What's new

Indian Navy News & Discussions

DRDO adds another boost to MADE IN INDIA

State firm DRDO plans to modify the C 295 military transport aircraft into a multi mission maritime aircraft to meet the requirement of Navy and Coast guards medium maritime patrol aircraft. The Navy plans to add new generation maritime patrol aircraft to boost the surveillance capabilities in Indian EEZ replacing the older Il 38 SD.

DRDO plans to integrate the existing maritime surveillance radar onboard the upcoming C 295 Aircraft. Which TATA gets license from Air Bus to produce them in India. DRDO already successfully integrated the Airborne AESA radar onboard the Brazilian Embraer. Which is going to be inducted into the air force before the end of this year.

Navy already floated an RFI which focusing medium range patrol aircraft, where Lockheed's SC 130 and Swedish Swordfish responded. However state firm DRDO offers the state of art home made maritime surveillance radar. whose ground version already operational in various naval stations across India and friendly nations.

DRDO facilitates the C 295 MMMA into many roles, MMMA stands for Multi mission maritime aircraft. Which can perform

Maritime and pollution surveillance
Search and Rescue
Cargo and Personnel transportation and
Air Ambulance

The primary maritime surveillance can be achieved with the state of art airborne maritime radar, which can work along with the integrated coastal surveillance system for better surveillance and real time data transmission with friendly units. The Radar can perform search and track mission, who keep an eye on the targeted vessel. Also Classifies it's model and operator, identifying whether it's friendly or hostile, and provide communication support to friendlies in network denied zones.

With the support of satcom link, the C 295 can communicate with the base operating center and receive real time information from either base or friendly ships. The SATCOM link connected with existing navy's communication satellite INSAT.

Not only for Navy, Coast guard also keen to procure modern maritime patrol aircraft. with the same above capability. However it's highly unlikely Coast guard may receive the C 295 based MMMA. while Navy's primary requirement include underwater detection system for anti submarine warfare, which the C 295 MMMA can't.

As per Indian orders, Air force plans to induct more than 56 C 295. where initial 18 comes directly from Air bus plant, while all future numbers will be produced in India under TATA's plant. Air force already planning to induct a gunship version to provide close air support to the ground troops by adding 30mm cannon and missile launching racks.

C 295 recently spotted in HAL air port Bangalore. Suggesting that DRDO and HAL team exploring the options to build modified C 295 to suits Air force and Coast Guard requirements.

There is a Maritime patrol aircraft available in the market based on the C 295,Navy's like Chile and Portugal already operating them. and it does have anti submarine capabilities too. The maritime variant of C 295 aka Persuader also had four outer hard points to launch anti shipping missiles.
My friend you have posted same message three times.
I too thought about Persuader for ICG becuase ultimately it's going to be produced in India but C-295 may not fit into IN requirement as it can't replace II38SD which is comparable to P3C.
But i think if navy is operating Do-228 than IN can use this too.

These Veer class corvettes are based on Soviet Tarantul class which is a good design & was built in India, Vietnam still building these vessels under name Molniya class corvettes...
All remaining navies which bought same class are using these ships.
I think these ships should be transferred to any other navy, that may be Sri Lanka.

If these ships won't transferred to any other navy then these also will be used just for target practice.
ICG may use these ships without arms as patrol vessels.

These Veer class corvettes are based on Soviet Tarantul class which is a good design & was built in India, Vietnam still building these vessels under name Molniya class corvettes...
I think these ships should be transferred to any other navy, that may be Sri Lanka.

If these ships won't transferred to any other navy then these also will be used just for target practice.
Should be replaced by L&T corvettes.......
cimg2858 (1).jpg

These Veer classjust vettes are based on Soviet Tarantul class which is a good design & was built in India, Vietnam still building these vessels under name Molniya class corvettes...

Maybe just refurbish and transfer to Vietnam , as they are just 29, and 28 year old. Not old enough to be scrapped yet.

View attachment 302604
I think this is a good design, L&T might be looking for NGMV project but this is heavily armed as NGMV doesn't have any ASW feature.
This looks like ASW corvette with PDMS & AShM, may be better than Sa'ar 5, displacement is not clear maybe 1600 tonnes or 1800 tonnes.
Sa'ar 5 vs this design.
ASW Rockets
Which is main gun on Sa'ar 5.
Max speed of Sa'ar 5 is 33Kn but this has just 25Kn.
Navy should fast track project to replace these Veer class corvettes.

Edit: This picture is from Defexpo 2010.
Maybe just refurbish and transfer to Vietnam , as they are just 29, and 28 year old. Not old enough to be scrapped yet.
What type of refurbishment these ships will require for transfer to Vietnam?

My friend you have posted same message three times.
I too thought about Persuader for ICG becuase ultimately it's going to be produced in India but C-295 may not fit into IN requirement as it can't replace II38SD which is comparable to P3C.
But i think if navy is operating Do-228 than IN can use this too.
The IN operates Do-228 right now so the C-295 would be the logical replacement to them. I do think that in the long term the IN will hand over the short and medium range maritime patrol duties to the ICG though (say by 2022) and thus make the Do-228/C-295 MPAs redundant in their service (so could/would be transfered to the ICG) HOWEVER, the IN also uses the Do-228 for utility roles and thus the C-295 will be useful to the IN for transport purposes long into the future.

View attachment 302604
Very nice, hadn't seen that model before, good for L&T.

But that is a ASW Corvette and seems to be marketed to augment the P-28 class, the Veer class will be replaced by the yet to be finalised NGMVs.

If there is any life in them and any navy is interested in them then it would be optimal to refurbish them and transfer them to friendly nations at only a marginal price so as to boost their capacity and help further India's interests. If there is no life left in them then they should be used for target practice- this is an honour warships in the IN should receive. Surely there is no better way to dispose of a warship than being used by her service to hone skills and test weaponary, a true warrior's send off.

@PARIKRAMA @anant_s @Levina @Parul @ni8mare @ito

I think this is a good design, L&T might be looking for NGMV project but this is heavily armed as NGMV doesn't have any ASW feature.
This looks like ASW corvette with PDMS & AShM, may be better than Sa'ar 5, displacement is not clear maybe 1600 tonnes or 1800 tonnes.
Sa'ar 5 vs this design.
ASW Rockets
Which is main gun on Sa'ar 5.
Max speed of Sa'ar 5 is 33Kn but this has just 25Kn.
Navy should fast track project to replace these Veer class corvettes.

Edit: This picture is from Defexpo 2010.

What type of refurbishment these ships will require for transfer to Vietnam?

I meant general repairs. As its a used one, its hull will be needed to thoroughly checked and repaired. Then its propulsion systems , cooling and water systems. Then if the customer wants any upgrade then getting proper electronics etc. Like the later ships of this class had SRGMs instead of AK176 and an upgraded radar.

By:www.brahmand.com
Indias Kalvari stealth submarine starts sea trials
MUMBAI (PTI): Kalvari, Indian Navy's first indigenous Scorpene-class stealth submarine, on Sunday sailed out of Mumbai Harbour for sea trials even as the plan to purchase heavy-weight torpedos for the vessel remains stuck due to the VVIP chopper scam.

Kalvari is the first of the India's six Scorpene-class submarines being built under the much-delayed Project 75. The vessels are being built by Mazagon Dock Limited (MDL) in collaboration with French company DCNS.

In October 2015, Kalvari had been set afloat. "The sea trials of Kalvari have begun today. It is a proud moment for us," a Navy official said.

However, the plans to acquire heavy-weight torpedos for the submarine is stuck in the Defence Ministry even though the Navy had been pushing for it, citing national security imperatives.

WASS Italy, a Finmeccanica company, had emerged as a successful bidder in the procurement for the torpedos for Project 75 submarines.

Subsequently, because of the group's alleged involvement in the VVIP helicopter case, the procurement was put on hold in July 2014.

Navy Chief Admiral R K Dhowan, while stressing on the importance of getting heavy-weight torpedos, had said that the Defence Ministry will take a final call on it.

India may have to go in for two more Scorpene-class submarines after the first six are delivered to the Navy.

Kalvari is expected to enter service by September end. The remaining five submarines are scheduled to be rolled out every nine months.

The Navy has, at present, 14 operational submarines, including nine Russian-made and four German HDW vessels.

Chakra, a Russian nuclear-powered submarine, is on lease with the Indian Navy.

India's first indigenous nuclear-powered submarine, Arihant is already undergoing sea trials and is expected to be inducted shortly............See more
remaining-five-boats.jpg

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom