What's new

Indian Navy puts out tender for submarine batteries

SR-91

Reaction score
Country
India
The Indian Navy (IN) has invited bids by 18 July for 2,786 Type I and Type II batteries for its fleet of nine Russian 'Kilo'-class and four German Type 209/1500 SSK submarines.

The 6 June tender for seven sets of 1,737 Type I batteries for its Type EKM 877 'Kilo' variants and two sets of 1,080 Type II batteries for the Type 209 submarines is aimed at making up shortages and replenishing reserves.

Since 2005 IN submarine battery purchases have been stymied by bureaucratic procurement procedures and a complex and time-consuming legal system, which became involved after local powerpack suppliers resorted to litigation to press their claims.

Indian Navy puts out tender for submarine batteries - IHS Jane's 360

Why cant we produce these at home?

Now we are puting out tender , COngress did not bother even after the submarine mishap ?

The Indian Navy (IN) has invited bids by 18 July for 2,786 Type I and Type II batteries for its fleet of nine Russian 'Kilo'-class and four German Type 209/1500 SSK submarines.

The 6 June tender for seven sets of 1,737 Type I batteries for its Type EKM 877 'Kilo' variants and two sets of 1,080 Type II batteries for the Type 209 submarines is aimed at making up shortages and replenishing reserves.

Since 2005 IN submarine battery purchases have been stymied by bureaucratic procurement procedures and a complex and time-consuming legal system, which became involved after local powerpack suppliers resorted to litigation to press their claims.

Indian Navy puts out tender for submarine batteries - IHS Jane's 360

Why cant we produce these at home?

Maybe there is a program to develop them underway, but there is an immediate need to replenish Indian sub batteries to ensure their operational force does not suffer any further. They are ordering thousands of batteries, which would not be quick to produce from scratch domestically.

I never came across any such news for quite some time.

why do you think anthony accepted former Navy Chief's resignation right away , both were fighting and chief knew he needed battries and its because of Anthony's incompetence those sailors died

why do you think anthony accepted former Navy Chief's resignation right away , both were fighting and chief knew he needed battries and its because of Anthony's incompetence those sailors died

I won't assume on such critical acquisitions. I'd rather look at released tenders.

Maybe there is a program to develop them underway, but there is an immediate need to replenish Indian sub batteries to ensure their operational force does not suffer any further. They are ordering thousands of batteries, which would not be quick to produce from scratch domestically.

Sub Batteries have been made in India by both Standard Batteries and Exide right from the days of the Foxtrot Subs. That import substitution project was spear-headed by an Ex-Naval Officer of the Electrical Branch who is now no more.

Sub Batteries have been made in India by both Standard Batteries and Exide right from the days of the Foxtrot Subs. That import substitution project was spear-headed by an Ex-Naval Officer of the Electrical Branch who is now no more.

Did they stop making them? What caused the current deficit and outsourcing?

The new government, eager to speed up the procurement of batteries, has invited bids from manufacturers.

The Navy intends to buy seven sets of type-I batteries - comprising 1,736 batteries - for Russian-made Kilo-class submarines.

Another two sets of type-II batteries are being ordered for the German-made Shishumar-class submarines. The two sets will have 1,080 batteries.

Sources said the purchases are meant to replenish reserves and overcome the shortage. The procurement of submarine batteries was hit hard by red tape as the Defence Ministry had stopped purchases from a particular vendor.

The issue remained embroiled in bureaucratic cobwebs and litigation between competing companies, resulting in a shortage of batteries for the navy.

Centre rushes to buy new submarine batteries as Navy suffers shortage | Mail Online

You are saying indian companies can provide good quality submarine batteries?

I hope they will replace old batteries asap as they are the reasons for incidents in submarines recently.

This tendering process had to be reduced to minimal processes soon. We cannot afford to have UPA style tendering.

I hope they scrap off half the processes involved.

Back
Top Bottom