What's new

Indian Political Corner | All Updates & Discussions.

Try and Rig EVMs: EC Takes Up Kejriwal's Challenge
Pallavi Ghosh | CNN-News18 pallavighcnnibn

Updated: April 4, 2017, 10:14 PM IST
ssicon.gif

EVMs.jpg

File photo of a polling officer holding an Electronic Voting Machine (EVM) at a training camp ahead of the Uttar Pradesh elections. (PTI/Representative Image)

New Delhi: The Election Commission is set to invite technocrats, scientists and representatives of political parties and give them a shot at tampering with the Electronic Voting Machines (EVMs) in a bid to prove they are fool-proof.

"We invite technocrats, scientists and political parties to demonstrate (tampering EVMs). We had thrown open challenge to all naysayers in August 2009 as well. But none could prove or demonstrate -ECI EVMs tamperablilty," a source told CNN-News18.

The move comes in response to Delhi Chief Minister and AAP leader Arvind Kejriwal’s challenge to the poll panel wherein he asked for 72 hours to prove that EVM machines can be tampered with.

"Give us 72 hours... I will reveal the software, and tell you how it can be tempered with," Kejriwal said in a press conference on Monday. He also demanded that the upcoming MCD voting in New Delhi be conducted on paper ballots.

Kejriwal also claimed that in Madhya Pradesh's Bhind bypolls, the EC is deploying the same EVMs that were used in Uttar Pradesh polls, which several non-BJP parties say were tampered with.

"A particular machine showed BJP winning and now even the EC has accepted that the machine had come from UP," the AAP leader said, adding that as per law these machines cannot be used before April 26.

AAP has also accused the Election Commission of siding with the BJP, and not functioning as an independent body. “EC is not behaving like a neutral body. They are behaving like an ally of the BJP,” AAP spokesperson Saurabh Bharadwaj had said.

Refuting the allegations, the Election Commission has told the AAP that instead of blaming EVMs, the party should introspect on the reasons for its defeat in Punjab. The Commission said the electronic voting machines (EVMs) are kept in a strong room after results are announced till the 45-day period of filing of election petition by any of the candidates is over.
All this drama is the reason he is CM today, but no more as hopefully people have relealised his tricks.

The report of over 100 pages alleges that powers of top bureaucrats were usurped and power was abused to benefit relatives of government functionaries by the Kejriwal government. It notes that after an April 2015 order by Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal, "it became the practice among ministers not to obtain the approval of the LG and to provide approval at their level."

The report says the decision to allot land to AAP for a party office should be considered "null and void" and also questions the allotment of an official residence to the chairperson of the Delhi Commission for Women Swati Maliwal.

The Shunglu committee reviewed 404 files of the Delhi government and says in its report that it found several irregularities in appointments, among them that of Delhi Health Minister Satyendar Jain's daughter Soumya Jain in a Mohalla Clinic project.

Mr Jung, who was engaged in a bitter power tussle by Team Kejriwal for months, had said the Delhi Chief Minister could face "criminal charges" over irregularities found by the panel. Najeeb Jung resigned as Delhi's LG in December last year and his successor Anil Baijal is yet to speak about the Shunglu committee report.

http://www.ndtv.com/india-news/gros...ent-10-facts-1677951?pfrom=home-lateststories

@Nilgiri looks like your wish of him going to jail either for the above irregualrities or in the Arun Jaitely's case will be true

Saints from PAAP are outshining other political party in corruption, on the verge of becoming epitome of corruption & anarchy...

The report of over 100 pages alleges that powers of top bureaucrats were usurped and power was abused to benefit relatives of government functionaries by the Kejriwal government. It notes that after an April 2015 order by Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal, "it became the practice among ministers not to obtain the approval of the LG and to provide approval at their level."

The report says the decision to allot land to AAP for a party office should be considered "null and void" and also questions the allotment of an official residence to the chairperson of the Delhi Commission for Women Swati Maliwal.

The Shunglu committee reviewed 404 files of the Delhi government and says in its report that it found several irregularities in appointments, among them that of Delhi Health Minister Satyendar Jain's daughter Soumya Jain in a Mohalla Clinic project.

Mr Jung, who was engaged in a bitter power tussle by Team Kejriwal for months, had said the Delhi Chief Minister could face "criminal charges" over irregularities found by the panel. Najeeb Jung resigned as Delhi's LG in December last year and his successor Anil Baijal is yet to speak about the Shunglu committee report.

http://www.ndtv.com/india-news/gros...ent-10-facts-1677951?pfrom=home-lateststories

@Nilgiri looks like your wish of him going to jail either for the above irregualrities or in the Arun Jaitely's case will be true

Ain't over till fat lady sings. Till he is behind bars I won't be satisfied :P

And even then it should not be Sasikala type (VIP) behind bars. I want this corrupt dog in general pop or closest to it as possible.

When he is released, there should be at least 5 new cases ready for him each time....or just start them while he is in jail too...so sentences can be served one after the other for rest of his miserable life. He and his cronies should severely rue the day they chose to usurp anna hazare movement for their personal use. An example needs to be made of them because genuine pro-development opposition party is sincerely needed in India to challenge BJP on merit.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...ill-be-no-harassment/articleshow/58058557.cms

UP CM Aditya Nath Yogi says he won't tolerate corruption, lawlessness, casteism & the politics of appeasement. He tells Diwakar why he won't transfer officials en masse, how he will help farmers and why he wants children to learn English from nursery. And, while his govt is yet to decide on prohibition, liquor won't be sold near residential areas, shrines, educational institutions & hospitals. Excerpts:

Q: You've started at a scorching pace. Will you be able to sustain this?
A: We'll continue at the same pace. People have given us a huge mandate. We must fulfil that by bringing in a new work culture and getting rid of the politics of casteism and appeasement, which defined UP for 15 years.

Q: It's a fortnight since you assumed office. Your initial impressions...

A: In 15 years, governance has collapsed, there's no work culture. The first priority is to put a system in place.

Q: Your intention is good, but you'll face problems, including from within...

A: People have given their mandate. The party has given me the responsibility. Keeping in mind the special condition of UP and expectations of people, we must deliver on promises.

Q: What are your government's key priorities?

A: Implementation of every promise we made. In my very first Cabinet meeting, I told my colleagues we must take on corruption, lawlessness, casteism and the politics of appeasement. We must raise resources by curbing wasteful expenditure. That's why I resolved that the hooter culture, where VIPs are provided red-beacon cars at taxpayers' expense, must end. The previous government allotted such cars to 270 people. It also planned to instal a giant wheel in Lucknow for Rs 450 crore. Officials said this was supposed to help a few get an aerial view of the city. This wasn't needed. People's money can be better utilised for welfare.

Q: But the crop loan waiver will burden UP's already stressed finances...

A: We must ensure farmers' welfare and yet control fiscal deficit. The Centre won't fund the waivers. Expenditure on this comes to Rs 36,000 crore. Along with the Rs 4,000 crore of NPAs, it adds up to Rs 40,000 crore. We plan to generate this sum by cutting wasteful expenditure of Rs 8,000 crore-10,000 crore and raising more resources. We'll return the money to banks in four to five instalments. But this isn't the only step for farmers. We want to implement a PDS on the lines of Chhattisgarh. It's a small state, yet it procures 69 lakh tonnes of paddy each year. We managed only 5 lakh-8 lakh tonnes of wheat last year. I've opened 5,000 centres to procure wheat directly from farmers. This'll help us pass on the money , which went to middlemen, to farmers. Wheat procurement price has been fixed at Rs 1,625 a quintal and another Rs 10 is paid for loading and unloading. Last year, farmers had to sell paddy for Rs 900-1,000 per quintal.

Q: Bureaucrats will be crucial for implementation of your ambitious agenda. Contrary to practice, you continue with bureaucrats who occupied key posts in the last government...

A: Bureaucracy adapts itself to the political leadership's priorities. The last government's expectations were different. I don't have a personal agenda. My priority is expeditious implementation of my party's manifesto, the Lok Kalyan Sankalp Patra. People must work 18 to 20 hours. Only then will they keep their jobs. I've to fulfil the expectations of the poor, the old, women, the girl child, youth and village people. Earlier 20-25 people worked for 4-5 hours. Now 4-5 people produce better results working 18-20 hours.

Q: So, no large-scale changes in the bureaucracy, for now...

A: There are people in the bureaucracy who are capable but couldn't give their best because they were denied the opportunity. They have capabilities that can be harnessed.

Q: But some are identified with previous regimes...

A: I'm not swayed by perceptions. But intent and track record will, of course, be examined. I don't consider transfer a solution. Nonperformers will be sent home. People will be held accountable.

Q: Did you have any inkling that you'd be told to take charge as CM?

A: I did not. After a hectic campaign, I'd decided on a week's rest. External affairs minister Sushma Swaraj called me to say I'd been included in an MPs' delegation leaving for the US and Port of Spain (Trinidad & Tobago). I welcomed the opportunity to interact with Indian-origin people settled there. On March 10, I was told the PM had struck me off the list. On March 17, Amit Shah phoned and asked me to come to Delhi. I told him the last train from Gorakhpur had left. He sent a chartered flight next morning. At his home I was told that I'd have to take charge as CM. Shah told me not to make it public. The BJP government in Uttarakhand was to be sworn in later that day. He didn't want the focus to be distracted from the Dehradun ceremony. I took the same chartered plane to Lucknow and attended the BJP legislature party meeting.

Q: Who mooted the idea of deputy CMs?

A: I did. While I've been a five-term MP, I don't have administrative experience. Other team members, too, lack it. I intend to travel across the state and felt we should have an arrangement where others can hold the fort in my absence.

Q: Education is in bad shape. How will you tackle the menace of mass copying?

A: I have asked officials for a roadmap on what they can do in 90 days, six months and a year. We've drawn up a plan to tackle copying. Here, 11 lakh children aren't enrolled in schools. They must be. Two uniform sets, of the kind private-school students wear, will be provided free to government-school students so they have the same confidence.They will get shoes, books and schoolbags. English will be introduced in government schools from nursery. Making them wait till Class VI to get familiarised with the English alphabet makes little sense.They will be taught Sanskrit from Class III and have the option of learning a foreign language from Class X. Our youngsters, who pursue higher studies in Germany or Japan, have to do three-month courses to learn languages of the host country . This won't be needed.

The UP education board should have a modern curriculum and text books on the lines of NCERT. Secretaries have been asked to examine if the 16 state universities can have a common curriculum, and how to end the copying menace. Skill development will be a focus area. We have 606 engineering colleges and only 50 of them have recognition.

We were to have one polytechnic for every 5 ITIs, one engineering college for every five polytechnics. But emphasis was on engineering colleges, which failed to get recognition, and now, enough students. They want to shut down. But the land they got at concessional rates to run educational institutions must be used for that purpose alone. They can be turned into polytechnics and skill development centres.

Student union elections across the state will be held in one week. Examinations should be over in 15 days and results out in the next 15. Schools and colleges are supposed to be open for 220 days, they barely function for 120 now. We declare holidays to mark great people's birthdays. I want schools to remain open on such special days and children to be taught about the contributions of revered figures.

Q: Your emphasis on English education will surprise critics. Your image is that of a traditionalist...
A: Traditional and modern should blend. We must protect and promote our values. Our education system must promote national ism, but should be modern and relevant to contemporary needs.

Q: Some people claim that the crackdown on slaughterhouses and the anti-Romeo squads are targeted at a particular community...

A: We aren't taking decisions based on what people look like. These are promises in our manifesto and will be implemented. I'll ensure there's no discrimination or harassment. We're implementing what was already the law. None who follows the law should worry. About harassment complaints, I've already asked people to ensure that consenting youth aren't troubled. It's no crime to sit in a park or move together. Policewomen in plain clothes will be deployed at girls' colleges and schools and will take action against those harassing students. Offenders will first be reported to their parents so they get an opportunity to mend their ways. But let's not take our eyes off the harassment girls of all communities have to endure. This is serious. It's because of this that girls of all communities are forced to discontinue studies. This can't go on.

Q: Do you plan to implement prohibition?

A: We've not taken any such decision. But a problem has been created by the previous government. Faced with the Supreme Court's order, which banned liquor vends within 500 metres of highways, they surreptitiously moved those outlets to residential areas. These started operating from April 1 and have created trouble for residents who are up in arms. I have asked the administration to ensure liquor isn't sold within 500 metres of places of worship, residential areas, educational institutions and hospitals. The previous government did something immoral. They knew their tenure was ending, but issued excise li cences for as far as 2018. These were captured by the syndicate controlling the liquor trade. I have asked for a review.

Q: Will you cancel the licences?

A: We can look at that option.

Q: As MP you changed names of localities. Humayunpur became Hanuman Puri, Urdu Bazaar became Hindi Bazaar?

A: I won't comment on that...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom