The spacecraft needs to be shifted to the launchpad at least four weeks prior to the launch date to allow scientists and engineers to carry out necessary checks on the launch vehicle.

"At present, all these activities lead us to September 19 launch," another top scientist close to the project said.

Chandrayaan-I will be launched atop a Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle (PSLV), India's workhorse rocket with a streak of nine consecutive flawless missions.

However, the launch may happen on September 19 provided all the tests are carried out without any hitch. If any problem arises, it needs to be solved before proceeding to the next state.

Best of luck to ISRO guys

The Telegraph - Calcutta (Kolkata) | Frontpage | Star wars drill in the works

Star wars drill in the works
- Earth station to keep satellites out of line of missile fire
SUJAN DUTTA

Cartosat 2A being launched
New Delhi, June 16: Indian space scientists are setting up an earth station to keep a lookout for missiles fired at Indian satellites and take them out of the line of fire, a senior Indian Space Research Organisation (Isro) officer said here today.

The disclosure — effectively meaning that India is evolving its version of a star wars programme — came alongside a call by the army chief, General Deepak Kapur, to set up a joint military space command.

General Kapur prefaced his call with remarks on the expansion of China’s military-space projects.

China shot down one of its old weather satellites with a missile in a test on January 11 last year, becoming the third country after the US and Russia to demonstrate the capability and sparking concerns over the weaponisation of space.

The response to the Chinese ASAT (anti-satellite missile) was being prepared, Geeta Varadan, the programme director for special projects at Isro, said at a meeting on Indian military applications in space.

“The first is a geo-stationary satellite that we are trying to put up (to keep a lookout for probable missiles) and we are also setting up a ground station to monitor any object coming close to our satellites so that we can move our satellites out of harm’s way,” she said.

“There should not be a threat,” she added, “because our space programme is entirely peaceful but we have to be prepared.”

Since its inception, Isro has launched 50 satellites. Its more advanced satellites, like the Cartosat I and the recently launched Cartosat 2A, also have military applications with superior imagery technology.

Varadan said the Cartosat 2A can give sub-metre resolution (.8 metre) for pictures and was meant for cartographic purposes.

But the military would also like to use the satellite for surveillance. Varadan said Isro hoped to launch a satellite in five years that can send even sharper — at .3 metre resolution — imagery.

Kapur himself praised the quality of images that have been received so far from the Cartosat 2A. He said: “The establishment of a tri-service space command for persistent surveillance and rapid response is required in the future.” The army had taken up an initiative by creating a space cell at its headquarters.

Kapur noted that “(the) Chinese space programme is expanding at an exponentially rapid pace in both offensive and defensive content”.

He said the army, the navy and the air force had to jointly develop institutions that will eventually lead to the creation of a space command.

“The Indian Army’s agenda for exploitation of space will have to evolve dynamically. It should be our endeavour to optimise space applications for military purposes,” the army chief said.

Last week, defence minister A.K. Antony announced the creation of a space cell in the headquarters of the Integrated Defence Staff (IDS).

IDS chief Lt General Hardev Lidder, who was also at today’s meeting, said weaponisation of space was inevitable.

“We may get sucked into the inevitable military race of space-based applications in warfare and protection of space assets,” he said.

ISRO ties up with BrahMos aerospace unit

Press Trust of India / Thiruvananthapuram June 18, 2008, 14:18 IST

The BrahMos Aerospace unit here has signed an agreement with the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) for taking up engineering and integration of the space agency's launch vehicles PSLV and GSLV.

The Rs 25-crore pact involves work on ISRO's tankages, special aluminium work and all titanium work, a senior BrahMos official said here today.

The Brahmos facility will also take up space-tech related infrastructure work for ISRO's future missions.

Brahmos Aerospace established its unit here early this year by taking over the state-owned Kerala High-tech Industries Ltd (KELTEC).

Even when it was a state-run facility, the unit used to supply some components and sub-assemblies to the ISRO as well as other central scientific and defence agencies like the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO).

ISRO ties up with BrahMos aerospace unit

Isn't this news is unnecessary, this will give a chance to global non proliferation lobby to showcase the co-operation between civilian (ISRO) and military (DRDO). And pressurize to put sanctions on ISRO.

Isn't this news is unnecessary, this will give a chance to global non proliferation lobby to showcase the co-operation between civilian (ISRO) and military (DRDO). And pressurize to put sanctions on ISRO.

As long as the details of the agreement are public and freely available for inspection, it shouldn't be a problem.

The Hindu Business Line : 2009 to be a busy year for ISRO

2009 to be a busy year for ISRO
Our Bureau

Hyderabad, June 20 Flying high on its recent success of placing 10 satellites into space at one stroke, the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO), is looking ahead to a busy schedule for the next 18 months.

It has six major launches, starting with perhaps the most challenging Chandrayan I (moon mission), which is expected in September.

While September 19 is definitely the first date identified for the launch, a final decision would be taken after all the preparedness reviews are completed, the ISRO Chairman, Mr G. Madhavan Nair, said.

Following Chandrayan I, will be about 5 launches in 2009. These include RISAT (Radar Imaging Satellite), ASTROSAT (Astronomy Satellite), the Indo-French Megha-Tropiques and two commercial launches, he told newspersons on the sidelines of a technology event organised by the Andhra Pradesh Akademi of Sciences (APAS), here today.

Mr Nair refused to be drawn into commenting on either the need for a unified space command or the allegations of involvement of an NRI scientist in passing secrets to the ISRO and defence establishments.

Asked if the Indo-French Joint Mission called Megha-Tropiques, now scheduled for launch in 2009, was delayed, Mr Nair said “No. Some of the technical problems have taken time to be sorted out and it is ready for launch. The project costs around Rs 120 crore”.

The Megha-Tropiques project aims to study the water cycle and energy exchange in the tropics. A tie-up with NASA-JAXA has been forged to carryout a global precipitation mission to understand the atmospheric physics of the tropics better.

Earlier, delivering the National Technology Day lecture on Space perspective, Mr Nair said “India would maintain the leadership position in earth observations, communications and navigation satellite systems”.

The increasing launch orders from abroad and the fact that Antrix Corporation has logged nearly Rs 1,000 crore business on space-based products vindicate the growing strength of India in the global space arena, he said.

Back
Top Bottom