What's new

Indian Navy Looking to Replace Barak-1 Missile Systems

dani191

Reaction score
Country
Israel
Indian Navy Looking to Replace Barak-1 Missile Systems
IAI and Rafael are expected to participate in the tender for a new short-range surface-to-air missile system that will replace the Barak-1 ADS on board Kamorta-class corvettes

IsraelDefense | 29/09/2019

Send to a friend
A+A-Size
Share on
Share on
INS%20Kamorta.jpg

INS Kamorta (Source: Indian Navy via Wikimedia Commons)

The Indian Navy is looking to buy short-range surface-to-air missile (SRSAM) systems to replace its Israeli Barak-1 air defense systems on board Kamorta-class corvettes.

According to a report by The Print, the Navy plans to buy the SRSAM systems for four ships, as well as some 150 missiles. Each SRSAM system will have a command and control system, a two-way datalink and a launcher for a particular number of missiles.

European missile-maker MBDA and Swedish firm SAAB are expected to participate in the bidding process, as well as Israeli companies IAI and Rafael, and Samsung of South Korea. Russian companies are also expected to offer bids.
https://www.israeldefense.co.il/en/node/40441

So, Indians realized how good Israeli weapons are....damn it now we will have to work hard.

So, Indians realized how good Israeli weapons are....damn it now we will have to work hard.
No where does it say Barak-1 is being replaced because Israeli weapons are bad. This is merely an upgrade and Israel's IAI is also participating in the replacement tender

No where does it say Barak-1 is being replaced because Israeli weapons are bad. This is merely an upgrade and Israel's IAI is also participating in the replacement tender

I think it was a year or two ago when we heard India buying Barak-I for some thousand corores. So it was a recent purchase and most probably never even got integrated into Indian weapon systems.

I think it was a year or two ago when we heard India buying Barak-I for some thousand corores. So it was a recent purchase and most probably never even got integrated into Indian weapon systems.
The last Barak-1 purchase was in 2013. If any news came out in the past 1-2 years, it's regarding the Barak-8 which has been deployed on various frigates & destroyers of the IN

That was Barak 8, which has a range of 150+ Km
This system currently equips Indian Navies Kolkata class Destroyers as well as Shivalik class frigates.

Barak 1 system was first ordered in 2001 , Its a short range system with range of 15-25 km depending upon the missiles and was installed on Delhi and Rajput class Destroyers and well as Godavari and Brahmaputra class frigates along with INS Viraat.

Now INS Viraat and Godavari class have been retired while Rajput class too will be phased out by 2023.
Delhi class Destroyers will get the Barak 8 system installed during their on going midlife refit , which will also add Brahmos ER Missiles with 450km range to replace the 250km range Klub S

Currently Indian Navies, 3000 ton, Anti Submarine warfare, Kamorta class corvettes carry the ageing Barak 1 from the godavari class and Indian navy is looking for a system that will remain capable till 2035

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom