What's new

Indian Railways vs. Chinese Railways...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did I say not to increase speed? I said with current building blocks we can invest to atleast take the operation speed to 190km/hr without bringing any new engines. Are you fool to understand this logic?

For 300+km/hr you need new technology and with high operational cost and less profit. Do you take the guarantee if it goes into loss? Which surely will.

We can only build it for technology demonstration, and not for operational use.

How and why were the metros build then? Has the Delhi metro being shut down?

In china it costs 7000 rupees(avrg), one way in HSR. We can either reduce 1000 or increase 2000.

Were the fares of Delhi metro set by comparing US, UK, Japan model or based on local estimates?

China may have diverse conditions, I am not denying that, but the wear and tear due to heat and difference in temperature in the same season is vast among the cities, due to peninsular effect, in India is higher than china. In the month of May- July the average is 39 - 38 degree celcius and peak is 49-50 degrees Celsius (Mid and South India) , which causes bent in the tracks and it is tough to maintain, and as you go north towards hills, the temperature gets colder. Then comes the monsoon and temperature falls quick.
wait, you do realize in China we have places like Northeast (my hometown) where in winter it could get to - 30~40 degrees while in summer it can reach over 30 degree? how's that change of temperature any easier to manage than in India? for tropical monsoon weather we have Hainan just as hot and rainy as India. not to mention Tibet with high altitude and Xinjiang with dust-storms and all that.
Duronto is there from intercities, and they operate at 120+km/hr , what's wrong in that? You can increase their speed to 150km/hr. And FYI, Chinese High speed rail is not to connect cities like Changsa and Nanchang. For that they have normal operating trains. You want Rajdhani in every city? Well from Bangalore to Madras, a Shatabdi can be proposed.
dude, Changsha and Nanchang are Provincial Capitals of course they are connected by HSR, that's the whole point of China building HSR anyway.
now i'm curious where did you get this idea? you think only Beijing Shanghai have HSR connection?

In china it costs 7000 rupees(avrg), one way in HSR. We can either reduce 1000 or increase 2000.
...700 rmb is from Guangzhou to Beijing, NO ONE is doing trips of 2000km everyday. it's not average at all.
i was on CRH from Shenzhen to Guangzhou today, the ticket cost me 79.5 rmb, that's more like the 'avrg'.

wait, you do realize in China we have places like Northeast (my hometown) where in winter it could get to - 30~40 degrees while in summer it can reach over 30 degree? how's that change of temperature any easier to manage than in India? for tropical monsoon weather we have Hainan just as hot and rainy as India. not to mention Tibet with high altitude and Xinjiang with dust-storms and all that.

dude, Changsha and Nanchang are Provincial Capitals of course they are connected by HSR, that's the whole point of China building HSR anyway.
now i'm curious where did you get this idea? you think only Beijing Shanghai have HSR connection?

...700 rmb is from Guangzhou to Beijing, NO ONE is doing trips of 2000km everyday. it's not average at all.
i was on CRH from Shenzhen to Guangzhou today, the ticket cost me 79.5 rmb, that's more like the 'avrg'.

there are lots of other points I have mentioned. :) ..

How and why were the metros build then? Has the Delhi metro being shut down?

It is the requirement, you don't need HSR at all. 190km/hr max, that's all.

Were the fares of Delhi metro set by comparing US, UK, Japan model or based on local estimates?

Metro runs in city and they have commuters , HSR will not have commuters as in the metro, I can bet.

there are lots of other points I have mentioned. :) ..
and your point? your argument was build on your 'evidence'.
and personally i don't really care about Indian railway anyways, just here to provide some experience related to the Chinese one.

and your point? your argument was build on your 'evidence'.
and personally i don't really care about Indian railway anyways, just here to provide some experience related to the Chinese one.

Chinese railways is according to chinese commuter , Indian commuter market is way different. There is no comparison.

Chinese railways is according to chinese commuter , Indian commuter market is way different. There is no comparison.
i actually agree, there is no comparison.
then pls comment as you like related to Indian railway, and leave the Chinese one out.
it's painful to read things like 'Changsha Nanchang have no HSR'. at least build your case on facts.

then pls comment as you like related to Indian railway, and leave the Chinese one out.
it's painful to read things like 'Changsha Nanchang have no HSR'. at least build your case on facts.

My point was, if there are no commuters then why would any railway operate between two cities an HSR? I just gave example of two cities, not necessarily those two.

HSR is not for suburban commuters... God, could you at least have a glance at this report
ImageUploadedByDefence.pk1428396816.722788.jpg

@Yizhi has replied so many "points" you have mentioned and again u reply like "other points.
Indian commuter market?
What's the difference? Delhi, metro, bus, car, motorbikes(in electric bikes), etc. Same here, Shanghai, Wuhan, Shenzhen...

What's the difference? Delhi, metro, bus, car, motorbikes(in electric bikes), etc. Same here, Shanghai, Wuhan, Shenzhen...

They want berth/compartment, 300km/hr a 2 meals in 11 hours journey and cost not more than 5000 rupees (490 RMB). If China can tell us how to do, we would love to co-operate and build this rail with your help. And I am not trolling I am serious.

The Shatabdi express, 150km/hr max, provides meal and breakfast in 8 hours journey , price 115 RMB for economy but no berth and hence less famous.

Hence they introduced jan Shatabdi, a much lower version without SC compartment, and is more famous.

and I am going through that report, will take time. :) thanks

Last edited:
Bro. I'm losing my temper, especially in crowded Metro Line2 in Shanghai.
Commuters between two cites which are two provincial capitals 350km away? Then we should commercialize that CIT500 model which can operate at 500km/h.

No business trips, no tourists, no people visiting their relatives... Then India should really return to an era before British colonization, people living in the same place and mostly never traveling to another kingdom.

No business trips, no tourists, no people visiting their relatives... Then India should really return to an era before British colonization, people living in the same place and mostly never traveling to another kingdom.
The only valid argument to have an HSR in India is for foreigners and tourists coming from different countries.

The only valid argument to have an HSR in India is for foreigners and tourists coming from different countries.
you talking about valid and invalid..
Haha! So it's valid, build it!

After going trough 15 pages and various endpoint views, i see why we are called a country of diversity :D
China Indeed did a great job by bring up HSR and that had helped them to grow further. At the same time China has worked very hard to improve its basic railway infrastructure where regular trains ply and which connects people. Its a mixed package. India also needs similar package, but is India ready for it at this moment of time, well yes and no.

India has it own set of challenges which are hard to find globally.
India needs HSR to connect business hubs, no two way about it, we saw the telecommunication revolution changed the business dynamics and in last 2 decades we have seen people have started moving, there is huge growth in public movement, be it intercity or be it within city. Indian railways has not been able to cope up with the huge influx of demand. The demand has raised in all sections, from general class to premium travellors. Under such circumstances, the best way to move forward is to build HSR to connect business centers initially and target the business travellors, who are more than willing to pay high price in order to save time. Thats why we see the first feasibility study of HSR is done for Mumbai - Ahmadabad. If we start today, its estimated that it would take 10yrs to get HSR running on that route, by that time both our economy and our transportation need will easily help us to sustain the cost of HSR.

On the other hand, India need to upgrade it basic railway infrastructure too. They have already started to doing these, but its taking its own time. Many railway stations are getting upgraded under PPP model, there are many citites where the cleaning and hygine maintenance is given to private player and we see branded food outlets on major railway stations.
Along with this railway has been upgrading its track to support speed upto 200kms, we have recently seen many test / demo rides on Agra - Delhi routes, where passenger trains with WAP-5 engines hit over 160km/hr speed and they will raise it to 200km/hr. Its easy and less costly to upgrade some of the existing routes like Delhi Kanpur, Delhi Chandigarh etc, where basic infrastructure is already there.

Once we have a dedicated freight way setup done, we would find much faster improvement in passenger carrying capacities and services along with it.

Overall I think Indian railway is improving and moving in right direction, but for sure they have pickup some galloping pace to increase the carrying capacity both in passenger and freight section.

As of now ticket booking experience on irctc or at railway counter on opening day is bitter experience than traveling in train.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom