What's new

Indian Navy set to get Boeing P-8i Poseidons

Flintlock

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score

Huma Siddiqui
Posted online: Friday , May 16, 2008 at 0211 hrs

Renton (Washington State),May 15 Indian Navy will soon have an edge in the Indian Ocean once it inks $2.2 billion deal for eight maritime patrol planes from Boeing.The agreement is expected to be signed soon.

The Boeing P-8i Poseidons long-range maritime reconnaissance (LRMR)patrol aircraft will enable the Indian Navy to operate a platform almost simultaneously with the USNavy.

Richard Buck,Boeing's international programme manager for P8,said that India would be able to leverage on the substantial investment made in the P8 by the US Navy.

A lot of issues relating to the P-8i for the Indian Navy are still in the process of being sorted out,said Buck.

So far,the company officials claim that $4 billion had already been spent on the development of the aircraft.The uniqueness of the programme is that it is not being negotiated under the US foreign military sales (FMS)programme but as adirectcommercial agreement between Boeing and the Indian Navy.

Responding to a question, Buck said,"Under the request for proposal (RFP)received, the first aircraft has to be delivered within 48 months of the contract being signed and the remaining within an eight-year time frame."

Buck said,"We are offering next generation technology that will keep the plane in service till 2050at the least.Beit in an anti-submarine warfare, anti-surface warfare,intelligence gathering,surveillance or reconnaissance roles,the P8I combines superior performance and proven reliability againstanyotheraircraftflying today."

The P-8i,based on the Boeing-737 commercial airliner, was competing with the European Aeronautic Defence and Space (EADS)'s A-319 maritime patrol aircraft and other contenders in meeting 'qualitative requirements'in the technical trials held by the Navy.The P-8i,a customised version for the Indian Navy,is based on the hugely successful Boeing-737 commercial airliner.The navy had,in November 2006,expressed an interest in the aircraft as a replacement for its existing fleet of Il-38 aircraft.

US P8I aircraft at INS Rajali soon

ARAKKONAM: The P8I Orion, a next generation maritime surveillance aircraft will soon be part of the INS Rajali, a premier naval air station located at Arakkonam in Tamil Nadu.

The world’s most technologically advanced aircraft of its type, assembled by the US aerospace major Boeing, is expected to be inducted with the Indian Navy in about one and half years.

With this, India would be the first country to use the P8I Orion, which combines superior performance and proven reliability with the world’s most advanced mission system.

The P8I, a customised version for the Indian Navy, is based on the hugely successful Boeing-737 commercial airliner. The navy had in November 2006 expressed an interest in the aircraft as a replacement for its existing fleet of Il-38 aircraft that are nearing the end of their service life.

The P8I aircraft will also be armed with Harpoon missiles, torpedoes and depth bombs to give them potent anti-submarine and anti-surface warfare capability.

According to Rear Admiral Sudhir Pillai, NM, Flag Officer Naval Aviation (FONA), the aircraft is the part of 400 latest aircraft, which are to be added with the India Navy in the next 10 years.

“Moreover, in the forthcoming two plan periods our defence will have a tremendous growth in terms of technology,” he observed, while interacting with reporters at the passing out parade to mark the graduation of the 72nd Helicopter Conversion Course here on Saturday. When questioned about security measures in the wake of terrorism threats, he said, impetus has been given to the coastal security for which the Coast Guard and Navy are working together.

“On the other hand, the Officers Training Academy at Goa has been shifted to Ezhumalai in Kerala, where the officers are being trained,” he added.

On Saturday, seven pilots of the 72nd HCC attained their goal that they set out to achieve. The FONA awarded certificate of qualification and the coveted ‘Wings’ during the parade. The passing out pilots will move to new operational appointments at Mumbai, Vizag, Daman, Chennai and Kochi flights.

Hmmm I guess a 10 year period is pretty "soon" given the Indian procurement system

Actually guys the Indian version is called P-8i Orion and the US version is called P-8a Poseidon.

Hmmm I guess a 10 year period is pretty "soon" given the Indian procurement system

Strangely its already been ordered. So there's no wait period from Indian Mod. now its up to Unkil to deliver the stuff on time.

Strangely its already been ordered. So there's no wait period from Indian Mod. now its up to Unkil to deliver the stuff on time.

Well the US expects them in 2013-14 And they need 108 so lets say the first 50 or so go to the USN. Then tier one countries then other buyers. I am gonna say 2017-18 minimum for the IN

Well the US expects them in 2013-14 And they need 108 so lets say the first 50 or so go to the USN. Then tier one countries then other buyers. I am gonna say 2017-18 minimum for the IN

Boeing will deliver the first P-8I within 48 months of contract signing, and the remaining seven by 2015.

Well I think you guys should check on how Boeing did with the Wedgetail program before assuming any of that is true. I am gonna stick with my estimate until proved otherwise

Back
Top Bottom