What's new

Indian scientist wins biggest science prize

Pride

Reaction score
Country
India
New Delhi: In a world where cricketers and film stars rake in the moolah, a college professor has trumped them all. Dr Ashoke Sen won the biggest jackpot in the world of science, the three million dollar Fundamental Physics Prize, for his work in theoretical physics.

It's been four days and the sweets still haven't stopped.

The proud scientist says, "The prize is for my work in String Theory. It is an attempt to unify quantum theory and gravity."

A former Padma Bhushan and Infosys Prize awardee, Dr Sen won the international award that was started by Russian billionaire Yuri Milner this year.

Dr Sen is also the only Indian in a group of nine winners.

Dr Sen is a theoretical physicist. So the only lab he needs for research, is a simple laptop. Dr Sen uses mathematical equations to explain the fundamental laws of nature. If the God particle found a few weeks back was the crowning glory of the science we've known since Albert Einstein, Dr Sen's work in String Theory, is the future.

"It's mainly to understand the basic constituents of nature. What are the fundamental laws that drive everything around us," says Dr Sen.

Right now the subject doesn't have any practical applications. It is mainly theoretical. But it's hard to say what will happen a hundred years from now.

For now, however, Dr Sen and his wife are having a tough time figuring out what to do with the three million dollar prize money they've just received. But one thing is certain. He isn't retiring just yet.

Indian scientist wins biggest science prize - India - Delhi - ibnlive

I know the thread title is too sensational and Media type but want to post it as it is in news. Just to add, he is working in my city, Allahabad :D for Harish-Chandra Research Institute.

Something to be proud of. :tup:

Huge number of Theoretical physicist of Indian origin are working abroad, GoI should work on bringing them back.

I posted the news couple of days ago. Dr Ashok Sen works on string theory, he's not eligible for Nobel as most of it is still hypothesis.

It is more important because here an Indian won the prize while working in India, not an Indian origin American.

By the way it's indeed the biggest science prize wrt the prize money.

I posted the news couple of days ago. Dr Ashok Sen works on string theory, he's not eligible for Nobel as most of it is still hypothesis.

It is more important because here an Indian won the prize while working in India, not an Indian origin American.

By the way it's indeed the biggest science prize wrt the prize money.

He will probably get offer from better research institutions from US and Europe...

But i hope he stays and works in India...

That is a great news...hope he will get Nobel prize as well

And as always the achiever is a Bengali.....:D

We are good in individual achievements.....why can't we rise together.....

Bengali participation in higher technical education is significant i have noticed in indian institute of science ,bangalore they are in good number compared to other states .. But west bengal is not doing good in economy front ..individually they are bright

Bengali participation in higher technical education is significant i have noticed in indian institute of science ,bangalore they are in good number compared to other states .. But west bengal is not doing good in economy front ..individually they are bright
because bengalis make good leader but bad followers. Also poor work ethics.

We work all right, it's the extreme trade unionism that resulted in major capital outflow in past. Things are changing for good.

Communism ruined west Bengal. I hope to see it reach its former glory and exceed it.

Back
Top Bottom