What's new

Indian Political Corner | All Updates & Discussions.

Muslim cleric backs Modi, says not wearing skull caps not a bad thing

BJP's prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi has got support from a Muslim cleric, Maulana Mehmood Madani. He said that Modi should not wear the cap for symbolic purposes as many politicians have been using the symbolic act to make a fool of Muslims.

"If you ask me to put a tilak, I won't agree, not at all. And that doesn't make me a bad person. I don't find not wearing skull cap as bad. I say that those who wear the cap fool Muslims. I want to tell them with folded hands not to make a fool of us," Maulana Madani said.

"He (Modi) should not wear the skull cap. Nobody should. It is only a symbolic thing and I don't want symbolism," he added.

Modi, in a television interview, last week had said that he will not wear skull caps just to appease someone. "Does Sonia Gandhi wear a skull cap?" he asked, adding that he would do anything to protect the rights of the minorities but would not make symbolic gestures for appeasement.

The Congress, however, said this was a clear and "unmistakable signal" of his "bias and bigotry" against Muslims.

"That is the only headgear he refuses to wear. He wore all kinds of outlandish headgears including one with a dead bird of an endangered specie. He wore the headgear of Nagaland, turban and saafa," Congress leader Shashi Tharoor said.

"By not wearing the skull cap, he is sending an unmistakable signal to his hardcore supporters that he will not cater to the needs of this community. He never misses an opportunity to signal his bias and bigotry to the nation," Tharoor added.

The BJP, however, defended Modi, with party leader Shahnawaz Hussain saying, "Skull cap is not for politics. It's for worshipping but many leaders use topi (cap) for politics. Woh Musalmanon ko topi pehnate hain (They only fool the Muslims). The Hindus and Muslims must respect each other's sentiments. The BJP does not discriminate between Hindus and Muslims. We see all as equal."

Just found out Medha Patkar is AAP candidate from my constituency :/

Make sure, she loses her deposit.

@jha saheb - How is Giriraj Singh's outburst going to impact Bihar voters in remaining 27 seat?

There were reports that Muslims are voting in good numbers for BJP this time. Why is it that a politician like him doesn't see that and think before shooting his mouth off?

In fact, it is the BJP which is ready to call off the alliance at any point and Naidu who is going out of his way to ensure its continuance. Modi has made it clear that if the TDP candidates in the three Assembly segments are not withdrawn by Monday, he would prefer Naidu not to be there at the LB Stadium meeting in Hyderabad on April 22

Hmm.. Very interesting... Naidu has found a perfect person to fight in Modi..

TDP defiance casts shadow on NDA rally in Hyderabad - The Times of India

@jha saheb - How is Giriraj Singh's outburst going to impact Bihar voters in remaining 27 seat?

There were reports that Muslims are voting in good numbers for BJP this time. Why is it that a politician like him doesn't see that and think before shooting his mouth off?

Well.. People like him are always a liability and an asset. Depends on the situation how he behaves. Till now he was an asset in this election. But now a huge liability. BJP will loose some Muslim votes for sure..

sonbhukhari.jpg

No, the part about Togadia hating Modi is true :P

I follow him on twitter. When he was asked that question there, he certainly did not say anything against Modi. He wanted people to vote for Modi. Said all Hindu objectives are the same. Now the point is he is wary of Modi, not hates him. When Modi made the remark toilets are more important than temples, a lot of Hindus were riled. So Togadia watches against these creeping tendencies of "secularism" which demands again and again that Hindu interests be sacrificed to its altar.

Last edited:
whats wrong with this firozabad seat modiji challenging EC that he will watch all the pooling booth himself ....

whats the story of FIROZABAAD ....

I think he was talking about 'those' people, not about muslims in general. Why because secular terrorist media twists everything as ordered by the Family.

praveen togadiya is here in my city ;)

Has Jayalalitha mis-calculated by spurning @narendramodi advances? AIADMK felt party could bag 30+ seats. But how plan seems in jeopardy ( )

Has Jayalalitha mis-calculated by spurning @narendramodi advances? AIADMK felt party could bag 30+ seats. But how plan seems in jeopardy ( )

yes i think she has mis calculated ;)

Back
Top Bottom